Tow vehicle question

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Tow vehicle question

Postby Freight Mover » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Hello,
I drive a 5.7 Tundra. I know the max tow rating is 10k, but what is the ideal towing ratio? I’ve read to keep it about 65%.

I’m looking to get a cargo trailer and most of my towing will be flat land but I do make an annual trip to Colorado thru the mountains. I will be hauling 2 ATVs and gear. I have been looking at an 8x20 and a 7x20. Looks like the trailer weight could be up to 3200 lbs for the 8x20. Are these size trailers with this gear too much for a Tundra? I’ve estimated with the trailer rigged out and ATVs and other gear my gross weight would be pushing 7k

I’m looking to have long trips and keep it safe.

Thanks,
Shane
Freight Mover
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Tow vehicle question

Postby hankaye » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:59 am

Freight Mover, Howdy;

The owner's manual for the vehicle should have the info you seek.
The sticker on the Driver's door post should also have the info as well.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:37 am

Gross vehicle weight is one consideration. Another consideration - more important than GVW in my opinion - is what is the maximum frontal area for vehicle?

I have an 8' wide, 10-1/2 feet tall, travel trailer that I tow with an F150. The trailer weight is 3600#. At in-town speeds, the weight and frontal area don't create any issues. For my truck specs, I can tow up to a 7700# trailer, but the max frontal area of the trailer is supposed to be 75 square feet. At highway speeds, the 84 square feet frontal area of the travel trailer is "doable" but really affects gas mileage. It drops from 15-15 mpg to 6-8 mpg at 65 mph (on generally flat land.) For this reason, until I upgrade to a F250, 2500, etc., we keep our camping trips to no more than a 200 mile drive.

For your scenario, I'm guessing you will be in a similar situation where the trailer weight is not an issue. Going from a 7-foot wide to an 8-foot wide could cause quite a difference in gas mileage and tow-ability.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Squigie » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:24 am

Freight Mover wrote:Hello,
I drive a 5.7 Tundra. I know the max tow rating is 10k, but what is the ideal towing ratio? I’ve read to keep it about 65%.

'Ideal' is as little as possible.
The heavier the trailer gets, the less ideal it becomes.

Do keep in mind what the more specific ratings are for the vehicle, as well. That max of 10k lb likely requires a weight-distributing hitch, and certainly trailer brakes, if that's trailer weight, not GVWR.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby Pinstriper » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:29 pm

Squigie wrote:
Freight Mover wrote:Hello,

'Ideal' is as little as possible.
The heavier the trailer gets, the less ideal it becomes.

Do keep in mind what the more specific ratings are for the vehicle, as well. That max of 10k lb likely requires a weight-distributing hitch, and certainly trailer brakes, if that's trailer weight, not GVWR.

Don’t forget the hitch itself is probably rated for 5k. Getting above likely involves changing how it is connected to the frame, and possibly a different, heavier duty hitch itself.

Not to mention stinger/ball, but those are easily changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby Bikerman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:29 am

I'd say go as lite and small as you can. If you're hauling 4 wheelers, can one ride above the other like a car hauler, or even hump one up on the back of another to allow you to us a shorter and lighter trailer?
Bikerman
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions