Anyone tried a DUAL HOSE portable AC in a CTC?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Anyone tried a DUAL HOSE portable AC in a CTC?

Postby onehoser » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:17 am

i have screening covering the opening in the floor and have a piece of plywood (not installed yet) that acts as a slide gate to cover the opening below the floor level when traveling or when not in use. i'm using 1/2" angle iron as rails/ways attached to the floor 'joists'. i will post up pics of it once the weather breaks and i get back to work on it...
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby onehoser » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:50 am

i should add that a divider between the hot air exhaust and cold air intake below floor level is needed for it to run efficiently . at the moment i just prop up a piece of plywood until i come up with something simple like a mud flap....?
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby ISOTNT » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:00 pm

onehoser wrote:i should add that a divider between the hot air exhaust and cold air intake below floor level is needed for it to run efficiently . at the moment i just prop up a piece of plywood until i come up with something simple like a mud flap....?

Yeah, I was thinking about some sort of louvers that would deflect the hot out the side from under and pull the cooler from the other direction. I'm really trying to make everything I do easily replaceable, in that I can just go to HomeDepot/Lowes etc and get another in the middle of a trip. I have had big 5ers and I don't want to have anything else to do with RV specific hardware.
ISOTNT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ISOTNT » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:43 am

Just an update that we took a quick trip with the dirt bikes to try things out a bit and the dual hose AC froze us out. Now, granted it only got up into the 80s outside, but I set the AC to it's lowest setting at 61 and it pulled that CTC right down to a very chilly 61 by the time we got back from a ~2hr ride.
Please forgive the crudity of the install so far, as I just had to get something going for the trip.

Fridge and Cabinet.jpg
Fridge and Cabinet.jpg (296.81 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Dual Hose AC(Large).jpg
Dual Hose AC(Large).jpg (266.09 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Maiden voyage.jpg
Maiden voyage.jpg (193.99 KiB) Viewed 850 times
ISOTNT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:34 pm

Glad it worked for you. I'd expect the dual hose to preform well. Really is no different than hanging one out the window or building into a cabinet with outside venting. It is the single hose systems that do not work well.

My only problem early on (besides the floorspace it took up wiht hoses and etc.) was that I could not find a dual hose system below 8,000 BTU (10,000 +) seemed most common) and one that would run from Eco Mode on a Honda EU2000i. Other than that... why not. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby ISOTNT » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:15 pm

Yeah, I expect that it might not run on a 2000 with compressor surge current along with other draws. I tested with my 3500 and it's just fine and runs at ~750w with compressor on. The 3500 running in eco gives a very small rev when it kicks in, but nothing significant. I agree it does take up a lot of space, which is probably the biggest downside. But, on the bright side, it is much quieter than the roof units I had in my 5er when I had that and can be used as a dehumidifier with permanent drain in the winter months, so we'll see how that goes.
ISOTNT
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions