Another 7x12 build,,,yadda,yadda,yadda :)

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Another 7x12 build,,,yadda,yadda,yadda :)

Postby waterfallrunner » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:27 am

Well it's been several years of lurking around and taking in all the sights but I "think" we're about to pull the trigger on a CT conversion. Like many other builds we'll be taking it slow. We're coming from tent life so this will be a huge upgrade in space. After several years of going back and forth with production models that just didn't seem to fit what we were trying to achieve a CT build just seems to feel right. The small toy haulers we looked at all seemed cheap and overpriced for what you get. We need to be able to carry all our toys in a semi-secure environment that we'll be using as a base camp. Mass production doesn't believe we can do without a bath, kitchen and entertainment center but we really can :lol:
No plan just yet since we're still deciding on certain details. The latest iteration is a flat front with double rear doors. My plan is to order a large window and go ahead with the awning from the factory. I'd like to have an upgraded single axle with brakes and larger tires (maybe 205's). At this size I don't see the cost benefit of aluminum for the weight. I figure the insulation will come after I get her home and sealed up.
Lots more to come :twisted:
Questions:
1 Is undercoating something to worry about on these modern trailers? If so what is a good product. We're in the Southeast so snow isn't something we'll be in very often but you never know. I was considering doing undercoating first (if necessary) since that will be the cleanest the bottom will probably ever be.

2 Thoughts on double rear vs ramp door. I'm leaning towards the double doors with a removable box AC but I can see some advantages to having the ramp as a platform. I really like the idea of more space but the doors seem to allow for more storage and functionality.
Mike
waterfallrunner
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Another 7x12 build,,,yadda,yadda,yadda :)

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:11 pm

I really like the ramp door on my 6x10. Allows me to easily load everything and my bike without having to pack around ramps. I already have more crap than I need packed in the trailer. I like being able to pull the ramp door down, roll out the bike, slide out the coolers and and any other large items. Eventually I'll put together screened tent to sit on the ramp for some additional bug free space.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions