So this is happening, Mirage 8.5x16x7.5 V-nose build thread

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby brianjonesphoto » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:27 pm

I’ve not had any issues so far knocking on wood. I’m not running lead acid batteries so I can’t speak to that portion of it. Yes it’s rated at 33.4a at 15v. Since I’m running it at 14v I get a little more out of it. I’m getting a consistent 40.5A from mine without triggering the protections.

There are 100’s of different meanwell power supplies. Something doesn’t seem right.

Come to think of it I haven’t seen the power supply taper off much as voltage increases. Maybe it has to do with the fact the bms charge cut off is lower than the power supply out put
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Re: So this is happening, Mirage 8.5x16x7.5 V-nose build thr

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:45 pm

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Mine is a model SE-450-15, the specs for which are at https://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=463#1

Yours is at
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/260/ ... 109676.pdf

The specs for yours and mine are pretty close, but yours has a feature, which mine does not, called “Built-in active PFC function.” I do not know what that means.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby brianjonesphoto » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:53 pm

I bought the se at first cause I’m cheap. I didn’t have any issues with it. It didn’t like it because it was so inefficient. Using an eu2000i I have 13.3 amps to work with and 6 amps needed for motorcycle charging. The se pulled 8 amps even at a partial load.

The rsp only pulls 5.75amps and puts out 40amps. That is what the pfc circuit does.

Have you tried a different 30 amp test load?

I have a bad habit of not throwing stuff away I have a half dozen headlight bulbs floating around. They are about 5 amps each. 6 bulbs in parallel would be about a 30 amp load.

The problem might be the charge controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by brianjonesphoto on Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:00 pm

Thanks, you have been a great help. I will do more testing. I too bought the SE because I am cheap. LOL!

I too have an EU2000i and have not yet used it, but will do so now that you have alerted me to the issue.

Depending on what I find out, I may end up buying the RSP.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby brianjonesphoto » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:54 am

I found a leak today. I assume it’s from a window I installed in the fall. The floor is damp and has signs if water wicking from under the wall. Nothing else is wet. I assume the water is coming down between thr insulation and plywood. Hope to open the wall up this week to take a look. It’s going to be a royal pain to the wall open.

Any thoughts?

brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby onehoser » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:15 am

when i stripped out my new 6x12 to insulate i found that water was coming through the screws holding the top trim. i backed out each screw and applied silicone to them
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby brianjonesphoto » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:02 pm

Upon further inspection I think it’s a weep hole blockage. There is a plastic clip in the channel to help keep the window tight while closed but it blocks the weep hole. When I pulled the trim ring it looks like the insulation is damp on the inside edge which would be consistent with water backing up in the window trough. I’ll keep investigating.

brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby brianjonesphoto » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:50 am

Well crap. I pulled the susspect window yesterday since the weather was dry. No signs of water intrusion there. The saw dust was still on the foil face of the insualtion. I don't think the widow is the issue. I did find the tail lights had no sealant and they drilled a 7/8" hole for the wiring. I applied a bead of butyl tape and reattached them. Hopefully that seals that gap. I'm still looking for the cause. If today goes well I'll inspect the trip bolts as mentioned. There is also a running light in the wall in the area of the leak. looks like I'll need to at least silicone around that too although it does have a rubber gasket.

Of course taking a hose to the trailer created no visible water intrusion.
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:06 am

brianjonesphoto, Howdy;

Only a suggestion, why not wet the outside with soapy water and use some low pressure air,
if you have a compressor, and see if any bubbles show up. You only need a few pounds of
pressure. Like looking for a leak in an inner tube. Takes 2 people but ... Just thought I'd
throw that out there.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby brianjonesphoto » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:09 am

hankaye wrote:brianjonesphoto, Howdy;

Only a suggestion, why not wet the outside with soapy water and use some low pressure air,
if you have a compressor, and see if any bubbles show up. You only need a few pounds of
pressure. Like looking for a leak in an inner tube. Takes 2 people but ... Just thought I'd
throw that out there.

hank

That's a great idea. If it have to resort to opening the wall up to find the leak I will give it a try. I'm going to hit the simple and obvious things first as opening the wall means gutting the street side of the trailer. :cry:
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby foxontherun » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:23 am

Good morning,
Don't forget that water follows the path of least resistance.....means the leak might not be where you think. :NC

One of my leaks was showing up at the rear of the trailer but was actually coming in where the fender attached to the trailer; the rear of trailer a good four feet away. One of the screws from fender went thru the siding instead of the framing. Also, don't forget to check your roof seams. I found a bubble in my roof tape up in the nose, pushed on it and water squirted out even though the tape looked to be intact.

I had such a hard time finding my leaks; I removed the entire floor, wall panels, and insulation. Thankfully, that is as far as I had gotten when I started noticing the leaks. Once I had the flooring up, I sprinkled blue chalk dust along the edges of the floor frame next to walls so I could at least see where the leak might be starting and running from once it got to the floor. Worked pretty good. Example picture, see where it shows dark blue, that is the water leaking in.

Best of luck in finding yours, hopefully without having do a lot of gutting to find it.
Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby brianjonesphoto » Mon May 24, 2021 11:08 am

What I though was going to be quick and simple took most of my weekend.
I went into the project expecting an aluminum roof and locating the cross members with a magnet. It’s a galvanized roof so back to the drawing board.
Luckily I had created a wiring track that runs the length of the curb side and was able to access a small section of unfinished ceiling to locate one side. Then careful measurements and hoping the were build square.
I used 1/4-20 rivnuts into the cross members. 10’ super strut will be the base of my expandable solar rack. Starting with 2 100w panels can grow to 10 if my needs grow.
I was overly paranoid about potential leaks. Small bead of silicone between the rivnut and the roof. Covered my a 4x4 square of eternabond. Dicor to lap the edges of the eternabond. 1/8” thick 1/4x1.5 fender washer to space the strut off the roof for water flow. Dicor around that washer to create a high point then Dicor hole once the strut is in place. Tighten down the bolt.

brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Mon May 24, 2021 6:18 pm

What is the strut on the roof for? Sorry if I missed that somewhere along the way. I see two if them.. mounting solar panels?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby brianjonesphoto » Tue May 25, 2021 6:53 am

flboy wrote:What is the strut on the roof for? Sorry if I missed that somewhere along the way. I see two if them.. mounting solar panels?

Yes solar panels and what ever else needs to be put on the roof in the future. I'm starting with a pair of 100w but could expand up to 10 of the 23x42 100w panels. With 3 electric motorcycles and another on the way I'm working towards not needing the generator 3 hours a day. From completely dead to full charge on all bikes I need 7800WH of power a day. Likely don't need all of that but 5000WH seems reasonable.
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Tue May 25, 2021 7:21 am

Very nice. Any info on the electric motorcycles? I am very interested in getting something like that.

Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions