6x12 "let's get off the ground" cargo conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

6x12 "let's get off the ground" cargo conversion

Postby txen » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:53 pm

Picked up a new 6x12 over the fall and am about 75 percent built out now. We've taken it on 3 trips and have a few ideas of how we want to finish it out. Main things are completing the kitchen and making a decision on what type of AC to install (simple window or mini split). Main goals of the build were to keep the costs low, while still making it a nice place to hang out if it's really hot or raining. Not a luxury ride, but something with a bit more protection than a pop up while staying light weight. I also want to convert from the drop axle to straight axle at some point.

More pics in my gallery if your interested in seeing more. I'll update the thread as I continue on the project.
Last edited by txen on Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txen
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 6x12 "let's get off the ground" cargo conversion

Postby Tas » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:59 pm

I’ll be following your AC install.

I’m in a similar situation......don’t want to spend $1000 + on the typical roof AC. Still considering a wall hatch with some type of support to hold the AC. My enclosed is used primarily to haul the race bike to the track and to sleep in. I’m good with inserting the AC into the hatch as needed. I’m still over thinking which side of the v-nose I want to put it in along with cutting into the skin.
Tas
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:31 pm

Tas wrote:I’ll be following your AC install.

I’m in a similar situation......don’t want to spend $1000 + on the typical roof AC. Still considering a wall hatch with some type of support to hold the AC. My enclosed is used primarily to haul the race bike to the track and to sleep in. I’m good with inserting the AC into the hatch as needed. I’m still over thinking which side of the v-nose I want to put it in along with cutting into the skin.

In my first CTC build, I put a window unit through the middle of the ramp at the floor level. It worked great. I will dig up some pics to show you tomorrow. On my second build, I built into a cabinet and used fridge vents for intake and output..... Third time.... still designing... build in March 2021,..

However, in all three... window units.. work great and inexpensive...
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby txen » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:09 pm

flboy wrote:
Tas wrote:I’ll be following your AC install.

In my first CTC build, I put a window unit through the middle of the ramp at the floor level. It worked great. I will dig up some pics to show you tomorrow. On my second build, I built into a cabinet and used fridge vents for intake and output..... Third time.... still designing... build in March 2021,..

However, in all three... window units.. work great and inexpensive...

Just checked out your vid on youtube, nice work on that trailer!

I'm probably going to put a hatch on the wall and mount it higher so its above the seating/sleeping area. I considered the ramp door.. may still go that route for better airflow. The v nose is out as I want to keep that space for the kitchen.
txen
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 6x12

Postby flboy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:45 pm

Here are a few pics of my first build and the real simple way to use a window unit. The ramp still works for motorcycle and 4 wheeler would straddle the AC opening.

The hinged cover that latches over the opening and swings out also kept rain off as well... not that rain would hurt the outside part of the unit.

The unit literally took less than a minute to install on site. I just unmatched the opening cover and push the AC in which sets on floor. Ideally the AC should be higher up, but the AC has more capacity than needed for the small trailer, so it didn't matter much. It just simply cooled the entire space.

latches for cover are on the inside and then I stick white foam square in recess area for insulation when the window unit is not in the space.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tas » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:46 pm

I haven't really considered using the ramp door for the hatch but I am starting to really like that idea.

How's the strength of the hatch when rolling the bike over the hatch? My bike is in the 400lb range.

Sorry to maybe have hijacked the thread.....I hope these questions and answers help you out txen.
Tas
Teardrop Builder

Postby txen » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:00 pm

Tas wrote:I haven't really considered using the ramp door for the hatch but I am starting to really like that idea.

How's the strength of the hatch when rolling the bike over the hatch? My bike is in the 400lb range.

Sorry to maybe have hijacked the thread.....I hope these questions and answers help you out txen.

No worries, I'm considering it too :-) My only concern is it might freeze out who ever is on our bunk across the back.. and I already ran power to the side, but that's easy to fix.
txen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby txen » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:11 am

I installed a larger exit window over the weekend, allowing me to keep the back locked up while we are sleeping an not having to rig up a way to get out. It's more than 2x the width of the previous window allowing a lot more light in. I'm pretty happy with it. I'll relocate the window I took out to the front at some point.

I also picked up a window ac unit, decided to keep it simple for now. Still working out if I want to put it in the rear door or on the side somewhere. I'll post pics once I have the location worked out and have a hatch installed.164496164495
txen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby txen » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:08 pm

Got the AC hatch installed last weekend. Was more of a pain that the windows which surprised me, but it in and sealed up well. I got the hatch on ebay pretty cheap and it didn't have a frame so I just used some aluminum angle to hold it in place. Next step is to build a frame around it (so it looks better) and build a small shelf to support the AC. I found a deal on a Toshiba 5k unit at Home Depot, and it easily fits the hatch with is 18x18. I can run the AC on high with my small 2K generator in economy mode. I'll post pics of the frame with the AC in when it's done.. likely a few weeks out.

txen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby txen » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:18 am

AC is in! This was more of a pain that I figured it would be, but I'm happy with how it turned out. In my haste fitting the AC unit the first time it fell out, hit the fender and landed in some bushes. Amazingly, it still works. I ran it in the trailer on an 80 degree day and it worked really well.

I took some of the trim I took off the walls and used it to build up a simple window frame. It's not the most attractive, but it works perfectly. I'll probably find a picture or something I can use to cover it when we don't take AC along.

Here's a pic on the inside

Here's the outside
txen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:58 am

Very nice! It looks great! That will make for some comfortable sleeping on those hot summer nights. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby txen » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:07 pm

Thanks! Now I just have to figure out where to mount my generator box :-)
txen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:13 pm

Looking good! That AC unit will be the ticket in the hot and humid Houston area!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby txen » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:22 pm

I'm sure hoping that's the case :-) First trip where we will use it is next month on the beach.. I'm looking forward to a cool cabin.
txen
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions