Best size for cross country trip

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Best size for cross country trip

Postby cstamm81 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:33 pm

I’m very glad to found this forum, so much great info from experienced folks. Quick background, I’m looking to build a cargo trailer into a camper for myself, my wife, and our two young ones. I want to future proof it, these kids grow fast! I have kicked around every idea under the sun for a suitable setup for a month long excursion we hope to take next Summer, traveling west from PA all the way to the WA coast: van with sleeping platform and a roof top tent, normal travel trailer, large Springbar tent. We own a crew cab newer Ram 3/4 ton, already have the roof top tent and the Springbar.
I keep coming back to a converted cargo as being the best option for ease of travel and safe, comfortable camping. The million dollar question, what’s the best size for a family of four looking for ease of travel, enough space to be comfortable on a rainy day, that can be dragged on sometimes rough dirt roads out west to get to the good camping spots! It seems the vast majority are using 7’ wide models, what’s the reason for not using the full width 8.5’ models?
I want to put bunk bed style queen sized beds, the bottom bed will double as the dinette, the top bed will raise to the ceiling when not in use. Fully insulated, some well thought out storage, heat and ac and not much else. I want to keep this as simple as I can, I’m not into all the junk they put in commercial campers. Let’s hear opinions on sizing first, I’ll get into my plans to have this built on another thread. Thanks in advance.
cstamm81
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Best size for cross country trip

Postby Margali » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:01 am

Hi! If you poll the family builds, it seems a 7'x14' or 7'x16' seems right if you have 2 or 3 kids. I got a 7'x 16'x 7'h with vnose. For us, we went with the 7' wide because it did not extend past Ram 1500 much and we could use our stock mirrors. Our relatives also have narrow gates and twisty drive ways. The 7' height is based on wanting triple bunks, like http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61833 .

I tested drew my layout with chalk on driveway before we went and purchased the trailer. I didn't get enough of extra usability for going to 8.5' to justify the dealing with tight gates and the other issues.
Margali, DH, and 3 minions

2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar, 7'x 16'x 7'h v-nose
Margali
Teardrop Advisor

Postby swoody126 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:33 am

a 7' box trailer and an 8.5' box trailer track the same width and require the same width for gates/garage doors

both sizes are 102"(8.5') wide

same undercarriage

same tires

same hitch requirements of a 2 5/16" coupler n ball

both require the same TV>trailer electrical plug(7-flat pole)

the 7' trailer's box fits inside the fenders

the 8.5' trailer's box incloses the fenders(fender humps inside the box)

some manufacturers will build a single axle 7' wide trailer most wont

virtually all 102" wide box trailers will have tandem axles

a WWII military hospital bed/cot can be squoze/fit crossways in a 7' wide trailer butt wont clear the front/side door in a 14 footer(can the extra width in an 8footer at the end of beds be conveniently used w/ your design/plans/intentions ? )

both 7' & 102" width trailers like being towed by a 3/4 or one ton rated TV

some folks will argue(stating mfgr's specs) how they do tow w/ 1/2 ton rated TV's butt they are pushing their luck(what's your family worth?)

whatever you decide ... BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby cstamm81 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:39 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. Besides being able to see around a 7' wide bodied trailer, I couldn't understand why everyone wasn't using 8.5' wide trailers. As was mentioned, the track width is the same on both. The 7' wide models look smaller than the 8.5' wide models, it must be the protruding wheel wells that break up the long side of the trailer or something. I am currently leaning towards 8.5' by 16' by 7' tall. If anyone has other insight into 7' wide being a better choice, please speak up! Thanks again everyone.
cstamm81
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:19 pm

I went with the 7ft wide as it is less of a frontal wind load for towing so theoretically it should tow easier, but really, the main thing that went through my mind at first was all the brush and branches that may run down the sides in places I go. I know if my mirrors just barely bump the brush, the trailer sides will clear.

Visibility on the road is a big plus also. I have extendable mirrors on my F150 and coupled with the narrower profile, visibility is excellent. Certainly if the extra width is absolutely needed to accomodate your floorplan.. get it. Seems to me , while I was contemplating the overall design, the length was more useful to the floorplans that I envisioned than the extra width. That, coupled with the other pros mentioned, tilted me.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby cstamm81 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:59 pm

Thanks for the input flboy. I appreciate your thought process. I checked out your videos as well, heck of a nice build there!
cstamm81
Teardrop Inspector

Postby travist » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:20 pm

I did 7 foot wide from a towing perspective as well. 18' long. I built for a family of four and it is very comfy in terms of space. We were big on not having to make and remake beds so the dinette is extra on mine. Although the 18' was more about getting the queen in front of the side door I wouldn't look back. It doesn't feel cramped nor like I'm wasting space.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
travist
Teardrop Advisor

Postby travist » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:21 pm

Here is the link to my build https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... are_type=t

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
travist
Teardrop Advisor

Postby XR-duous » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:56 pm

Mine is 7.5 x 20. (7'8" interior...7'11" exterior). The walls cover the tires..no fenders. If someone is right behind me, I can't see them with stock mirrors. I wanted one a little wider for my cargo needs, but I found that the wheel wells really mess with your cargo hauling configuration. In my case I'm hauling dirt bikes and 4 wheelers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:50 am

cstamm81 wrote:Thanks for the input flboy. I appreciate your thought process. I checked out your videos as well, heck of a nice build there!
Many thanks. Good luck on your build.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby jwhite » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:19 pm

I have a 7x16x7 high and it's the perfect size for one person if I had to start over I would go with a 7x20 x7 incase I added another person or kids,
you didn't ask this question but if I were doing it again I would get a awning installed from the factory I reget I didn't get one, forget the ezup's more trouble that they a worth
having a lot of people in a trailer you will want rear stabilizer jacks and something I just installed and whish I would have done from the start is a electric tounge jack the best 120.00 you ever spend.
and a rv screen door is a must.
not knowing if your camping style is boon docking or staying in parks I can't add more suggestions
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby XR-duous » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:10 pm

Forgot to mention....I have a wide open floor plan and had 5 people camping in there (3 kids). It felt nice, but wouldnt have if I hadn't had the open floor plan. And by open I mean 16 ft of cargo space where the queen bed and hammocks go when the toys are pulled out. I dont have stabilizer Jack's yet, but didnt have any issues with the trailer tipping up or anything. It's pretty stable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby cstamm81 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:12 pm

I will use the camper in state parks, and also boon docking. My brother (who is a dealer for the brand of trailer I want to go with, Bravo) thinks I'm crazy not going 20 plus feet in length. AS I said, I do want to drag it on national forest and logging roads, to get far as close as I can to real wilderness. I'm not looking to take the thing rock crawling by any means, but I do want to build it with the oplaces I intend to take it in mind. Less length just seems like it will be a lot easier to deal with the way we travel, stay in a place for a day or two and move on to the next destination. We will be stopping in towns and cities as well, so navigating streets and parking is a concern as well.
He also is the one who has me leaning towards 8.5' wide. It's hard to deny that most of you commenting and the bulk of the builds are 7' wide. Besides the rear visibility, there do not appear to be any other advantages. I'm looking at it as use the full width of the interior to match the track width, but limit the length to keep it as compact as possible.

Good call on the add ons, I am planning on corner jacks, a real RV side door, and an electric tongue jack. I'm leaning towards the factory installed side awning, just curious if something like an ARB brand awning is more robust for use in windy weather, or if any awning needs to be put away when the wind picks up.

As far as creature comforts: I just want really comfortable beds, sufficient heat, AC, and ventilation, and storage space both while in tow and while camping. Like others here, I want to keep the build simple so there is less to break (and I'm not trying to replicate being in my house), and the trailer can still be used for hauling as needed.
cstamm81
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cstamm81 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:16 pm

[quote="XR-duous"]Forgot to mention....I have a wide open floor plan and had 5 people camping in there (3 kids). It felt nice, but wouldnt have if I hadn't had the open floor plan. And by open I mean 16 ft of cargo space where the queen bed and hammocks go when the toys are pulled out. I dont have stabilizer Jack's yet, but didnt have any issues with the trailer tipping up or anything. It's pretty stable.

Good point, I want to keep my floor plan as open as possible as well. With dual queen sized bunk beds in the back, I will still be able to fit a bunk bed style Disc-O-bed cot to accomadate 2 more people.
cstamm81
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jwhite » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:11 pm

Something else I would do if I was doing it again is to have a better steps like on a RV I use the metal step like they sell at Walmart the step stool is fine but with lots of people is gets moved around and the last thing you want it to take a fall in the middle of the night like I did not long lucky it wasn't worst.
they have quite a few new ones that were not available before https://www.amazon.com/Morryde-Step-Above-STP2-27-01H/dp/B0756ZYX3B/ref=sr_1_9?crid=37MJSX61Q4KEV&keywords=rv+steps&qid=1566960563&s=gateway&sprefix=rv+steps%2Caps%2C351&sr=8-9
jwhite
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions