where do you store your generator

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

where do you store your generator

Postby beachguy005 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:58 pm

So, I'm selling my house in S. Florida and taking my 5x5x12 on the road. While I've spent 2 month trips traveling with it, I'm not sure how a much longer term trip will pan out given the small space. I may end up buying a small TT.
That being said, I want to give it a go with my CTC and I've been prepping for it.
One of the issues I'm working on is storage for my portable inverter gen. and some gas for it. My TV is an SUV and the trailer has a short tongue. I hate the thought of needing to store either of them in my living or driving space.
I may be able to mount a small tongue box to hold a couple of 1 gal. gas cans.
Curious as to how others store them with such limited space.
Thanks,
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Re: where do you store your generator

Postby John61CT » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:29 pm

If you have more "wiggle room" consider adding water capacity

if not maybe behind the axle, down low CoG and weight centered laterally

will help with the added forward weight.

I'd build the box, then maybe lengthen the tongue to suit if needed.

So long as your tongue weight doesn't get too high, going a bit over 10% is better than under for road safety

Your jerry can can stay empty until you get near the campsite if that helps, or just drive a bit slower.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby FLShooter84 » Sat May 08, 2021 7:08 pm

Whats the worry about storing the generator in the trailer or tow vehicle?

I have a Honda 2000 in my trailer right now and it doesn't smell at all. No gas fumes and I do think I forgot to close the air valve on the tank lid.
FLShooter84
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Iconfabul8 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:22 am

I would think seriously about mounting it on the roof of the suv some how. I assume we are talking about a small inverter gen. That would isolate noise and vibration from the trailer, be semi permanent. A lot of us toss them in the back of our trucks. This would be about the same setup as that.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby BuildingOurDayDream » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:38 pm

I'm planning on hauling with it in the bed of my pickup and remove/replace as necessary. But then I see you're towing with an SUV...
BuildingOurDayDream
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolfscout » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:15 am

If you're not going to be going in and out your rear doors, I saw a CTC the other week the guy had welded on (somehow) a cargo basket carrier. He had his generator chained to it with a gas can on the side. I suppose that'd work fine. My trailer has no frame across the very rear of it. sucks butt too.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby working on it » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:13 am

* I'm late to the conversation, but here's my thoughts on the matter, anyway. I basically built my squareback 4x8 around two things, an inboard-mounted A/C unit, and the onboard generator to power it, if needed away from "park power" at campgrounds. The first item installed in the trailer was the generator, several months before I got around to installing the A/C unit (and right-angle ducting system).

* A 2500 watt Craftsman generator (with Honda engine) was selected for three attributes:
  • 1) under 80 lbs weight (when mounted to slideout/swivel base),
  • 2) easy-starting, dependable engine, and
  • 3) would easily fit in the 22"wide x 22"deep x 20"high space alloted for it.
The 2500 watt rating is more than capable of powering the 5000 btu LG window unit, with amps left for other uses. I had admired that generator for years before I traded a finicky 6000 watt generator I couldn't depend on (and it was too large & heavy) to a friend for it. The only drawback was the 1 quart fuel capacity, but I added an extended-run fuel tank later, to remedy that shortcoming. https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59704&hilit=generator

* I've only used it once or twice while testing, never needing it while camping, but it's there if I ever do (I also have a 3800 watt generator I might be able to use in its' place, but it's so damned useful around the house...it has a very nice wheeled cart). The 2500 watt generator had a similar cat, but I mounted my 110vac flux welder on it...I waste nothing). I probably wouldn't install a generator onboard, if I were to do it all over, since my plans for boondock offroad camping never materialized, because I got old and unhealthy, after building it just before retirement. But it works, and if ever I need it....
galley-storage layout.jpg
galley-storage layout.jpg (200.64 KiB) Viewed 332 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:19 am

On the roof.

I couldn't resist. :D

Tony

p.s. Just another reminder to me that I'm thankful I don't need an AC (and thus a generator) where we camp. :thumbsup:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wrecit » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:21 pm

If you have welding skills or someone that can weld for you fab out to mount a trailer hitch rack out the rear then get one of those hitch cargo decks to travel with it. Get to camp unload the generator, pull the pin then pull the cargo deck out of the hitch and slide it under the trailer so you can still open the rear.
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions