JUST ORDERED A NEW 6X12 VNOSE, TINTENT 2.0

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: JUST ORDERED A NEW 6X12 VNOSE, TINTENT 2.0

Postby onehoser » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:48 am

McDave wrote:Is that the lake right there in front of the jeep? Lake Erie? Nice! I was born not far from there, my grandparents farmed near Geneseo, NY.

McDave

yep, that's lake erie, i can see the lights of erie pa at night.
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby fishboat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:43 am

Nice looking trailer. Probably something you don't want to hear..but, for the sake of safety of you and your passengers(and others on the road), I think you're going to need a larger tow vehicle.

I'd determine the current curb weight and tongue weight of the trailer and then make a good estimate of the expected weight when you're done with your upgrades(there was a recent thread discussing how to estimate this). Weight adds up fast**. After a quick search, it appears your payload capacity is about 700-800 lbs(??, hard number to find..it seems) and your max tongue weight is 200 lbs. Payload capacity includes, you, passengers, gear, tongue weight, fuel..

I did run across the following thread..looks to be a worthwhile read(and calculation):

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk ... ve-310116/

[**as a reference data point: my empty 6x12x7 single axle trailer tongue weight(includes spare tire mounted on the front of the trailer) is 210 lbs. After adding about 325 lbs of upgrades(cabinets, 12V fridge, gear..) in the nose-V my (loaded for a trip) tongue weight is now about 330 lbs (about 12-13% of loaded trailer weight).]
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby onehoser » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:29 am

fishboat wrote:Nice looking trailer. Probably something you don't want to hear..but, for the sake of safety of you and your passengers(and others on the road), I think you're going to need a larger tow vehicle.

I'd determine the current curb weight and tongue weight of the trailer and then make a good estimate of the expected weight when you're done with your upgrades(there was a recent thread discussing how to estimate this). Weight adds up fast**. After a quick search, it appears your payload capacity is about 700-800 lbs(??, hard number to find..it seems) and your max tongue weight is 200 lbs. Payload capacity includes, you, passengers, gear, tongue weight, fuel..

I did run across the following thread..looks to be a worthwhile read(and calculation):

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk ... ve-310116/

[**as a reference data point: my empty 6x12x7 single axle trailer tongue weight(includes spare tire mounted on the front of the trailer) is 210 lbs. After adding about 325 lbs of upgrades(cabinets, 12V fridge, gear..) in the nose-V my (loaded for a trip) tongue weight is now about 330 lbs (about 12-13% of loaded trailer weight).]

my heep is rated for 2,000 lbs with 200 lb tongue capacity, the trailer's curb weight is 980 lbs with 98 lb tongue weight. i am well aware of the fact that i need to keep the weight as light as possible (mostly because of the major inclines when going north), in fact i will be replacing the 3/8" plywood inside with 5 mm luaun which should drop the weight by about 120 lbs. also we take 2 jeeps with us with a small utility trailer for collecting firewood and so the girlfriend can go off with the kayak fishing etc. cabinets will be built with light cedar framing, sheathed with 5mm luaun. as far as safety goes, i will be well within legal, safe limits :)

PS the trailer has electric brakes too.....
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby onehoser » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:37 pm

picked up the windows this morning, can’t believe they were only $85 canadian each! my buddy works for a forestry equipment manufacturer that uses these types of windows in their cabs and ordered them for me. i guess i’ll have to start a build thread soon

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby onehoser » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:13 am

new flooring and insulation arrived! will save 100lbs replacing the 3/4” osb with 1/2” plywood!

onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby onehoser » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:15 am

onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Modstock » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:55 am

This is probably the best way to shave weight from a trailer right off the bat.
A 4x8 sheet of 3/8 is 40-60lbs and the same sheet in Luann is 20 + - lbs.
I'll be watching this build.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions