Rear Doors

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Rear Doors

Postby Kim Armstrong » Wed May 29, 2019 6:11 am

What is your preference, barn doors or a ramp? I can see pros and cons to both but have never used either one. I like the ramp because it looks like you could use it for more space. I'm not going to haul 4 wheelers or things like that. Thanks for any help.
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: Rear Doors

Postby Vspec » Wed May 29, 2019 7:47 am

Depends if you plan on hauling anything or plan on converting back to cargo only duties.

Ramp has the best resell value.
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby onehoser » Wed May 29, 2019 8:30 am

i prefer the barn door style, and with hindsight being 20-20 i should have ordered the double doors instead of the single. my 5x8 is too small to have an rv door as it will interfrere with the bed
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby NO David! » Wed May 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Barn doors for me...I can always add a portable ramp. While a ramp door does offer a "deck" option it also takes up lots of space when opened, think short campsite, or trees for example.

Inclement weather loading/unloading/access to the rear of the trailer means, everything gets wet. I've seen folks use barn doors at 90 degrees open and hang a shower curtain for outdoor shower for example. If I need to load/unload at home, I can open the doors 270 degrees, latch and back the trailer right up to the garage door if it's raining.

Hey, here was another discussion we had about door choices:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63328

Since you are researching a build, here's a short list of things to consider, from another thread:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=71128
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Wed May 29, 2019 2:02 pm

If your primary use does not involve rolling in "toys" and you don't care about the possibilities for a rear deck, go with barn doors. Definitely less complex and other pros as mentioned. Like almost everything, however, it is a choice that depends on your needs and preferences.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby beachguy005 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:16 pm

I have barn doors that I use with props to hold them open at 90 degrees. Easier to pull closed from inside, at night when it cools down, or starts raining.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby Kim Armstrong » Wed May 29, 2019 3:27 pm

As always you all came up with things I didn't think about. Like I said I have never had either one. Will be going with barn doors. Anything else I should consider? This is my first one. Thanks
Kim Armstrong

Postby beachguy005 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:57 pm

Another door issue to consider. I have side doors on both sides. My layout is pretty simple as the CTC is only a 5x12, but it makes it easier on camp sites knowing I'll always have a door on the camp side of the CT if I back in or pull in.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby onehoser » Wed May 29, 2019 4:03 pm

have an rv latch installed in the barn door if you don't have a rv/man door
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby NO David! » Wed May 29, 2019 10:21 pm

Kim Armstrong wrote:As always you all came up with things I didn't think about. Like I said I have never had either one. Will be going with barn doors. Anything else I should consider? This is my first one. Thanks

Somewhere I have a list posted, but can't seem to find it. Let's see if I remember:
-Factory installed RV door 36" wide with screen door and opaque window. Absolute best money spent!
-Windows, high and offset for light and cross-flow ventilation, makes trailer feel bigger, less coffin-like, also keeps wall space available below window. Thanks "Gonefishin!"
-Vertical e-track, creates numerous modular mounting options for stuff.
-2 or 4 stab jacks welded on at factory make for stable setup
-Tandem axle even if you don't need the weight carrying capacity
-I chose spring axle to gain ground clearance, most are 4" drop axle
-Just added 12V LED tape lights to ceiling, replacing burned out rope light. Amazing technology.
-Single RV step at RV door.
-Choose a trailer built with 1" square tubing walls/ceiling instead of Z-stud, and be sure there are real screws in the plywood (not OSB) walls, instead of the stupid nails that look like screws!
-Always order a trailer 2" longer than you think you need.

Just for ideas, here's a leftover new Cargo Craft 7x16 Expedition Series in Little Rock. Similar to mine, but drop axles, ramp door. (I actually ordered the fancier Expedition model but with Explorer axle setup for the higher clearance, then added options).
https://www.rivervalleyrentalandsales.com/2017-cargo-craft-7x16-enclosed-cargo-trailer-qs9b|3ac.html

The Cargo Craft plant in Corsicana, TX builds these off road themed trailers. Not terribly far from you. I imagine they will custom build whatever you want through your preferred local dealer. Mine was built in their Georgia plant. Had a few hiccups on the custom order but they sent a crew a day's drive to my house to correct it. I'd like to see another manufacturer follow through like that. In short, I'd buy from them again, just hold tighter communications.
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby Kim Armstrong » Thu May 30, 2019 10:09 am

Thanks everyone for the advice. No David, Thanks for the info. I searched online for cargo trailers in my area and it never showed the River Valley Equip. Co. That is not far from me. We have 2 places that I know of here in Arkansas that build trailers. One of them ( Trailer Country ) looks like they make a good one but I have talked to them, not very friendly. Will be checking out the other one ( Load N GO) in a couple of weeks. Got to let the water go down some. :shock:
Kim Armstrong

Postby NO David! » Thu May 30, 2019 11:15 am

Cool.

FWIW, River Valley also has Homesteader brand trailers. They seem well built, maybe a tad better than my Cargo Craft, and I've spoken with their factory in Tennessee, (on behalf of a friend, and long after I purchased my Cargo Craft), and they will also do custom builds as well. I was really surprised at how little extra it cost to order the extras installed at the factory. Much easier than fooling it it after it was built.
https://homesteadertrailer.com/service/hercules-series/
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby jwhite » Thu May 30, 2019 3:22 pm

The main reason I built was to haul a golf cart and if I needed to move something if needed, I do like to use the drop down ramp like a deck area I also have a canopy that covers the ramp I recently made a screen room so I have many ways to use that space.
as for supports buy 4 5gallon buckets from lowes 2 under each corner is the perfect height.
one time the cables jumped track I had to find 4guys to help me close the ramp I took it to a garage door company and they rewound it. 50.00 and I need to go back but it seams to work fine?
some times it feels really heavy to lift so if your older or week it may be to much..
the barn doors are less work opening or closing.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby travist » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:06 pm

I would say if you aren't hauling toys consider a lift gate. Like a ramp that opens up. Makes an awning, which is great for putting a kitchen in the back like a tear drop.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
travist
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions