v-nose axle placement

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

v-nose axle placement

Postby hikaru » Sun May 02, 2021 7:48 am

So, I've nearly finished my 7x12 single axle build, and will write up a complete build walkthrough when I'm done. After a few trips, I'm starting to suspect the manufacturer misplaced the axle, and am hoping for some expert advice.

I'm no pro, but I've done the required reading on the general rules of placement, the 60/40 rule, etc. What I can't find is a clear answer, when calculating placement on a V-nose, which exactly is "the box"? (The 12' square box, or the 14' "tip of the V"?)

The frame is 16' total length - 12' "box", 2' "V", and 2' "hitch". -OR- ... is the "hitch" here really 4' long, and the "V" is considered just a big tall hitch toolbox?

The manufacturer seems to have placed the axle approx 36% from the rear, assuming the front of the "square" is the front of the "box".. (I assume they placed it a little closer to rear because it's a ramp.)

However, now that I've finished the build, the trailer has approx. 25% of the weight on the tongue. I'm not overweight - fully loaded it's about 3000lb, with a little over 750 on the tongue. Sadly, the way it's built, the more I load, the more goes on the tongue.

1) Did the manufacturer put this too far back? Should it be 60/40 from the front of the V? Or from the front of the "square box"?
2) Is it better to go through the trouble of moving the axle, or just spend that ## on weight distribution and call it quits?

Seems a little goofy to run WD on a 7x12 at 3000lb, but I'm also not keen on jacking it up and amateur welding new brackets.

Opinions and thoughts?
hikaru
Teardrop Inspector

Re: v-nose axle placement

Postby hankaye » Sun May 02, 2021 7:58 am

hikaru, Howdy;

The best folks to ask are the ones that built the trailer as that measurement
might vary from one maker to the next.

By the way; WELCOME to the madness! :D

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions