6X12 Adventure Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

6X12 Adventure Build

Postby Austin-mtb » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:11 am

Hoping to document our build here and help out others if they can use any ideas from our build. Our main goal with this build is to save money on Air Bnb and hotels. We ride and race mountain bikes quite a bit around the east coast and live 2 hours from Pisgah forest so also do a lot of camping there too. Trying to build on a budget as well, me and my wife are pretty young at 26 and 23 so we dont mind doing the work and enjoy doing stuff like this together. Main parts of our build will be a bed that raises up so we can have a bit of seating under it if needed and will also sit at about 34" from the ground in the sleep position to allow bikes under us if needed and a guest could sleep on the bottom under us.

We will have a pretty simple electrical setup with an RV style battery charger / electrical panel i got from a parted out camper. Atleast a 100 AH battery and hopefully 200 watt solar eventually.
Anyways! here are some pictures we got the day we brought it home a 6x12 v nose diamond cargo with 6' 6" height and appears to be a set back side door which actually worked out great as the bed long ways comes just to the back side of it.
Trailer was $1600 and in great shape, hoping to keep build below $3500,

A picture after starting insulation which is pretty much finished now, got from construction surplus 1" thick at $9 a board.
Austin-mtb
Teardrop Inspector

6X12 Adventure Build

Postby PaulzOx » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:37 pm

Looks like a nice start. Do you have any layout plans or a general idea of the location of stuff
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

Re: 6X12 Adventure Build

Postby onehoser » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:59 pm

looks like my trailer except for the ramp, i went with the double barn doors. following your build...
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Austin-mtb » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:20 pm

Sorry for a lack of updates or much info in beginning so i have a really good idea of the layout and did a down and dirty layout on my lunch break the other day in solidworks (not the best program for quickly designing visual layouts haha) but its what i have at work.

So the plan is the bed will move up and down from about 36" from the ceiling to touching the ceiling. Wanting to keep it very basic for now with some rachet ropes and see how that works out, the bed will come down and rest on supports so the weight with people on it will be supported by the floor and walls.

- the empty space on the back passenger side of the trailer will be where we carry bicycles and when we dont have bikes will be where our german shepard and husky can hangout and you could even fit a guest on a memory foam mattress pad below as well.
- the bench will run length wise on the drivers side, in that I will have my batteries and electronics towards the rear and towards the front will be clothes and some sort of slide out cassette toilet.
- I will have some sort of folding table or something to use while sitting at bench but space can also be used for folding chairs if we find ourselves inside hanging out.
- front cabinet area will house water tank (15 gallon contigo drum) and all pump and misc plumbing running to the outdoor shower as well.
- the little L area of the front area will be extra counter space and below that I will have my 45 quart yeti that will be on some sort of slides and will pull out basically blocking the door. This will allow easy access from outside for loading groceries and hanging out outside and will still be usable inside but youll have to reach over the open lid but we wont be cooking inside much anyways.
-

- electrical system will be a 100 amp hour AGM battery for now that my dad bought for his trolling motor that did not end up fitting on his boat. Along with a RV style electrical panel I scoured off a wrecked camper.
- just basic DC stuff like a vent fan, usb ports, and lights and such, i do not plan to run any big appliances or really an inverter at all for that matter.
- heating may be a Diesel heater but kind of turned off by the high amp draw at start up but like the no moisture aspect.
- will most likely add 200 watts of solar on roof so when I up battery capacity to 200 ah if needed it will be sufficient.

sorry for the long winded post but wanted to explain what ive figured out that fits our needs and really makes use of the 6x12 space in my opinion.
Austin-mtb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Austin-mtb » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:25 pm

So most of the wall panels are up. We went with masonite board or hardboard depending where you buy it. It will be sanded primed and painted. Tested lighting electrical before we button up the ceiling

Also got in the first window and the outdoor shower. Hoping to install our vertical sliding window today

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Austin-mtb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Austin-mtb » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:12 pm

Got the floor in and all the walls and ceilings up and started framing the cabinets. This window was such a pain in the butt. I highly doubt the trim ring is suppose to need a larger opening than the window to fit in but mine did I think this was a quality issue, and It involved a lot of trimming and cussing but we finally got it.

Hoping to finish up cabinets and hey countertop on this weekend then I'm only left with final wiring, painting and bed platform and bench/battery compartment building. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Austin-mtb
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions