Flat Front vs. V Nose, etc

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Flat Front vs. V Nose, etc

Postby NVCowboy » Tue May 18, 2021 8:09 pm

Have yet to buy my trailer for a hunting/utility trailer build.

I’ve been thinking 6x12 tandem. What’s the cost/ benefit analysis of v nose versus flat front? Anyone regret 6x12 versus 7x14? Towing with a Superduty for now. Eventually, a new Bronco with a 3500 tow limit is in my plans. Even when the Bronco arrives, utility towing will be with the Superduty.

Thanks
B
NVCowboy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Flat Front vs. V Nose, etc

Postby Modstock » Tue May 18, 2021 10:29 pm

I've towed both and v-nose is the only way to go (aerodynamically). Plus ya get an extra foot or two in the v-nose.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Grummy » Wed May 19, 2021 1:16 am

I had 7 x 14 space in a truck once, then moved to a 6 x 12 trailer. The 7 x 14 dimension sure felt a lot larger all around. The 6 x 12 is more cramped feeling, but..... it comes down to your specific needs and what works for you. 6 x12 in a tandem puts a lot of axles in play for a rather short trailer. It would take quite the specific load to get it to its gross capacity, while its not all that hard when you only have a single axle in the same dimension.

If you are going to pull it all the time with a truck, I'd opt for the 7 x 14 (and tandem for sure). But, I don't think the Bronco's 3500 capacity NOR the wheelbase is really enough to make a good tow vehicle for a 7 x 14. The Bronco's width, wheelbase and capacity is far more suitable for a 6 x 12.

Finally, regards Flat or V-Nose... I currently have a V-Nose, mostly because it made the most sense in a single axle 6 x 12 and what I am using as a TV. If I had a Full Size truck to tow with, I already know I would buy a 7 x 14 FLAT front. I would do this so I could BUILD a full height "V" shaped storage garage on the tongue to hold all the things I wouldn't want inside the trailer. A "V" shaped box on the front that runs full height will look like a V-Nose and perhaps offer the aerodynamics of a V-Nose.

One tall door on one side of this "V-Garage " and with shelves inside could handle all of the following and more: A/C Unit, Generator, Furnace, Fuel Storage, Batteries, Tarps/Straps/Etc.. Fumes, grubby stuff... all "Separate" from the interior.

The added tongue weight is very easily countered by things installed or located behind the axle as necessary, and that location makes common sense if you decide to add water or waste tanks under the frame. Tanks can always be "adjusted" to help with proper trailer balance.

Whichever trailer company starts to make "V-Garages" and offer them for their flat front trailers (especially with extended tongues) is going to increase sales substantially. They'd be a hit. You heard it here first, 5-19-2021. ( well, actually, I have mentioned it before :-) )
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby swoody126 » Wed May 19, 2021 6:50 am

Grummy's comment

I don't think the Bronco's 3500 capacity NOR the wheelbase is really enough to make a good tow vehicle for a 7 x 14. The Bronco's width, wheelbase and capacity is far more suitable for a 6 x 12.

is spot on

the 6x12 has a 3500# axe under it which is the max weight for the Bronco's specs

most all of the 7x14's have 2-3500# axles(7000# cap) under them making them illegal in the eyes of most law dogs/states if being towed by a Bronco w/ 3500# cap

i have both an F-350(7.3, crew, 4x4, 8' box) and a Cherokee(4x4) and can tell you that the wheel base of the Cherokee makes for some sporty adventures even w/ the 6x12

the F-350 really felt the 7x14 even when empty

the windage and the 2nd axle made a real difference in feeling what i was towing

when loaded w/ a sidecar equipped M/C and suitable kit for extended adventures the weight added to the "feel" of the 7x14 behind the F-350

though it could pull the 7x14 the Cherokee got really stupid/unsafe when cornering and even worse when stopping

i suppose adaptations could be paid for that would reduce the effects of the 7x14 on your Bronco butt i'd still not like to even be a rider when they were hooked together

just this old man's 2¢ worth this morning

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby hankaye » Wed May 19, 2021 8:07 am

NVCowboy, Howdy;

First Welcome to the fun side of life!

I kinda split the difference. I have a 6X14 single axel. Tow it with a 2004 F-250 (6.0 diesel, 8' bed, w/4wd),
Mine has the slightly rounded 'Flat' nose. Hardly know it's back there. Get's me around the Gila Wilderness
Forest Service Roads well.
This was in West Yellowstone

P6160109.JPG
P6160109.JPG (287.39 KiB) Viewed 1656 times

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby John61CT » Wed May 19, 2021 8:55 am

Going slower (gasp) has a **lot** more impact than aerodynamics on MPG and (especially) safety.

A small truck can safely tow a huge volume (not too heavy not too light) trailer

so long as you're willing to stay well below the speed limit.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Thu May 20, 2021 7:44 am

Howdy;

John61CT wrote:Going slower (gasp) has a **lot** more impact than aerodynamics on MPG and (especially) safety.

A small truck can safely tow a huge volume (not too heavy not too light) trailer

so long as you're willing to stay well below the speed limit.

Yup, even had a commercial on tv ... Toyota towing a space shuttle, but could the Toyota
bring it to a stop in a hurry, methinks not.

Generally the issue is not mileage, ability to get it moving and keep it going it's the ability to
control the towed vehicle and that means ability to bring it to a complete stop in a safe manner
in a short distance.
The other limiting factor is the tires weight a speed ratings. On full display on the sidewalls;
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/read ... e-sidewall

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Thu May 20, 2021 8:16 am

One thing no one looks up for a vehicle’s towing capacity is maximum frontal area for the trailer. Even if you’re okay on gross weight and tongue weight, you could exceed the frontal area. Like several have said, drag can affect vehicle performance and efficiency more than weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby flboy » Thu May 20, 2021 10:31 pm

I agree. I have s 2020 F250 gasser and an empty 6*12 weighing 1850 lbs dropped the milage 3 to 4 mpg. Will let you know what it is loaded when I use it the first time. Buy I am guessing it won't change much.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Tue May 25, 2021 9:07 am

Again, frontal area, or anything to do with aerodynamics

can easily be compensated for by just dropping your speed, even getting off the freeways and exploring the local attractions on the surface roads.

If going over 50mph is critical for you, then yes, it's worth paying attention to slipstreaming effects.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Tue May 25, 2021 9:14 am

Lol.. really no affect if you leave it in the driveway and don't move it.. just kidding.. I get it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby ZColorado » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:54 am

I'm a huge fan on the flat front. If you want a place to easily carry
1: Propane
2: Spare tire
3: Batteries
4: Mini split - seriously better then most other AC units
5: Maybe a generator?

You need some space for those things. The benefits of the v-nose on the turbulent air behind the tow vehicle is a hotly contested topic. I don't believe it has an appreciable benefit. Most of the drag comes from the tail suction anyways.
ZColorado
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gulfcoast » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:28 am

I just had a choice and chose a V-nose trailer. I also got an extended tongue so the tongue length up front is the same.
6x12 cargo trailer - Mini Split A/C - Starlink - TMobile home internet
Gulfcoast
Teardrop Master

Postby onehoser » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:43 pm

i also opted for the vnose on my 5x8 and my 6x12. when i ordered my 6x12 i had the tongue extended 18”, not so much for mounting tires etc but more for being able to open the swing gate on my heep
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions