What are some of the higher quality enclosed trailer brands

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

What are some of the higher quality enclosed trailer brands

Postby BC Buck » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:42 pm

Been planning to do another build when retire. My 28' Doolittle is not the highest quality built trailed. The roof is radiused galvanized metal supper strong leak proof. Walls uprights are only 1x1" tube and I needed to reweld some when purchased used. My biggest complaint is door is hung with big hinges bolted through walls like many builds. When trailer leveled with 4 jacks on corners frame must twist causing door not to open and close properly.

I know Featherligh makes quality but not easily welded on, is on down side. Also old reliable Hallmark and Pace. Not sure what length but thinking 8.5'x16 to 20'. My current trailer is base camp for the farm. Next build plans for out west hunting and ATV trips. Dream buck list trip is Alaska 2024.Sory not smart enough to load a picture.
BC Buck
Teardrop Inspector

Re: What are some of the higher quality enclosed trailer bra

Postby foxontherun » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:18 pm

Aluma, Legend, and Neo are aluminum and known for good quality. I have a Neo NAMR 7x16; I would buy again if I ever needed to. Best wishes on your build.

Harry :D
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby Grummy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:29 pm

When I was planning, I was really convinced that the Legend brand is what I wanted. It would have come at a cost.... and, I would not be able to actually SEE what I was getting until after I paid for it and received it because I would have to order it.

One day, I was browsing craigslist and a nearby city's trailer dealer had an ad claiming they just got their new shipment of 12 trailers in for the spring sale. So, I took a drive to look at them personally. I was able to crawl around underneath. I've been under some other newer trailers that literally have torched off steel framework and suspension mounts, so I knew what I did not want.

I was pleasantly surprised that perhaps a brand I would have ignored when looking on the web was really well put together. Tongue was welded in flush with frame and not hanging underneath (A necessary thing for me). And it was a triple tongue with the center beam having a honeycomb web inside. All the aluminum welds (fully aluminum trailer) looked really, really good, though I could just barely detect that they had a different person welding on each side as one may have been just a tad better than the other. Suspension mounting and hardware was very nicely done. I purchased it on the spot and towed it home.

When home, I did find some areas that needed attention for potential water leaks around the floor edges that were going to be easily solved anyhow. We have to realize that enclosed trailers are not being built to be anything more than they are being sold for, occasionally moving bulk items, not being living quarters.

In the end, I am glad I just went and LOOKED at it. In fact I looked at a few of them and changed my mind about color when I was there. This brand was Amerilite by Forest River, and I'm not saying that every trailer they make is good or better than another, but I am saying that there might be an advantage to just looking at any trailer that might work for you because you can see immediately what your going to get if you lay your money down rather than hope for the best and find out you did not get what you expected. I have read many, many stories now about people ordering a specific trailer and when they got it, it had some "flaws" they did not expect. And, they paid MORE for it because they ordered it, unlike when you do buy one where a dealer just committed to a larger qty of trailers at a lower price so he could sell them at a better price than his competition.

Good Luck ! Post Photos when you get there !
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:02 am

BC Buck, Howdy;

I had pretty much the same thoughts about which one to buy. I ended up with one from Trailers Plus.
I wasn't able to find much in my local area so had to do most of my search online. TP has 4 levels of
trailers. I went with the Pro Series. Took over a year of thought and searching. Haven't had a problem
with it yet.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby theicomguy » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:35 pm

WE used a Kaufman but the factory is 2 hours away. It was great and they were great to work with. I'd look close to home.
theicomguy
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions