Aluminum brands

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Aluminum brands

Postby Hobbzz » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:59 pm

Newbie here. Looking to do my first conversion, 6x12x6 (LWH). Since my wife and I camp exclusively fall, winter, and spring we want to go with an aluminum frame due to all the salt on the roads (WI, MN, MI). So far I've ruled out Neo as they are not willing to do a custom height. PROline (of NH) is probably out. They can't do a short trailer with barn doors as we'd prefer, and a shorter trailer with a ramp would be 500 extra, plus the 700-800 extra to go and get it. Shame because they come standard with galvanized axles.

Stealth is the current one I'm looking at, and the price is ok from an WI dealer. Going to check with dealers out of state next. I'm also going to check out Aluma, Triton, Featherlite, and EZ-Hauler. Any insight on these or does anyone know of any other manufacturers of aluminum cargo trailers? Thanks for looking.
Hobbzz
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Aluminum brands

Postby hankaye » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Hobbzz, Howdy;

First, WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Next, ... why the interest in Aluminum over Steel? Both corrode, if not taken care of.
Is it mostly for weight?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Hobbzz » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:43 am

Thanks Hank. Weight is negligible, I haven't actually been able see a weight savings due to differences between brands. But regarding oxidation, iron oxide is destructive, while aluminum oxide is protective. Our current camper is a 2017 and the frame is already starting to rust through the paint just from one winters use (3-4 camping trips). Salt is used heavily in the states we frequently camp in, and salt will be on the roads in winter and spring.
Hobbzz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:45 am

Hobbzz, Howdy;

That is what I thought you were aiming at. I worked aircraft corrosion control
for almost 25 years. Corrosion is corrosion ain't nothing "protective" about it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Corrosi ... e&ie=UTF-8
Various coatings are used to prevent corrosion, some better then others.
Paint, wax, galvanizing & anodizing are a few. The undercoating of frames
is the best way for either steel or aluminum to protect that area. Just remember
that with each stone chip in the protective coating there is a path for moisture
to enter and attack which ever metal you are protecting.

So, if you want lighter weight then Aluminum is your best bet. If it's Corrosion
that's got ya worried then each choice will, it up to you to do the preventative
maintenance to prevent it. Giving your trailer and tow vehicle a good and
through rinse after a trip will be one of the best things you can do for the pair.

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Hobbzz » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:09 am

Thanks Hank. I'm aware that preventative maintenance is required for both metals, and I never implied that washing off road salts is not an option. I'm an electro-mechanical engineer by trade, so like you, I'm familiar with metals, corrosion, preventative maintenance etc. And we could post links all day explaining the differences between corrosion in steel and aluminum, from universities and other scientific bodies. Like this article from MIT http://news.mit.edu/2018/self-healing-m ... osion-0404.

Under all conditions regarding trailers, corrosion in steel is more destructive than corrosion in aluminum, and harder to stop. When steel starts to corrode, the outer layer will rust and flake away, revealing fresh steel beneath. This will continue until the metal rusts through completely. When aluminum oxidizes, it forms a hard thin layer and it stops there. When a rock makes a chip in this layer, or salt eats through it, it again creates another layer that stays until removed. Basically the process starts and stops. With steel, the process always continues until the metal is gone, or drastic measures are taken to stop it and reapply a protective measure (like repainting the entire frame). I do plan on coating the frame with something.

Weight difference is only ~250lbs at this size trailer.
Last edited by Hobbzz on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbzz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:22 am

Hobbzz, Howdy;

Ok, fair enough, Generally, most folks aren't aware so I tend to
over do it some, not much, just some. We weren't allowed to let stuff
go, had to neutralize it a quickly as we found it. All aircraft are on a
schedule. F-14s were every 14 days (just a coincidence), and we had 14
with us for deployment. So, 1 complete aircraft per day everyday.
When I went to the Nimitz as Ship's Company I ended up having to write
an instruction for Emergency Reclamation. I found out a few years ago
it had been adopted by the Navy as a whole and is now expanded to a full
chapter in; file:///C:/Users/SWC%601806141/Downloads/NAVAIR_01-1A-509-2_CHG-1_31MAR2010.pdf
Starts on page 155. Been a lot of changes as it was migrating upward but
the skeleton is based on the Inter. level maint. for shipboard use.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby theicebear » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:33 pm

You could take a look at WeeRoll. They have an all aluminum 6x12x6.
theicebear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cg_ops » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:36 pm

Have you considered steel with a more-robust undercoating instead of just relying on aluminum's less corrosion prone nature? You could use a Tectyl, lanolin, or zinc coating or go full bore on a line-x undercoating. That way you don't deprive yourself of all the options a steel trailer affords (the sizing/dimensions/customization you mentioned). One of the things to consider with aluminum is fatigue

I have a friend from Wisconsin that has had a few cargo trailers (2 ALU and 4 Steel). He was pretty adamant that they both have their pros/cons but, for the price, you could make the steel align with the aluminum pros for less money. Weight isn't much of a factor, on average it's MAYBE a 15% reduction at best.

When I really dug in to my research, this was the first article that I found that nudged me towards steel . Most of my research affirmed my decision after that. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/enclosed ... ad-allison

All that said, if price wasn't a consideration and you can find the setup, in ALU, that you want, go ALU. I've yet to meet one person that regretted their Featherlight purchase (despite the sobs of their wallet in the background)
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby Grummy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:36 pm

You indicated a 6x12 build with a 6 foot height, but then mentioned that a company will not build a "custom height" for you.... what height are you hoping for ? In my case, I once thought I needed extra height, but it wasn't until I walked in an exact 6' high ambulance chassis that I realized that it works perfectly for me being 5' 11". After all, I am not pacing back and forth all day in a 6x12 space... You go in, sit down, lay down, whatever... I do my WALKING outside !

I have to say, I have been quite happy with the Amerilite ATTX 6x12x6 (viewtopic.php?f=42&t=70777) I bought from S&B trailer sales just north of Green Bay, Wisconsin. The price was already less than other trailers I had been looking at, so it did not take much thinking to make the decision. I recall the fellow telling me the price was so competitive because they ordered a number of matching units in one order, getting a better purchase price. I also feel that the quality is really decent.... I learned too, to be wary about some of the aluminum trailers that show a lower empty weight than others because then it obviously has either thinner, or just less structure to accomplish that low weight number. Mine was a little higher than others I looked at, but I understand now after I have gutted and seen what it consists of. Very well made.

I thought I would go the custom order route initially, but frankly, the cost would have been so much more that it was not worth enough to me over just working with the options it had right off the lot. For example, it did not have an RV Door... Didn't matter in the end, because I was able to easily put in an RV latch, and the door is a pretty darn good door in the end. And, a "magic screen" setup seems to work perfectly well, and lighter too. I see you indicated barn doors. That is always a personal goal reasoning... I wanted Ramp, and that is what I got, but if it came with barn at a reasonable price, I could have worked with that too. Always a way if there is a will.

After years of steel frame utility trailers and watching them rust away, I really enjoyed the light weight of my first Aluma utility trailer, so I went aluminum when it came to my first personal cargo trailer. I've taken time to coat the nooks and crannies of the bottom with Fluid-Film, with a double extra soaking where they bolt the steel suspension parts to the aluminum frame. THAT is where corrosion will be the trickiest to control.

Lastly, with all of your typical 6x12's claiming no more than a 2990 Gross weight, I realized that I would need to go aluminum if I hoped to include as much as I have in my trailer.... If one intends to do a conversion on ANY 6x12, you find out that it is a challenge to keep the gross weight within spec.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Hobbzz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:00 pm

That's cool hank. A former coworker of mine used to be an aircraft mechanic in the RAF. Lots of interesting stories. Thanks for the link, I'm having surgery this week so I'll have plenty of time to read up.
Hobbzz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Hobbzz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:00 pm

theicebear wrote:You could take a look at WeeRoll. They have an all aluminum 6x12x6.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look.
Hobbzz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Hobbzz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:11 pm

cg_ops wrote:Have you considered steel with a more-robust undercoating instead of just relying on aluminum's less corrosion prone nature? You could use a Tectyl, lanolin, or zinc coating or go full bore on a line-x undercoating.

I did consider that originally, something like powdercoating instead of a painted frame, but when looking at trailers, I never saw it as an option offered by anyone. I could look into just an undercoating though.
Hobbzz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Hobbzz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:28 pm

Grummy wrote:You indicated a 6x12 build with a 6 foot height, but then mentioned that a company will not build a "custom height" for you.... what height are you hoping for ? In my case, I once thought I needed extra height, but it wasn't until I walked in an exact 6' high ambulance chassis that I realized that it works perfectly for me being 5' 11". After all, I am not pacing back and forth all day in a 6x12 space... You go in, sit down, lay down, whatever... I do my WALKING outside.

I was looking for 6' external height, which is the height of my truck. Wind resistance is a big factor for me. Our current camper is 10' tall and we get 10mpg towing at 65. Our pop-up was only about 600 lighter, but 4.5 feet shorter and we got 17-18mpg towing at 70-75. I feel the same about walking around inside, less than 1% of the time in the trailer. Not a problem for me as I'm only 5'9". Otherwise I'm sitting or sleeping. Neo said they wouldn't go shorter than 8' in a 6x12 for profit reasons. PROline could, but it would be an extra charge (500) and I'd have to have a ramp. Due to changes my wife has made, we'll probably end up with a ramp anyway. Probably try to get them to mount it at the top so we could use it as an awning.

Also as it turns out, the wife is probably going to change her mind about walking in the trailer. She's only 5'4", so hopefully I can go with spring axle with drop instead of torsion and end up at only around 6'6" or so (we also want the option of parking in the garage).
Hobbzz
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions