Fantastic Fan alternatives

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Fantastic Fan alternatives

Postby LinearLynn » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:44 pm

$200! Yikes! Is it worth it? Or should I look into alternatives? I feel like I could rip the motor out of any fan and have my buddy 3D print the blades for 1/8 the cost of those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LinearLynn
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Fantastic Fan alternatives

Postby flboy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:15 pm

I think they are worth it. The Fantastic Fan and Maxxair fans are great. Different prices and options, but you should be able to get the lower end for $179 if you shop around.

However, if you can do something for 1/8 the cost that is as reliable and effective... you should try it. These are DC fans.. a good small car electric radiator fan motor on a pulse width type variable speed control would rock if you can make that work. You'd have to engineer mounts and etc. to get it secure in the 14inch square area. I'd like to see that. If you find the right one with a good shroud, it might just bolt up , blade and all with some minor modifications.

I made a generator sound box years ago and used a car fan for cooling and it pushed some air!

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:13 pm

LinearLynn wrote:$200! Yikes! Is it worth it? Or should I look into alternatives? I feel like I could rip the motor out of any fan and have my buddy 3D print the blades for 1/8 the cost of those!

Some questions I would ask... Are you camping where night time temps are high? Do you want a breeze blowing on you? Are you looking for 12v powered fans? Do you want a hole in your roof with a plastic housing over it? Are you a DIYer and want to build your own ventilation system? Do you eat a lot of beans : )

Some of us build our ventilation system. The possibilities are endless. Search "Case Fans" on tnttt and you'll likely come up with simple and complex uses. But, the Fantastic and Maxxair models are well liked by many and those that have them are pleased. I camp mostly in the northern midwest and Canada (when they'll let me back in), so at night I don't need anything more than what I have made.

I use two 120mm case fans designed for computer cases. They each move about 33 CFM so in my teardrop I change the air once about every 3 or 4 minutes.
A four pack (1.8w, .15a, 45CFM) https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-r4-s2s-124k-gp-case-fan/p/N82E16835103052?Description=120mm%20case%20fan&cm_re=120mm_case%20fan-_-35-103-052-_-Product

I also use a 220mm case (2.4 watts, .2 amps, 130 CFM) fan I mounted in a frame that I can turn on me when the temps are high.
https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-cl-f015-pl20bl-a-case-fan/p/N82E16835106224?item=N82E16835106224&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-case+fans-_-N82E16835106224&gclid=Cj0KCQjw38-DBhDpARIsADJ3kjk7S3L_13w_3f6unRU_94a2aXlJhE97JHkPd7AYqSC8VzpoLD-VTZoaAh34EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby jwh92020 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:38 pm

I've been using these in builds where there is an existing vent. They work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-Industries ... B00DPJ3RDA
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby Rainier70 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:50 pm

I too use the Heng's Vortex fan. It works very well. It isn't as powerful as the Maxair and Fantastic, but I seldom need more cfm than what the Heng fan provides.

Here is a copy of the post I made on it in my build two years ago. It is still running strong.

"One of the updates I wanted to mention was my new fan. I had been using a computer fan, and it was great. It was very quiet and had low power usage. I was going to buy another one when I saw the Vortex II fan by Heng. It was reasonably priced, has 3 forward speeds, and 2 reverse. High is 188 CFM and uses 1.18 amps. I am not sure what low uses. Low is quiet, but not as quiet as my computer fan was. It does move a lot more air so I don't have it on for very long. I have had the fan now for almost a year, and I am really pleased with it."

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55219&start=255
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby LinearLynn » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:29 am

Wow! Thanks for all the tips and links, guys! I am really liking that computer case fan idea. I'll do some more digging into tnttt on that.

The hengs fan looks awesome. We have a couple vents already cut in the walls from manufacturer as is, thats a great way to use them, love your build journal!! Our CT is just about the same size as yours.

Does anybody have a reccommendation on sealent for the outside if we cut a hole? I saw some boat repair silicone I was thinking of using, or maybe even tar?

LinearLynn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:06 am

LinearLynn wrote:Does anybody have a reccommendation on sealent for the outside if we cut a hole? I saw some boat repair silicone I was thinking of using, or maybe even tar?

I've used Butyl tape when installing things like windows, vents, etc. No failures so far. :thumbsup:
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:03 am

Butyl tape, then Dicor self leveling sealer over screws and edges.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:33 pm

flboy wrote:.. a good small car electric radiator fan motor on a pulse width type variable speed control would rock if you can make that work. You'd have to engineer mounts and etc....

TimC wrote: Search "Case Fans" on tnttt and you'll likely come up with simple and complex uses...I use two 120mm case fans designed for computer cases. They each move about 33 CFM so in my teardrop I change the air once about every 3 or 4 minutes.

* Living in N. Texas, camping in Texas and Oklahoma, makes using A/C, 110vac fans (both off of parkpower or generator), and/or 12vdc-powerwd case fans very important. The usual temp range is 60f-110f, in March thru September.

* When I started building the trailer. I wanted to use heavy-duty hardware, industrial-look (trucking...I ran shipping/receiving depts, for years) parts, and perhaps re-purposed automotive parts (50+ years of automotive shade-tree mechanics, + 20+ years of drag racing...lotsa parts still lying around).

* I used rooftop vents (mounted on the sidewalls) from semi-trailers, and tried using some radiator fans for cooling, placed over the vents and one free-hanging. The vents worked great, but the radiator fans did not (in tests), much too loud/draw too many amps in such a small space (4x8 trailers are tight...), so I used a tabletop house fan mounted under the front shelf, and two 120mm computer case fans on swingaway mounts over the side vents. Mine only draw .18 ah, and push/pull 67 cfm.The 110vac main fan only uses 3 amps, so if I had to, I could use it via my inverter.

* And then there's the two awning windows, which I can use on cooler nights or in the rain; but using the A/C in 85f+ nights is normal for me.
swingaway fans.jpg
swingaway fans.jpg (202.36 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
center-mount, under front shelf, 10 inch 110vac fan.jpg
center-mount, under front shelf, 10 inch 110vac fan.jpg (237.76 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TimC » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:26 pm

If you like the case fans used in a fairly complex and not yet proven manner... :thinking: On my son's current foamie benroy these photos show a roof top rear exit method that is complicating the hell out of finishing the roof (PMF seams galore). Like I said, interesting but not a proven design. And we will likely incorporate a plug for the vent outlet to keep water out when cruising down the road in rain. It would have been helpful to apply fly screen to the ports before we glued the roof into place. After designing and building this vent my son, who is much more math wiz than I, calculated that the area of the vent will restrict the fan's ability to move air, so he will likely see a reduction in the actual CFM. Maybe as much as one third.

Here are photos of the interior. It's a work in progress. Fans are not installed yet and partitions inside the cabinet are not in place. There will be four 120mm case fans with each pair switched independently. It should change the air in the cabin about every two minutes. The two vents are to the left and right screened with 1/8" hardware cloth painted black. The center cabinet will just be storage. Should have painted the interior of the inside vents black to hide them a bit better.

Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby LinearLynn » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:21 am

Wow!! Thanks everyone for your awesome suggestions!! I think I am going to do something with computer case fans. I'll keep you updated!!

LinearLynn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby LinearLynn » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:21 am

Wow!! Thanks everyone for your awesome suggestions!! I think I am going to do something with computer case fans. I'll keep you updated!!

LinearLynn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:20 am

I see many folks using 12v fans but few suggest passive ventilation. I have one ceiling vent and want to install another above our heads. I've even thought of a diy large vent, removable cover for star gazing.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby LinearLynn » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:01 am

Tomterrific wrote:I see many folks using 12v fans but few suggest passive ventilation. I have one ceiling vent and want to install another above our heads. I've even thought of a diy large vent, removable cover for star gazing.

Tt
Removable cover for stargazing certainly sounds dreamy!! Love that idea.
LinearLynn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:40 pm

This is a Fantastic Fan housing but the fans are two 120mm Antec three speed case fans. They are connected to a SPDT switch so that one or both fans can be on. We find that we seldom have them on high. When we have the AC on one of the fans is on keeping the air from stratifying.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions