Pop out bed

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Pop out bed

Postby Kulla133 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:29 am

Hello all!
We currently have a 5x8 conversion and looking to add more bed space. Would love to add a pop out bed to one side so we have the interior as cargo room with sleeping area. Honestly, not even sure where to start. What are these “technically” called? Am I able to order a full kit and install ourselves? We can’t weld. Can we hire out for the entire process?
Any information is helpful!!
Attached is a photo of what we are looking to add

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kulla133
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Pop out bed

Postby Grummy » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:45 pm

You can look up "RV Bed Door". Hang on to your wallet !

If you are mechanically creative and own an industrial sewing machine you might also search "Concession Window" and make your own DIY version.

In my opinion, the Door and frame system would be the hardest part to DIY and get leak free, that is why I would start with a ready built frame/door system like the concession window. Note, the concession window(s) will likely need reinforcement, but nothing that couldn't be accomplished.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:00 pm

In past incarnations of what we may build I also ran through how to do this. Having owned a pop-up, I never liked how the beds absorbed so mush room inside when closed, yet understood why. Why a TD you have a fixed roof. Plus on that point! Now if it could swing upward and be supported by angle supports. Cable running to lower bed platform. Then angle support back to the camper (or drops to the ground) to also support the bed. The only con is the mattress size and probably not being stored within the fold-out. Now you have a fold-out that only needs to be deployed when you need it.

Ya, I've thought about this a bit... I've gone other directions, but if I built one for my daughter (et fam) I'd be designing again..

With no welding, I see drops to the ground for support. Bunch of sewing though :roll: You up for that? :thinking:

There goes another add-on idea for TD's. Build it as a module to mount on.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wrecit » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:34 pm

If you have a man door on the side and are open to "closing in" the rear of the trailer take a look at my build log (link in signature) the process I am using on my 6x12 for my bed shelf could also be done to the front of the trailer and drop over the hitch. You need to have welding ability or a friend that can weld though
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions