My conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

My conversion

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:39 pm

A couple years ago I bought a new 7x16 v-nose cargo trailer for hauling gear around. After reading about conversions I decided to work on making it a multi-purpose unit capable of hauling cargo, short term camping, and driving into a field to set duck/goose decoys for hunting. That means everything camping wise inside would have to be removeable so I could haul cargo, I'd need the creature comfort infrastructure installed and ready to go, and I'd nee enough ground clearance for field work. Not really what folks are usually going for in a conversion I suppose.

Still have a long way ways to go, but now the major mechanical stuff is done, which was out of my league, and that clears the way for me to start the interior modifications. This is a 7x16 trailer with a 2 ft v-nose, and has an interior height of 7' 3". Now has 7000 lb straight axles (stock was 3500), 5600 lb springs, 8 lug 16" wheels with load range E tires, load leveling hitch, electric tongue jack, dual 6 volt batteries in a lockable box (batteries charge when hooked to shore power or to the tow vehicle), sliding window in the walk door, a sliding window on each wall, 30 amp RV hook up with electrical panel and 12 volt converter, overhead vent with 3 speed Fantastic fan, 1 1/2" thick floor, 3/4" plywood walls 1/4" plywood ceiling, fully insulated walls and ceiling with rigid foam board, folding entry steps, folding hand rail, and 4 interior electrical outlets. Also now has 18" of ground clearance for the lower deck. And yes, I need to build the cabinet to properly mount the electrical panel. Right now it's packed to the gills with boxes to go from California to Montana, and it's maiden voyage for camping will be the end of July. By then I hope to have the cabinet built for the electrical panel and the rear bed system in place.

Always open to suggestions.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
Mean Gene
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My conversion

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:07 pm

Nice start! :thumbsup:

Interior can be as simple as hammocks or more complex with removable sections. I'm excited to seeing how you go forward with this.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:44 pm

Rainier70 wrote:Nice start! :thumbsup:

Interior can be as simple as hammocks or more complex with removable sections. I'm excited to seeing how you go forward with this.

Yep. I'm thinking for a bed system across the back I'll mount vertical eTracks on the walls and use the connectors that hold 2x4 or 2x6, a piece of plywood and a 4" foam topper. That way I can adjust bed height at will and have the option of 2 beds or one dependent upon needs at the time. Then I can take out the bed frames and still have the eTracks in place. We'll see.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
Mean Gene
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kirkupnorth » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:41 am

You're off to a great start, Gene!!

We're looking forward to watching your build. You've got a nice size trailer to work with. Take lots of pictures, and have fun with it! :thumbsup:
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:26 am

Agree! I really like the straight axle swap. Keep us posted on your move and progress.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Mean Gene wrote:

Yep. I'm thinking for a bed system across the back I'll mount vertical eTracks on the walls and use the connectors that hold 2x4 or 2x6, a piece of plywood and a 4" foam topper. That way I can adjust bed height at will and have the option of 2 beds or one dependent upon needs at the time. Then I can take out the bed frames and still have the eTracks in place. We'll see.

Vertical E-Track is what I went with. Works great. I made mine a fold up bunk system. It can be completely removed if needed for hauling. Even with one bunk folded and on down I can get my motorcycle in and tied down. I've since installed horizontal E-track outside for creating a table.

If I had known about X-track I probably would have gone that route since you can mount the clips either way.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=70317
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby hankaye » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:46 pm

dirtsailor2003, Howdy;

Excellent tip on the X-track, had to look it up. Answers a lot of questions. :thumbsup: , :thumbsup: !!
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... rail-60-in

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions