Diamond cargo trailers

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Diamond cargo trailers

Postby Carolina_coast99 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 am

I would greatly appreciate any opinions on Diamond Cargo Trailers out of Douglas GA.
How is their craftsmanship and build quality etc ..?.
Thank you
Carolina_coast99
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Diamond cargo trailers

Postby crpngdth2001 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:11 am

Carolina_coast99 wrote:I would greatly appreciate any opinions on Diamond Cargo Trailers out of Douglas GA.
Thank you

I bought one to use for a cross country move then storage for a year or so. I would say they are one of the better “budget” manufacturers with decent build quality.

I had no major issues, but had realistic expectations when going with a budget builder. Added a few options to get it as I wanted, and everything functioned well. 18 months later when I sold it, it still worked and looked new, and got 90% of my cash back.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by crpngdth2001 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
crpngdth2001
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Carolina_coast99 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:52 am

crpngdth2001 wrote:
Carolina_coast99 wrote:I would greatly appreciate any opinions on Diamond Cargo Trailers out of Douglas GA.
Thank you

I bough one to use for a cross country move then storage for a year or so. I would say they are one of the better “budget” manufacturers with decent build quality.

I had no major issues, but had realistic expectations when going with a budget builder. Added a few options to get it as I wanted, and everything functioned well. 18 months later when I sold it, it still worked and looked new, and got 90% of my cash back.

Jim

Thanks for the detailed information.

I have been pricing multiple trailers for some time and I really like the ATC brand,,,, but soo expensive.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a trailer that is high enough quality for me to install many thousands of dol,ars of finish work on the Interior...?
Carolina_coast99
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Carolina_coast99 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:01 am

Carolina_coast99 wrote:
crpngdth2001 wrote:
Thank you

I bough one to use for a cross country move then storage for a year or so. I would say they are one of the better “budget” manufacturers with decent build quality.

Jim

Can you suggest any upgrades to a diamond cargo trailer that would make it a better choice to invest the time and money into?
Frame size, wall skin thickness, axles etc...?

Thanks for the detailed information.

I have been pricing multiple trailers for some time and I really like the ATC brand,,,, but soo expensive.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a trailer that is high enough quality for me to install many thousands of dol,ars of finish work on the Interior...?
Carolina_coast99
Teardrop Advisor

Postby crpngdth2001 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:19 am

As I recall, the first thing I did was upgrade to the .030? skin. It was the next step up from basic. I added height (raised to 7'), added a 5 or 6 ft extended tongue, changed wall, roof, floor member spacing to 16", one piece roof, and the upgraded weight axle with brakes.

There may have been more changes I made, but they were all cosmetic.
crpngdth2001
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Carolina_coast99 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:27 am

crpngdth2001 wrote:As I recall, the first thing I did was upgrade to the .030? skin. It was the next step up from basic. I added height (raised to 7'), added a 5 or 6 ft extended tongue, changed wall, roof, floor member spacing to 16", one piece roof, and the upgraded weight axle with brakes.

There may have been more changes I made, but they were all cosmetic.

Thanks. All you listed are exactly what I would do also.

I'm worried my expectations are not realistic- with as you say a budget trailer...... I want it to pull perfectly. Not leak. And last 20 plus years......that's all. Haha.
I just can't see paying more than double for an atc....
Carolina_coast99
Teardrop Advisor

Postby crpngdth2001 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:03 pm

I can say it did pull perfectly - even with the probably over capacity load I pulled across country, then to two different living locations in Ohio before settling in Maryland.

If you are pulling it apart to build a toy hauler or cargo camper conversion to insulate, etc - I think you would be fine. Many say the studs were not painted and they primed/painted them, sealed some gaps after testing for leaks with the interior out, and maybe cleaned up the wiring a bit. If you are willing to do the same, I think it will be fine from a longevity perspective.

I did also get the 32" or 36" RV style door with screen and no outside cam-lock bar for the side door too.

I would also say if you are thinking about any cosmetics like diamond plate, blackout packages, etc - I would skip them. The diamond plate is paper thin compared to the siding, and will warp quickly where tightened too much. The blackout is cheap paint that wears quickly as well.

I also forgot to mention, I immediately pulled the cheapo Chinese tires and replaced since I knew I would be hauling heavy loads cross country. I simply did not want to risk it on very generic tires. I went to good continental trailer tires, IIRC.
crpngdth2001
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Carolina_coast99 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:19 pm

crpngdth2001 wrote:I can say it did pull perfectly - even with the probably over capacity load I pulled across country, then to two different living locations in Ohio before settling in Maryland.

If you are pulling it apart to build a toy hauler or cargo camper conversion to insulate, etc - I think you would be fine. Many say the studs were not painted and they primed/painted them, sealed some gaps after testing for leaks with the interior out, and maybe cleaned up the wiring a bit. If you are willing to do the same, I think it will be fine from a longevity perspective.

I did also get the 32" or 36" RV style door with screen and no outside cam-lock bar for the side door too.

I would also say if you are thinking about any cosmetics like diamond plate, blackout packages, etc - I would skip them. The diamond plate is paper thin compared to the siding, and will warp quickly where tightened too much. The blackout is cheap paint that wears quickly as well.

I also forgot to mention, I immediately pulled the cheapo Chinese tires and replaced since I knew I would be hauling heavy loads cross country. I simply did not want to risk it on very generic tires. I went to good continental trailer tires, IIRC.

Great info again.
Good to know about the diamond tread plate. I did plan to add 24" all the way around.... I may reconsider this.
Is the exterior 24" diamond tread plate somethig that can be added after I get it home? I have not see anyone on here mention doing this....

I do also plan to strip the interior to paint for rust prevention, insulate , etc.
And yes- the tires will go! I'm thinking LT tires though. I've been reading on this topic a bit.
Maybe:
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... 2FH-901-LT
Or
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... ravis-r238
Carolina_coast99
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:14 pm

As a few have said, if you are building it out, there are some must have upgrades. Also, you will have it apart to address the typical hidden quality issue. I painted all the studs as it was poor at best. Soldered up wiring, found a few leaks and fixed them permanently. Do that and you will be fine. Axles all come from same place so pick the axle you needed and leave good margin. The frames are pretty much built the same way so pay a little more for extended and reinforced tongue, tighter spacing on floor joists and after that... the bones are good for 20+ years. I know mine will last longer than me at this point. I bought a Lark and happy with overall after I did the once over and touch up that should not need to be done and I had alot of extras added as well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Carolina_coast99 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:35 am

flboy wrote:As a few have said, if you are building it out, there are some must have upgrades. Also, you will have it apart to address the typical hidden quality issue. I painted all the studs as it was poor at best. Soldered up wiring, found a few leaks and fixed them permanently. Do that and you will be fine. Axles all come from same place so pick the axle you needed and leave good margin. The frames are pretty much built the same way so pay a little more for extended and reinforced tongue, tighter spacing on floor joists and after that... the bones are good for 20+ years. I know mine will last longer than me at this point. I bought a Lark and happy with overall after I did the once over and touch up that should not need to be done and I had alot of extras added as well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Excellent info- thank you.
I have really enjoyed and learned a lot reading you build also, thanks!
Carolina_coast99
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NO David! » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:22 pm

Can't answer for Diamond but of course I have an answer in general.

I think it has more to do with the dealer who handles your custom order, than the brand. Most brands we used to know are now just a brand owned by an investment group. Mine is a Cargo Craft, while there were a few minor issues, I would order from them again. Pretty sure they are still privately owned. They really stepped up to correct the issues, very satisfied. In hindsight, I guess I was a bit picky, but it was a lot of money to me. It has proven to be an excellent value, and has towed great behind two different tow rigs. I developed a leak last year, but in the fiberglass nose cap near the center marker lights. Not the fault of Cargo Craft. Simple fix. The rest of the trailer has remained water tight since 2012. I recall one of their marketing points was a water wash test rig for every trailer.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345

Another brand made in Tennessee that I would consider is Homesteader, again via a dealer with experience in custom orders.
https://homesteadertrailer.com/

Lately, I ran into this manufacturer, they actually posted to my Twitter page regarding my trailer. I have kept up with them, and really like their approach to building, and custom orders. It's a long way off, but the exchange rate is pretty good right now, might reach out to them, and see what they can do. Aluminum or steel, custom orders, seem like a really good crew there.
https://www.canadiantrailercompany.net/
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby Carolina_coast99 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:11 pm

NO David! wrote:Can't answer for Diamond but of course I have an answer in general.

I think it has more to do with the dealer who handles your custom order, than the brand. Most brands we used to know are now just a brand owned by an investment group. Mine is a Cargo Craft, while there were a few minor issues, I would order from them again. Pretty sure they are still privately owned. They really stepped up to correct the issues, very satisfied. In hindsight, I guess I was a bit picky, but it was a lot of money to me. It has proven to be an excellent value, and has towed great behind two different tow rigs. I developed a leak last year, but in the fiberglass nose cap near the center marker lights. Not the fault of Cargo Craft. Simple fix. The rest of the trailer has remained water tight since 2012. I recall one of their marketing points was a water wash test rig for every trailer.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345

Another brand made in Tennessee that I would consider is Homesteader, again via a dealer with experience in custom orders.
https://homesteadertrailer.com/

Lately, I ran into this manufacturer, they actually posted to my Twitter page regarding my trailer. I have kept up with them, and really like their approach to building, and custom orders. It's a long way off, but the exchange rate is pretty good right now, might reach out to them, and see what they can do. Aluminum or steel, custom orders, seem like a really good crew there.
https://www.canadiantrailercompany.net/

Thank you for your information
Carolina_coast99
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Carolina_coast99 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks to all who provided input.
I have made a decision on a trailer manufacturer (Double R - out of Idaho).
I will be creating a build thread in the future.
Carolina_coast99
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Augie Dog » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Carolina Coast 99 are you in North or South Carolina? If your in North I am also and would like to take a look at your rig after you get it and start your build.
Thanks
Augie
Augie Dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby CL3 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:49 am

I just picked up my customized Diamond Cargo Mfg (the factory) sold and spec'd by Factory Direct) one of their web reps.
Carl is the salesman/web guy
Roger is the at Factory guy.
Both are very good to deal with.
This is my second Diamong Cargo Mfg built trailer.
Both are VERY interested in making sure you are happy.
I picked up my new trailer Friday, 7/31/2020 and started disassembling it yesterday. When you are going to pump $$$ into anything, you agile tear it down first.
Would I buy another Diamong Cargo? Yes, and I'd use Carl & Roger
I'll have more in my build out as soon as i relearn how to post photos to this site
Happy to answer specifics, just PM me with phone and good times.
CL3
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions