6x12 BUG-OUT BOX BUiLD

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

6x12 BUG-OUT BOX BUiLD

Postby onehoser » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:22 am

bug-out box, formerly known as tintent 2.0 :)
i ordered a new 6x12 vnose, slant roof trailer with an 18" tongue extension, rv latch on the man door, electric brakes and roof vent a few months ago. my plan is to keep it as light as possible with the basic necessities. first thing i did was strip out all of the osb except for the doors (for now) , spray paint the bare metal studs with tremclad, insulate and replace the osb with luan for the walls and cupboards and 1/2" plywood for the floors. i've calculated the osb weighs a total of 500lbs, i expect to reduce that weight by about 250lbs when done.
while i had the floor up i installed shock absorbers and stab jacks, much easier doing it from above. i've started insulating with 1" rigid foam with foil on both sides and will add another 1/2" styrofoam over that to cover the metal studs and 2" in the ceiling. I also have 2 18x24 tinted windows to install once i decide on the location.
i will post up pics shortly
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Re: 6x12 BUG-OUT BOX BUiLD

Postby onehoser » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:01 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby onehoser » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:02 am

onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:22 am

Nice work.

I have been thinking about installing the shocks on my CTC. What makes it worth it? I am not concerned about the ride in the trailer, but if it will improve handling and rocking in crosswinds and etc., it may be worth it to me. I have to put on 4 for the tandems so I'd like a real review instead of manufacturer's advertising.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby onehoser » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:04 am

flboy wrote:Nice work.

I have been thinking about installing the shocks on my CTC. What makes it worth it? I am not concerned about the ride in the trailer, but if it will improve handling and rocking in crosswinds and etc., it may be worth it to me. I have to put on 4 for the tandems so I'd like a real review instead of manufacturer's advertising.

i installed them for the same reasons, improved handling and because we tend to camp on crown land so we end up using logging and fire access roads which tend to be bumpy particularily in the spring, keeps everything in place for the last few miles of the trip. i haven't had a chance to tow it yet with the shocks installed but my experiences with my utility trailer which has shocks tows very nice, it's like it's floating, instead of bouncing over every bump :). when i do take it for a test drive i will post up a review. i got them on amazon for $44cdn each, a lot less in usd
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:05 am

onehoser wrote:

i installed them for the same reasons, improved handling and because we tend to camp on crown land so we end up using logging and fire access roads which tend to be bumpy particularily in the spring, keeps everything in place for the last few miles of the trip. i haven't had a chance to tow it yet with the shocks installed but my experiences with my utility trailer which has shocks tows very nice, it's like it's floating, instead of bouncing over every bump :). when i do take it for a test drive i will post up a review. i got them on amazon for $44cdn each, a lot less in usd

Thanks, I will be interested to know how it goes. Can you share the link for the shocks? I saw some on e-Trailer, but much more expensive... and did these come with the mounts?
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby onehoser » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:43 am

flboy wrote:
onehoser wrote:

Thanks, I will be interested to know how it goes. Can you share the link for the shocks? I saw some on e-Trailer, but much more expensive... and did these come with the mounts?

the shocks i used were monroe #555002, i went through their listings (there's a long, long list of dimensions) and chose that model for it's 5/8" eyes at both ends and for length and stroke. i drilled 1/2" holes into the frame for the upper mounts and welded 1/2" bolts to the bottom of the spring plates for bottom mounts. i used 1/2"x5" bolts for the uppers and 1/2"x6" for the lowers with 1/2"x5/8" bushing in the mounting eyes
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby onehoser » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 am

that’s where i located the lower mount bolts

onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Yeah. I like it. Thanks for the How To. On my list of To Do's.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:03 pm

If you look into jeep wrangler (YJ) leafspring plates, they have those welded just like that from the factory and they are beefy.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby onehoser » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Modstock wrote:If you look into jeep wrangler (YJ) leafspring plates, they have those welded just like that from the factory and they are beefy.

cool! will they work with the narrower 1-3/4" leaf springs? i remember seeing them on my old cj7
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby onehoser » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:08 am

Modstock wrote:If you look into jeep wrangler (YJ) leafspring plates, they have those welded just like that from the factory and they are beefy.

got the first layer of iso board up, next chore i think will be replacing the 3/4” osb floor with 1/2” plywood which is half of the weight, saves a hundred pounds of weight Image

onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Modstock » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:34 am

I believe the pre 76 cj7's are 1-3/4" width.

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby onehoser » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:53 am

i've also read that shock absorbers will reduce premature tire wear
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby onehoser » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:02 pm

pulled up the old osb floor today and started cutting the new floor but it’s too cold and damp out today to paint it before installing. weighed the old osb, came to 184 lbs

onehoser
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions