Yet Another 6 x 12 build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Yet Another 6 x 12 build

Postby Pursuitofsolitude » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:48 pm

Hey everyone, since I've been getting so much great info from the forum I thought I'd start a thread to share the build. The goal is an escape pod that's primarily mine, my significant other wants to build out a van for hers. However, needs to accommodate the occasional couples weekend trip to mountain biking and fishing destinations which means two to four bikes, two dogs, and two people. I wanted something I could tow with a new-to-me Tundra with little effort and stock mirrors. So, I ended with a 6x12 Haulmark Transport tandem axle with 7' interior height, 16" ribs and ceiling, ramp door, and RV door. Was a bit more than I wanted to pay but the tandem axle was worth it since brakes are included and it's one less step to add them.

So far I've pulled the interior and installed 1" eps (I know, I know - but XPS was more than I wanted to spend on my walls) and another 0.5" eps as a thermal break. Using XPS for the ceiling going with 2" total. Next steps are interior paneling (carpet?) and ceiling paneling (?). Heat source will be a Wave 3 heater I've been sitting on in my shop, but a small woodstove is really tempting. Two windows arrived today and another is on the way.

I'll post some pics when I get a minute - thanks and stay safe!
Pursuitofsolitude
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Yet Another 6 x 12 build

Postby pchast » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:33 pm

Welcome..... :D

I'll watch, interested in what you do.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:09 am

Sounds like a dandy trailer and a pretty good plan to get started with. I f I were to do it all over again, I would go for the tandem axles and 7' interior for sure. I am hoping to put brakes on my single axle 6 x 12 this year. We'll see. Well, have fun building that one out. We love pics of other people working.
Oh yeah, Welcome!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby onehoser » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:27 am

welcome! i'm in the midst of building a light weight 6x12. if you're looking to shave some weight off the trailer replacing the interior walls and floor with plywood and luaun. the osb in my trailer weighed around 500 lbs, plywood and lauan weighs about 250lbs. good luck and have fun
:)
Last edited by onehoser on Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Pursuitofsolitude » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:54 pm

Thanks for the comments... Good call on the luan; just picked some up for the ceiling. This will be a simple but functional build; camping season has arrived and the clock is ticking!
Pursuitofsolitude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tas » Sun May 17, 2020 8:05 pm

Hey Guys, How are you attaching your insulation board to the walls and ceiling? I’ve got some sheets of luan to use for the roof.
Tas
Teardrop Builder

Postby FXDWG » Sun May 17, 2020 11:41 pm

the insulation i bought had pre-scored cut/snap points, i cut them to the correct the length, and they fit snugly between the aluminum square tube. before i put the walls back up, i used the aluminum tape from top to bottom on each side of each pink piece. anywhere i had marker light wires, or anything behind the insulation, i cut a groove or channel for the wire to run it so the panel fit nice and flush to the outer skin.

FXDWG
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tas » Tue May 19, 2020 7:48 pm

is it really that easy? tape the joints together? thanks for the info.
Tas
Teardrop Builder

Postby Pursuitofsolitude » Tue May 26, 2020 8:48 pm

Looks nice! I looked at aluminum tape, and decided on high-grade duct tape since it's a basic build. I just went with EPS 1" walls, foil facing out, and then a 0.5" layer over the ribs as a thermal break with foil facing in. Roof I did the XPS at 2". One thing I found was a need to cut the interior cap on the Fantastic Fan, as well as add some 1x4s, to achieve the right depth.
Pursuitofsolitude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pursuitofsolitude » Tue May 26, 2020 8:54 pm

Update - trial run!

So, since I've been doing other stuff than posting (like working to support the CTC habit, and playing with power tools) I wanted to share the trial run. So, since the spring is here and weather is awesome and we wanted to get out, I wrapped it up for now.

Final results - insulated, reinstalled the Drymax interior. Insulated ceiling, walls, and 0.5" floor with a luan and vinly plank on top. Installed 200W solar and a 100 AH battery off Amazon, and my trusty ARB 50L fridge. Heat is a Mr. Buddy until I plumb the LP for a Wave 3, potty is a bucket with a curtain. I made the bed a short queen, installed lengthwise in the trailer at 42" high so mountain bikes fit underneath. The last 30" of the bed folds up and a couch with storage is underneath. More to come but so far I like it. Liking the 7' height but it is definitely tall!
Pursuitofsolitude
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions