Outdoor showers?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Outdoor showers?

Postby Karebru » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:56 pm

If I could start over, the one thing I'd change would be to include a shower. I left it out because for the most part, we plan to stay in state parks and campgrounds with shower facilities. But now with COVID, it looks like access is pretty limited. Or, will be for a while.
An outdoor shower and enclosure wouldn't be a problem to purchase or DIY.
But... Do the parks frown on them and the water running out on to the ground?
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Re: Outdoor showers?

Postby aggie79 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:52 am

Karebru wrote:If I could start over, the one thing I'd change would be to include a shower. I left it out because for the most part, we plan to stay in state parks and campgrounds with shower facilities. But now with COVID, it looks like access is pretty limited. Or, will be for a while.
An outdoor shower and enclosure wouldn't be a problem to purchase or DIY.
But... Do the parks frown on them and the water running out on to the ground?

To your question, yes, parks frown on - and most prohibit - dumping gray water on the ground. When we tent camped, we carried a basin to put inside of the tent to collect the water and emptied it at a dump station.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby hankaye » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:54 am

Karebru, Howdy;

Best way is to ask the folks that run the place(s).

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dogcatcher » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:44 am

The water drainage, I have no clue, but I like the shower on this rig.
https://youtu.be/2e9m1j_LqlA?list=PLkbC ... vFkSxvpq1c

Better add this how to link https://www.shawneehillsworkshop.com/en ... r-encloser
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:44 pm

Here it is not allowed in State parks or other campgrounds.

You can make or buy a catchment tray. The easiest it too use a spill containment pallet. Then you can dump it or pump it out to dump it in an approved area.

We boondock so it's never really an issue. We use earth friendly soaps. It is nice to be able to stand on something other than wet dirt, mud. So having a small platform of some sorts if nice.

I like that folding shower screen dogcatcher posted. That may be another addition soon. Not sure why he made the box hinge up though??? I'd probably mount it the other way so the lid flops down out of the way. You could even use the lip of the lid as a
shelf to hold soap and whatever.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby Karebru » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:57 pm

dirtsailor2003 wrote:Here it is not allowed in State parks or other campgrounds.

You can make or buy a catchment tray. The easiest it too use a spill containment pallet. Then you can dump it or pump it out to dump it in an approved area.

We boondock so it's never really an issue. We use earth friendly soaps. It is nice to be able to stand on something other than wet dirt, mud. So having a small platform of some sorts if nice.

I like that folding shower screen dogcatcher posted. That may be another addition soon. Not sure why he made the box hinge up though??? I'd probably mount it the other way so the lid flops down out of the way. You could even use the lip of the lid as a

Thanks for the responses! :thumbsup:
A containment pallet might also serve as a tank for my sink drain line.
That folding enclosure is pretty impressive too.
The wheels are turning... :thinking:
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:16 am

Karebru wrote:
dirtsailor2003 wrote:Here it is not allowed in State parks or other campgrounds.

Thanks for the responses! :thumbsup:
A containment pallet might also serve as a tank for my sink drain line.
That folding enclosure is pretty impressive too.
The wheels are turning... :thinking:

I know that they make the pallets with wheels. In college I worked at a warehouse that carried industrial safety products and these pallets were part of our stock. would make dumping easier.

How about a couple other ideas. Small inflatable kid pool. Easy to store, would have to pump out to dump. Water heater pan could work too.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby hankaye » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:26 am

Karebru, Howdy;

Someone on here is using one of these, pick a friendly size.

https://www.google.com/search?q=galvani ... 99&bih=737

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby onehoser » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:46 am

i plan on cutting the bottom 6" or so off of a 45 gallon plastic barrel for my shower/dog bath. lighter than metal and less likely to damage something if it bangs into it. it does help that i have a few barrels behind the garage
:)
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:10 pm

I took an idea from Tony and bought a $10 HF 2 gallon sprayer. I removed the wand extension from the valve and was able to screw the spray tip directly to the hand valve. I hogged out the tip to get a coarser spray.

Now this is not like a home shower but it does direct enough water to wash off soap and is very economical with the water.

As far as grey water is concerned. A shower with no or very little soap should not be of concern. Dish water with food and oils is very bad.
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby dogcatcher » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:43 pm

For water collection look for a fold up kiddie wading pool. Stores in a small package and about 3 foot in diameter after unfolded. Most also have a drain feature for a hose.

Another suggestion, make your shower stall big enough to include a chair or stool so you can sit down to get your britches on. The fabric walls will not support you when you fall over.

Another shower head idea, at our hunting camp we had a canvas water bucket that we added a shower head on the bottom with a shut off valve. Dump a gallon of water in the bucket, water on to wet down, water off to soap down, and water on to rinse off. I don't have a picture of that shower, but here is a description. A pallet base, 4 posts with about a half a sheet of plywood on each side, one of which was hinged. A small bench on one side, the shower bucket held by a cross bar.
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Karebru » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:44 pm

dogcatcher wrote:Another suggestion, make your shower stall big enough to include a chair or stool so you can sit down to get your britches on. The fabric walls will not support you when you fall over.

When? Not if? :roll:
Well... Yeah, okay. :guzzle:

I like the spill pallet idea because you're not standing in the waste water... and it's just cool. 8)
I have one of these 35 gal. tanks, left over from supplying water to a rabbit herd. (Long story.) If I had it in the bed of the truck, I could transfer the grey water to it over the course of a long weekend, then dump it on my way out.
...I've been trying to think of a use for it.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Aussie leslie » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:08 am

Man love reading all of this carn't stop laughing as in Aussie land we don't have all the troubles you have in US as Aussie land is so big , plenty of room to move .
Aussie leslie
Teardrop Builder

Postby Karebru » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:39 pm

Aussie leslie wrote:Man love reading all of this carn't stop laughing as in Aussie land we don't have all the troubles you have in US as Aussie land is so big , plenty of room to move .

Happy to provide you with entertainment, mate! :beer:
... :roll:
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:35 pm

Last edited by Shadow Catcher on Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions