CTC and Teardrop?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

CTC and Teardrop?

Postby Karebru » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:38 am

There are a few here who have done, or are doing more than one cargo trailer conversion.
Has anyone built a teardrop too? Either before or after your CT?
Not in my plans. I'm just curious.
Teardrops are what originally got me interested, then I saw CTCs and decided it would be more practical ...and wife friendly.
Teardrops are still cool, though. 8)
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Re: CTC and Teardrop?

Postby Karebru » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:54 pm

Guess not. :roll:
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Modstock » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:29 pm

I bought a mostly built teardrop that needed work. Hatch was built wrong and leaked, no cabinets just a shelf.
The galley was unfinished and the outside trim was awful.
Had it about 7 years and each winter I'd fix one of those problems to the point where the whole trailer got finished.
We camped one season with it totally done and then sold it to build our cargo trailer.
People ask if we miss our teardrop ?
Yes, Every hill we come upon.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Karebru » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:30 am

There IS a practicality to small and light weight.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:35 am

Built a teardrop. Want to build a CT conversion. Bought a travel trailer (used).

We loved the teardrop. It could be pulled easily with our Honda CR-V with almost no impact on mileage. Then age set in, and the number of "night excursions" increased. We added a side tent and porta-potty. This worked well for a few more years. However, setting up the side tent and porta-potty was extra work and took away from the simplicity of the teardrop.

We had another other issue with the teardrop that we couldn't find a work-around. In Texas, it is either extremely hot and humid, raining, or cold (at least by our definition of cold). Cold doesn't bother us, but in hot or rainy weather there wasn't room to escape the weather and stretch out in the teardrop.

That lead us to a travel trailer. I wanted to build a CT conversion, and still may sometime, but I didn't have the time for a big project. We do like the indoor bathroom and shower in the travel trailer.

However, I do miss our teardrop.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby PCO6 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:57 am

I have a tear drop, an expedition trailer and a fibreglass trailer. I've always been intrigued by CTC's so I guess that's next. :D

I was 85% through the completion of my expedition trailer (link below) when my wife decided she wanted to go camping with me. She never had before while I've been doing it since I was a kid. She had no interest in that trailer so we tented it with my utility trailer (forgot that one) with modifications to carry bikes and kayaks.

We bought a fibreglass trailer (1986 Cadet) project. She tired of waiting so we bought a 2019 Coachmen Clipper 9.0 TD. It's more of a tear "pop" and we can stand up in it. It's in this TnTTT thread ... viewtopic.php?f=22&t=71585 . It's been great and I'm now back at the Cadet (building a new frame, custom fibreglass work, complete new interior, etc.). It will be a semi-offroad trailer which will be fun and kind of unusual for this kind of trailer.

So, even at 4 trailers, I'm thinking ahead to a CTC. I just need to clear some space in the yard and tell my wife why I'm doing it.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions