New Cargo Conversion Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

New Cargo Conversion Build

Postby XR-duous » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:41 pm

I was finally able to get a trailer. I've been wanting to do this for a while now. Most toy haulers just don't have enough cargo space to suit my needs, plus I don't need a lot of the fancy stuff. This will probably be slow, as I spent all my money just to get the trailer, lol. My plans are to punch a couple windows in, add some Cabinetry, flooring, bed, probably a 30amp connection, TV, fridge, ac, and tiny sink. It came wired for 110 and basic battery, but I think I'll have to redo much of that. This is a 20' Najo Trail Boss. It looks to me like the company is out of business. I have always planned to do an elevated bed on pulleys, but now I'm not sure losing that head space is going to be the best for loading. Have any of you regretted going that route? Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Re: New Cargo Conversion Build

Postby Padilen » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:01 pm

That's a different style! Nice and unique.
Most that do loft beds heve at least a 7' interior.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Folding beds work nice depending on what you are going to haul. I made mine so they can fold up to the wall or be completely removed. Another option until you recover fund wise is to use a blow up mattress, folding cots, or hammocks.

dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby XR-duous » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Yes, padilen. I'll post another pic so you can really see it, but the trailer does have unique styling. That's part of what caught my eye. The ceiling height on this one is 6'5", but it loses a small bit as it rolls to the sides.

We do plan to use blow up mattresses at first, since we have them from tent camping. That will certainly buy us time. I ordered the flooring already and have been polishing and touching up. I need an ac next so we can camp in July.

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:01 pm

Cool looking trailer.

Since you already have blowup mattresses you could do a couple of beds that fold completely flat against the side walls. They should be inexpensive and work until you decide you want to do something different.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:02 pm

XR-duous, Howdy;

Welcome to the mix. Good looking ( bit different), trailer. Nut'in wrong with different,
if there was, ... none of us would be here.

6' 5" is still a tight squeeze for an elevated bed. Don't forget you still need space for
turning over or for whoever is furthest to the rear to get over the front person for a
midnight snack or to use the "facilities" such as they may be. or just canoodling' around
:thinking: , :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:21 pm

hankaye wrote:6' 5" is still a tight squeeze for an elevated bed. Don't forget you still need space for
turning over or for whoever is furthest to the rear to get over the front person for a
midnight snack or to use the "facilities" such as they may be. or just canoodling' around
:thinking: , :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hank

"I can't get over you, Babe. So you get the phone...." ;)

But seriously folks... I love my air bed. I sleep better in there than 1500.00 Thermopedic upstairs. 2-3 min. to deploy or take down and store. I use it as a couch as well. Best 50.00 I ever spent. Solved the bed issue in my Harley Hauler.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DV3K5S7/re ... 3e6f0a290b

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby fishboat » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 am

McDave wrote:But seriously folks... I love my air bed. I sleep better in there than 1500.00 Thermopedic upstairs. 2-3 min. to deploy or take down and store. I use it as a couch as well. Best 50.00 I ever spent. Solved the bed issue in my Harley Hauler.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DV3K5S7/re ... 3e6f0a290b

McDave

+1. My back can be picky at times and I sleep on a latex mattress at home, but when camping I use a $15-$20 queen air mattress. It's about 8 inches thick. The one I have now is entering its 4th season..I sleep great. Air mattresses can feel cool when you lay on them...I place a reflective blanket on it, silver side up, and it'll feel nice and warm:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K ... UTF8&psc=1
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby XR-duous » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 am

I got my sway hitch set up and trailer brakes installed. I found a roof ac (Mach 10) on fb for $250 that's only 1 year old. Seriously thinking about snagging it. I sold another small trailer, so I have a little to build with now. July camping is getting closer to a reality.ImageImageImageImage

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kirkupnorth » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Welcome, XR-duous! It's always fun to watch another build come together. Glad to see you're taking pics as you go -- keep 'em comin!

We did a 6x12 last year. I have fun picturing what you'll do with all that space -- can't wait to see it!
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby XR-duous » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 pm

It doesn't feel like that much space once you start trying to figure out how to load everything. I pulled the flooring out and started playing with how to load the toys. I have hdx diamond plate flooring in the mail. I also cleaned up and touched up some areas that were in need around the gate. It's looking pretty good! Image

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby XR-duous » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Prepping for the hdx flooring that came in today. I ended up finding a soft spot right at the end by the gate.

I missed out on that rooftop ac. I can't imagine a 5000 btu window unit would be nearly large enough to keep that space cool, but those units are plentiful and cheap. Makes me want to test the theory. Image

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NO David! » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:14 am

Neat trailer! Welcome to the farm. I've seen one of those somewhere else, maybe out in the Northwest. Anyhow, for some reason, I liked the construction, and it is unique.
A few things look familiar, brake controller install, caught my attention. I think my A/C was a 6,500 BTU and with insulation, works well and cools my 7x16. A few folks have built the folding beds with the hinged part offset just enough from the wall for the thickness of the mattress.
My 7x16 for reference:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345

My Montero brake controller:

Beds example:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=71535

A/C discussion from "the way back machine":
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=49438&start=15

I'll have to look for it, but another member here did an elevated bed that doubled as a Mountain bike rack that left space below, that might be enough for the 4-wheeler? (I know, the mind is a terrible thing...).
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby XR-duous » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 pm

Progress report: Started painting the interior fenders and got most of the floor done. I still have some gluing, trimming and painting to do, but it's getting pretty close.ImageImageImage

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Holy Jeans Batman! That flooring looks great!
Pretty tough to beat that stuff for the money. Are you planning to do the ramp as well? I did mine. I think it makes a nice finished look for the rear wall. You are making some good progress there, I can see camping in the near future.
Rock on XR-duous.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions