Camco Rhino tote in lieu of black/gray tanks

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby chiefvintage » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Wondering if anyone has utilized the camco rhino portable totes as your black/grey tank instead of mounting permanent tanks to underside of trailer. I'm thinking just connect the toilet flange with 3" waste piping and bayonet adapter/portable hose directly to the rhino inlet, while it lays flat underneath the trailer. Obviously i would have to monitor the fill level to prevent overfill. It has built in vent/rinse connections. And the toilet itself acts as a trap with water in bowl. I could use a stretch of garden hose to act as "vent pipe" and run it up outside of trailer to steer odors away. Similar setup with a second tote tank for gray water. Seems for the cost of black/gray tanks and difficulty in plumbing/mounting ( my trailer sits very low to ground) this would be a viable option. I could even install sensors directly on the rhino tanks with a 12VDC supply.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K87FR5C?aa ... k%2B(39006)&sb-ci-a=B07K8NK525&th=1
chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Camco Rhino tote in lieu of black/gray tanks

Postby Grummy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:01 pm

My trailer is also low and prefer that for my needs. I too pondered over just how and where to fit the tank situation. I also considered your proposal, but in my case, I had no good place to put the tank(s) when en-route. Any space I have on the trailer itself, like behind the axles or tongue need other things located there, and I pull with a VAN and certainly did not want to store those inside even if they do seal well.

Then considering that I might be camped where I can not empty them right away, I'd have to load or store them half full or more. That just seemed like a royal pain and I never gave it another thought.

I see many people work hard to keep their tanks inside if they are going to traverse colder climates, so that too has to be considered. If your too low to get the full capacity you hope to have, nothing stops us from locating a tank that is partway inside and only the amount sticking below the frame that still allows the clearance you need. Just have to pick a tank that fits between the rails and build the proper hanger system.

In my case, I am pretty "Small" with only a 6x12. I opted for a self contained 5 gallon porta-potti for the heavy stuff. I can opt to dump early (light) or full when necessary depending on environment, and ALWAYS look for my use options before filling it.

I located a shallow 15 gallon GREY tank fully under and between the frame cross members, right behind the axle for sink drainage, while a 10-12 gallon fresh tank still needs to be installed just ahead of the axle. This leaves room for 3+ gallons of incidentals poured in the sink (leftover soda, coffee, etc.).

That 10-12 gallon will be used primarily for washing things as I find it really simple and safe to just buy the 4 or 5 gallon fresh water exchange tanks rather than bother to keep the fresh tank 100% drinking safe constantly.

Personally, I think money is best spent on mounted tanks up front. FInd a way to fit them, find a way to figure out what you really need for capacities. Driving around with a thousand pounds of liquid unnecessarily doesn't make sense either. It hurts once, but then you do not always have that additional set of full tanks to hassle with by hand.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:11 pm

I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work for you. I have only one tank for both black and grey water. It holds 29 gals. and my fresh water tank holds only 25 gals. so that should help prevent overages. The thing about black tanks is that the more water they contain the better they break down and evacuate the solids. I also installed a diverter valve for the shower drain so it can be drained to the ground when appropriate, thus extending the time before tank would need to be emptied by a considerable amount. My trailer floor sits at about 18" above the ground and I think the tank was about 9" at the deep end. The frame is 4" so the discharge valve (4" ABS) just clears the frame and has about 10" of clearance to the ground. I will say that the maintenance operations are mostly pain free. I have never had to be exposed to the contents and can rinse the tank and hose spotless clean at the dump station. Then just add a couple gallons of water to the tank and the treatment pac, and that's it. Good to go for the next time. No worries about where to store or lugging the tank when full to a facility, and don't forget the stinky slinky. You would also have to take that and clean it. If the RV dump is where you camped no biggie, but if not you would have to handle the stuff more than I would prefer to.
Just my thoughts...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:54 pm

It would work.. just the setup and tear down that is required which may prevent toilet usage while traveling (huge bonus for wife who hates rest stop bathrooms for good reason) and obvioulsy would not be able to use the amenities if urban boondocking in a WalMart parking lot for instance. It all depends on how you plan to use the trailer.

Bottom line, it will work but limits ability to use.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:24 pm

Composter for pooing, that for pee & grey, and in case BLM / a ranger says composting doesn't qualify for off the grid.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby chiefvintage » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:11 am

Thanks for feedback guys, all good points to consider, still leaning towards frame mounted tanks but the totes are definitely one option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:29 am

chiefvintage wrote:Thanks for feedback guys, all good points to consider, still leaning towards frame mounted tanks but the totes are definitely one option

You are welcome. I found 15" wide by 6' long tanks that went in between the 16" on center floor joists (~25-30 gal each for BW and GW) . They are relatively easy to install while you have the walls out for insulation as the plywood floor comes right up. Can be done without taking out floor also.... but it was no problem for me at the time to do it.

You can see how I put them in at 1 min. 12 sec point in video link below (Build Process)

Good luck.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby chiefvintage » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:00 pm

This was my original plan. My floor joist are 24" OC aluminum 2x3. With the layout Im building, 36" length is maximum and still fit inside the main 4" center floor beam up front.

Only 21 gal but it would fit well. i would hang it on 2x3 aluminum 90*angle bars. A buddy can weld them in for me.

https://www.tank-mart.com/rv-marine-tan ... rails.html
chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby enszc » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:38 pm

I also thought about using one of those for a BT. The only issue that kept me away from using the portable tank is where do you keep it while traveling? When I had a camper, the portable tank sat on the bumper carrier during transit. I don't want that smelly thing inside the CTC during transport. I could never get the tank completely empty. There's always something still in there. Now I'm also not staying in campgrounds. So no where to dump easily. My solution was to use a cassette toilet. Just dump in a portipotty when I need to.
enszc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby chiefvintage » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:05 pm

Yea most RVers strap it to ladder or bumper rack to haul it, we could do something similar on back ramp door or rear frame

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:10 pm

Here is the specs on the tank I used. http://www.ameri-kart.com/getattachment ... /H086.aspx

General installation instructions. http://www.ameri-kart.com/Documents/rot ... _tank.aspx

Holding tank catalogue. They can custom make tanks as well. http://www.ameri-kart.com/RV-Products/P ... Tanks.aspx

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions