truck engine maintenance question

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

truck engine maintenance question

Postby jwhite » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:35 pm

I know this is off topic but for those that know more about the subject than myself I have a question.
I have a 2010 2500 HD and I have about 150.000 miles on the truck I only use the truck to pull my trailer
and I have had to have a coil pack replaced twice I think that is what it's called I have the problem again and wondered if this is something that I should just replace them all at one time rather than as I need them replaced ?
if I am not pulling the trailer I wouldn't bother I only really notice it running rough stopped at a red light.
But if I am pulling the trailer it's really noticeable and the last thing I want is for it to be giving me trouble when I am on a trip ?
I wonder if this is just a sign it's going to be a ongoing problem and time to do get rid of it, or replace all the coil packs at one time?

I have been thinking of either getting a used motorhome or converting a van so now may be the time for something new ?

any thought ?
Thanks
Last edited by jwhite on Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Re: truck engine maintenance question

Postby Modstock » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Easy fix.
Just like brakes, plugs , ect. Replace all of them.
Be careful pulling the small bolts and not to over-tighten reinstalling them.
They can break easily. A small 1/4" ratchet will do.
Should be plenty of YouTube vids on this.
150k is just barely broken in. No reason to trade in. With used vehicles ya never know what your going to get. At least you know the history on this truck.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jwhite » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:57 pm

thanks for the reply that's what I was hoping for I will have a mechanic do the work and it's a lot cheaper than buying someing else.
and really other than that I haven't had any problems, I just wondered if this would be a normal replacement for a truck with more than 100.000 miles anyway.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Squigie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Depending upon price, I might do all at once or just as they fail - while having one on hand, just in case there's a failure 'in the boonies'.
Coils fail. It happens.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:02 am

* Is it the same cylinder misfiring? Might not be the coil, but a bad plug or intake gasket near that cylinder. Get a code reader and check it out, or get your mechanic to do so. And, did you change your plugs according to the maintenance schedule? If not, a seldom-used vehicle will be especially more prone to ignition issues.

* My '04 2500HD 6.0L is also a seldom-used tow-vehicle, only driven <1000 miles a year, and often sits for months between starts. But, when I do start it up, I make sure that I run it for a long enough time, and hard enough, to burn off possible fuel, oil, and carbon fouling. Only changed the plugs once, at 100k miles, but plan to do it again soon(er), at only 140k miles (prior to my next trip), because it isn't a daily driver anymore. I've had no ignition problems yet, but only one O2 sensor, so far.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tyrtill » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:16 am

Yeah make sure you check your plugs too. I've been having coils failing left and right on my Honda. I thought it was the cheap Intermotor coils I was putting in didn't even think of the plugs being that they were iridium and replaced 30000 miles ago. I pulled them out and sure enough they were practically gone.

Turns out you shouldn't be spark plugs from Ebay because there is such a thing as a counterfeit spark plug.
Tyrtill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Modstock » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:53 pm

I found out on my vehicle that it likes the "old school" champion type plugs.
I stopped buying the platinum, iridiums, etc. Just not enough area for the spark to get to and would produce a misfire.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions