New build Haulmark 7x14 CTC

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

New build Haulmark 7x14 CTC

Postby Hotrod70 » Fri May 28, 2021 12:56 pm

Hello everyone. I live in the southeast United States, I do a lot of traveling to bike events, bike rallies, things of that nature. At the time, I wanted a toy hauler to haul my bike as well as have living quarters while I was at an event. At some of the events I've seen others do the CTC's. After looking into some of the builds I realize that I have all the skills in order to make this happen which is a major plus. I bought a 7x14 cargo trailer from a guy that lived in Florida for $1,000 USD. Between the salt air and his allowing the roof to continually leak, I've had my hands full.
I put four new tires on it, and upon arriving home with the trailer, I removed the roof vent and pulled the roof metal. I replaced all the wood on the roof, cleaned the metal, put the metal back on and sealed it using butyl tape between the overlapping metal pieces. Now the roof is watertight. I took a 24 x 24 piece of galvanized sheet metal and covered the center hole where the vent was. I now have the vent up front and I installed a rooftop AC unit at the rear.
Now it was on to the next step. I have pulled the plywood off the floor to fix the rusted frame which is not as bad as I thought it was going to be considering it's neglect over the years. The rear of the trailer is the worst as part of the frame is rusted away. I have cut off the crossmember piece and I will be cutting off 24" from the rear to discard the rusted area of the 2x6 rectangular tube frame. The crossmember has some rust damage as well but I'll cut out the bad area and then I will fabricate a piece to put back on to the crossmember to make it whole again. As I progresse through this build I plan to add metal framework for a 33 gallon fresh water tank behind the rear axle. This will be easily done with the flooring removed. I will then knock all the rust off the frame, I will use One-Step rust treatment, then I plan to use a high-end bed liner spray on the frame. I have checked the wiring for all of the lights and it is good but I will replace the wiring for the electric brakes as it is partially damaged. Once that is done I will use 3/4 tongue and groove Adantech for the flooring.
The reason I choose this plywood is because in my 18 years of new home construction I've seen the plywood take a lot of water and never buckle, warp or delaminate.
Once I have the flooring down I plan to lay out for my shower, counters, Murphy bed, and refrigerator. Once I have done this I will choose a location for my breaker box and I will put in a 50 amp shore power running to a 125 amp breaker box that has 12 spaces available. Once I get my wiring in for the rooftop AC, receptacles as well as lights, I will run what little plumbing there will be.
I plan on only carrying one of the portable toilets instead of having a black water tank and a fixed toilet. So basically sink and shower are the only two that I will supply water to as well as drainage which is greywater and that makes it a lot easier. I will have a propane stove/oven as well as a propane heater for the coldest parts of the winter but for those nippy nights I have an oil-filled radiator heater that runs off 110v. I have not decided if I want a propane point-of-use water heater or the 240-volt point-of-use water heater.
Once wiring and plumbing are ran I plan to insulate. I have chose to spray foam insulate under the floor and Rmax board insulation for the ceiling and walls.
From that point it's basically putting the sheathing on the walls then building my cabinets as well as my Murphy bed which will be a full size mattress.
Once everything is built and installed then it's a matter of adding the personal touches with shelving and decorations if I choose to go that route.
Now unfortunately I was injured at work and the work on the CTC has slowed tremendously. In a couple of months I should be back at it so hopefully I'll have it wrapped up by end of the year.
Hotrod70
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New build Haulmark 7x14 CTC

Postby halbraun » Fri May 28, 2021 9:19 pm

Looking forward to your build.. I have a 7x14 myself that I just started. It is a newer trailer, so did not have all the prep work you had. I have completed insulating everything and am finalizing the layout to run wiring before the siding go up.

Good luck!
halbraun
Teardrop Builder

Re: New build Haulmark 7x14 CTC

Postby Hotrod70 » Sat May 29, 2021 11:01 am

That is great news. I look forward to seeing your build completed as well. I have had a lot of prep work but I could not walk away from the price.
Attachments
new-1.jpg
This is my floor plan at the moment
new-1.jpg (116.75 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Hotrod70
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions