Trip to South Dakota - new pics Montana, Washington, Oregon

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Postby martha24 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:57 pm

Miriam C. wrote::lol: Gosh Martha, you are lucky they didn't take your camera. Great pictures!

All these pictures I took are of things anybody could see, so they aren't a problem. We didn't have a digital camera 2 years ago, so the ones we took then are on film.
2 years ago when we got to go on the flight line, they don't want it to be known how many B1s are at the base. And any we could look at up close had all the top secret stuff removed. It was interesting in that Vincent could show us what parts of the plane he works on as an electrician . Not that I understood very much. David understands that sort of thing much better. We actually got to climb up to the cock pit in one, which was very interesting. Not a lot of space for the pilots. :lol:

I wanted to post some pictures of the Air & Space Museum, since anyone can visit & its free. Should anyone visit the Rapid City area & be interested in this sort of thing. They also have a whole building with exhibits. There is also a bus that gives some sort of tour of the base as well. We didn't need to go on that as we had our own personal tour guide. :lol:
Martha ;)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve E » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:08 pm

Thanks for shareing your travels. Sounds like you are having a great visit and trip..........Patty
Steve E
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:29 pm

The B-1 is very similar in design to the older, decommissioned B-58.

The B-52 in your picture looks almost exactly like the ones I used to walk around at Barksdale right down to the black belly.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:52 pm

Met a guy who was a test pilot back in the day. He was testing out the B-58 (or as he called it, the XB-58), Chuck Yeager was flying chase in an F-86. When he started to throttle up, the F-86 couldn't keep up. He got a laugh because Yeager had to tell him to slow down. "Here he is, the fastest man on earth telling me to slow down."

He was a neat old man with lots of interesting stories.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby martha24 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:29 am

Just wanted to let you know we got home yesterday late afternoon safe & sound.
I will have some more pics from the rest of the trip within a couple of days. After being gone 3 weeks I have some catching up to do around here. My daughter didn't do the best job watering & all the plants were in need desperate need of water. So that was one of my jobs today besides paying bills. :roll: :lol:
Martha ;)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Esteban » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:45 am

Martha, Good to read that you're back safe and sound. Get some good rest. :)
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:53 am

Martha, glad to hear you made it home, safe and sound..and tons of thanks for sharing your trip with us "homebounds"...it is truly appreciated...........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:17 pm

:thumbsup: Happy to hear you are safely home! You will never catch up girl. Too much fun around here. :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby martha24 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:35 pm

Miriam C. wrote::thumbsup: Happy to hear you are safely home! You will never catch up girl. Too much fun around here. :lol:

Miriam,
There is no doubt that I'll never get totally caught up, because I never have. :lol: But there are just some things that have to be done. There is no doubt that it is easy to spend time on this forum.
Martha ;)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby martha24 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:36 pm

I managed to go through the last part of my pictures today, so I can finish the last leg of the trip.
On Monday morning on Aug. 13th we left South Dakota after a 2 week visit with our son.
TD in front of our son's rented mobile home.
Even leaving South Dakota toward Wyoming, smoke from forest fires in Wyoming could be seen.

Montana has been having a terrible time with fires as well & especially in the valleys it was very hazy. In some places the mountains on either side couldn't even be seen.
We spent the first night at Three Forks, Montana at a KOA. There were fires burning on both sides about 100 miles away. The sun was totally red both setting & rising.

Montana has many beautiful scenic areas. In the valleys often a river is running along side.
We stopped in Missoula, Montana to get groceries & visited a church built in 1982. Its noted for it's 144 foot steeple, stain-glass & paints inside. It was a beautiful church & I was glad I was able to take a quick visit.

From there the I90 heads north west toward Idaho and soon crosses into Washington through Spokane.
Here is a pretty area heading out of Spokane heading south west.
At Ritzville we headed south on the 395 to Oregon. Just over the Oregon border we stayed at a RV park right next to the Hat Rock State Park.

The next day we headed west along the Columbia River to Biggs.
From there we headed south on the 97. In the distance we could see various mountains.
Mt. Hood
The Three Sisters
Last main city before California is Klamath Falls. Here's a picture going into the city.

We continued on the 97 until it caught up with the I5 at Weed, CA
Mt. Shasta
We spent 2 days in Redding visiting David's sister & family & headed home on Saturday.

I thought this was a fun photo as we headed south in the early morning.

There are more pics in my album of my trip. The trip home took me though areas that I had never been before. It would have been nice to take it a little slower, but 3 weeks away from home was enough time.
Martha ;)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:06 am

Looks like you have a wonderful time, thanks for sharing. Great shadow shot

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:07 am

Beautiful pics! :thumbsup: You can see the haze from the fires that you mention.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Previous

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales