Western Montana - more Lewis & Clark, next weekend!

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Western Montana - more Lewis & Clark, next weekend!

Postby Kankujoe » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:29 pm

My wife & I are amateur history buffs and the past few years we have been researching & traveling parts of the Lewis & Clark trail. We have traveled most of the trail but have a few stretches to fill in. During the past 3 years we have spent about 30-35 days traveling different sections... some more than once.

(What an adventure that must have been for the Corps of Discovery! We wish we could go on an extended trek like that for 2 plus years... especially with all the techno toys & comforts available when "roughing it" in the 21st century...)

We have traveled about 90% of the Missouri River route using various modes of transportation & lodging (cycling, kayaking, keelboat, camping, hiking, motels, etc...). We have also traveled parts of the Columbia River from the Pacific inland. I've done the western MT stretch 3 years ago but my wife did not (now we get to do it together) and neither of us have been up to Glacier.

Next week we will be flying up to Great Falls, MT to explore parts of western Montana and into Idaho.

Not sure if we will be doing motels or SUV/van camping (hopefully camping). It is too far to tow our TTT or to drive since we only have 4-5 days for this trek.

We are also planning to take a northward detour to see Glacier NP. Most of the trip will be Great Falls to Missoula & a little ways into Idaho.

Anyone been through these parts have "Must See" suggestions?
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby martha24 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:50 am

My husband & I just recently drove the I90 through Montana. I'm sure some of the smaller roads would have been more interesting, but parts of it follow the Lewis & Clark trail. If found that quite exciting thinking about what it would have been like when they traveled it.
In Missoula, if you like churches there is a beautiful one built in 1892, St. Francis Xavier. Reading though the Auto Club book some of the cities we were going though I hit upon it. I didn't have much time for a visit, but was very glad that I got a chance to see it.
Martha ;)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mike C. » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:54 am

Kankujoe,

Can't help you with info on the area you are going, but just wanted to say that my wife and I have always wanted to do what you and your wife are doing. I am the amateur history buff, 1790 to 1850, and my wife has an interest, but mostly just likes to travel. I guess what I am saying is that I am envious, but I will probably have to wait until I retire to get to do it. Anyway, have fun and take pictures and post them, then I can feel like I went too. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby edlfrey » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:38 am

I drove most of the Lewis & Clark Trail this past summer with Teardrop in tow. Went from Great Falls to Missula on 6/24 with only a couple brief stops. There are a lot of places to stop but I would suggest you look at this link http://www.campingmontana.com/Dillon.asp for some of them. I would also suggest you go off route somewhat and visit Enis, MT if time permits - a great old town that has been re-born as a fly fishing center on the Madison.

Have a great time!
edlfrey
Teardrop Master

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales