Length vs Width , Which do you prefer?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Length vs Width , Which do you prefer?

Postby rose090999 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:46 pm

OK, so I'm about to pull the trigger on a new CT that I will be converting to a Toy Hauler / camper. My build plan would be to incorporate a small kitchen, shower, toilet, sitting area, and 2 twin murphy style beds. Planning on using this to go cross country and looking for the best size that will allow me to boondock, get in and out of parking lots/gas stations easily, and basically be light on my feet while traveling. I'm torn between going with an 8.5x16 or a 7x18. I would go smaller but I think these 2 sizes allow me to put everything I want into it plus make the wife comfortable. Opinions?
rose090999
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Length vs Width , Which do you prefer?

Postby foxontherun » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:20 pm

Welcome to the madness! :D

My recommendation would be to go with the 7x18 instead of the 8.5 for these reasons:

1. Easier to tow; you can see around it better; the 8.5 you would need to have extended mirrors on tow vehicle.
2. The 8.5 would cause more drag when towing as it will stick out on both sides of your tow vehicle. I would imagine your tow vehicle MPG would be less than towing the 7x18.
3. IMO, 7x18 would be easier to get in/out of gas stations, parking lots, etc. I have a 7x16 and tend to use truck stops to fuel at because you will typically have more room for getting in/out than regular gas stations. Personally, I wouldn't want a wider trailer just for this aspect....getting in/out of gas stations, parking lots, etc..
4. For some reason, we tend to travel where many rural roads are only a lane and a half wide in places, ha! I would not want to have a wider trailer just for that reason, ha! I think our GPS knows when we are towing and likes to get us on those type of roads, ha! :D

Best wishes on your upcoming build; look forward to updates on what you build.
Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby rose090999 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:39 am

Thanks for the reply. All of your points are well taken. I currently tow a 26' Travel Trailer (30' tip to tail) that is a PITA due to everything you mentioned. I plan on retiring in the next 3 years and lugging that behemoth across country would definitely limit the places I could go.The concern I have with going with a 7' wide is obviously the width while living in it for an extended period. Plan is to boondock as much as possible with campgrounds/state parks/BLM land mixed in. Probably won't be driving extended hours and just taking my good ol' sweet time getting from place to place and staying for a while. So in that respect an 8.5' wide wouldn't be as much of an issue since I would most likely gas up while being un-hitched and stopped for a couple of days. The main issues I see with going 8.5 wide is getting down narrow fire roads (or turned around) and in and out of parking lots. So another question would be how often do you boondock down narrow national/state forest fire roads and is that a valid concern? Not sure either size of CT would be easy to get turned around on a narrow road :frightened: As far as parking lots, my thinking was that an 8.5x16 + TV would fit in 2 parking spaces where a 7x18 + TV may take up more than the 2 spaces and stick out more. Only issue being the 8.5' wide would be very tight if there were cars parked on either side. Thanks again for listening to my concerns...if trying to choose the perfect size CT is this hard I can't wait until the actual build begins :lol:
rose090999
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:35 am

rose090999, Howdy;

Welcome to the world of CT's. Nice opening question, I'd first figure out what it is that
you intend to haul as your "Toy". Need something that it will fit into, comfortably. Then,
you can figure out the one that will work best for you. Then comes the MOST important
bit, making sure the wife is comfortable with the end result. chucklin', that can be the
most difficult part.
Best of Luck. Please post lots of photos.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby BC Buck » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:13 pm

Im in the same boat with retirement and downsizing trailer. Some excellent points these guys commented on. I have been looking for 8' width because most trailer manufactures use same axial on 7' and they just stick out the wall. Figure what size toy plan on hauling and if being keep inside while you sleep no road. I would layout everything that will be inside trailer and see what size trailer needed. Also need to figure what will need to be mounted outside for venting like batteries, inverter/charger(gives off heat), propane, generators. Also my next build will be 2" insulation cutting down on inside space.
BC Buck
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions