7x17 Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby chiefvintage » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:15 am

So my journey begins! Thanks to Mike for adding me to group. Build is a dual purpose toy hauler for my 2016 Indian bike and RV for camping.

My project begins with a Legend Deluxe 7x17 V-nose. Came with finished interior and extra interior ceiling height. Interior dimensions are 79”Wx201”Lx84”H.

My floorplan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by chiefvintage on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby chiefvintage » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:20 am

A few pics

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Re: 7x17 Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler

Postby chiefvintage » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:23 am

First mod, RV door window with shade

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:29 am

Wow.. Nice looking rig. Good luck with the build!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby kirkupnorth » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:34 am

Nice looking trailer! I especially like the radius corners on your camper door.

Really looking forward to watching your build -- looks like you've got solid plans in place.

Post lots of pics, and enjoy the project!!
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby chiefvintage » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:41 pm

Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately the finished interior is non-insulated, so I’m really torn with idea of tearing it all out to insulate. My thoughts are who wants a finished interior without insulation!

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:32 pm

chiefvintage wrote:Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately the finished interior is non-insulated, so I’m really torn with idea of tearing it all out to insulate. My thoughts are who wants a finished interior without insulation!

I'd take the pains and insulate now. You will be sooooo glad you did later. Will be hard to control the environment without it and it will be too late when you start to regret it. .

I like your floor plan. Very similar to the layout I built into my 7*18ft with 2ft V-nose and 7.5ft interior height. Are you putting your bed on tracks so it can stow out of the way of the bikes? I made my layout so I could use all the trailer's amenities without having to remove the bikes(s) if I am on the road. It really works well.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby chiefvintage » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:04 pm

flboy wrote:
chiefvintage wrote:Thanks for the comments.

I'd take the pains and insulate now. You will be sooooo glad you did later. Will be hard to control the environment without it and it will be too late when you start to regret it. .

I like your floor plan. Very similar to the layout I built into my 7*18ft with 2ft V-nose and 7.5ft interior height. Are you putting your bed on tracks so it can stow out of the way of the bikes? I made my layout so I could use all the trailer's amenities without having to remove the bikes(s) if I am on the road. It really works well.

Yes , 5 ft horizontal E track on each side to hang bed joists, plywood deck and hybrid mattress, will be working to accommodate one full size motorcycle.

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FXDWG » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:20 am

i have almost the same trailer. i just have the blackout kit on mine. trust me, take the time now and do the insulation. not that large of a job to be honest. i plan to post pics and a build log, however, the first trip is this coming weekend and i havent had time to post the log. but i do have all the pics.

let me know how you wind up doing your black and grey tanks. i had to bail on my tank ideas for now. may revisit at a later date.

these really are nice trailers, they tow amazingly well, are very lightweight and in my opinion are extremely appealing visually. best of luck on your build. i have been at mine for about 4 weeks now.

FXDWG
Teardrop Inspector

Postby chiefvintage » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:42 am

Yea your right might as well have at it before I get too far along lol!
Although I will say my previous camper was a Livin Lite Quicksilver pop up tent camper and it had a typical RV LP furnace and it was plenty warm enough even in 25-30 degree weather here in NC, and I have no plans camping further north in winter months. It also had an AC window unit which cooled it down but didn’t dehumidify well at night with 2 or 3 adults. Most newer portable AC can dehumidify also. I may just compromise and insulate the ceiling. I’ll do some analysis over the fall/winter months, no hurry on my part.

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Nice Trailer! Both of you guys. That is a big enough size to do a lot and your floor plan looks real good to me. IMHO, go ahead and insulate now. Do some research and learn the do's and don'ts, make a plan and knock it out. A few hours here, a few hours there and you are done. It will also give you the opportunity to inspect the wiring and overall construction and check for leaks and remedy any faults you may find now. Plus it will help both heating and cooling the rig and getting rid of the moisture issues. You may want to take this time to install any electrical that you want to add such as wiring for lights, switches, speakers, fans etc. before you button it back up.
Let's see some pics of that Indian. I have a '99 Chief and a Street Glide that I haul when I go to rallies. Nice to have your own accommodations when you are at those kind of things.

Good Luck with your project!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby chiefvintage » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:38 pm

Well you guys got me motivated enough to tear into it some; guess I’ll carry on with insulation after all, lol!

Here’s my ‘16 Vintage. . .

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jwhite » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:31 pm

I do leather work I make shot gun cases how much was all the leather work just wondering ?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby chiefvintage » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:28 am

jwhite wrote:I do leather work I make shot gun cases how much was all the leather work just wondering ?

Came with bike, all factory leather except my backrest and crotch cooler

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:55 am

Wow!
Is there anything sexier than fringe? I think NOT! You can be a 1 Bike Parade everywhere you go. The tan leather really does stand out. My leather is black and 20yrs old now, but in it's day it drew a crowd. Here is a few shots of the Chief and the Harley. Not the best pics but I'll wash them up and send some better ones someday.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions