North to Alaska!

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

North to Alaska!

Postby SteveH » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:08 am

Our son is being transfered to Alaska (He's in the US Air Force), so we are planning to go to visit, maybe next summer. We have decided to drive and camp, the AlCan highway. We will probably take a larger camper than the teardrop because we plan to be gone for a month or so.

I remember a thread where someone made the trip camping with a teardrop, must have been a couple of years ago, but I can't find it and I've done "the search".

All input about "must see", "must do", and "be carefull of this", will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Nobody » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:25 am

You may be thinking of the Camp Inn trip made by Dave & June Wentworth a few years ago. It's on the Camp Inn website, or just go here http://tinycamper.com/alaska1.htm & follow along. Oh, BTW wife & I are planning to drive the Alaska Highway again (went in '93) next year. We'll take the TD. We learned on our 3-week trip 'out west' this year that we can get along pretty well with lots less than we'd thought when traveling in our larger campers :thumbsup: Oh yeah, you'll want "The Milepost" book to travel the hiway. 'Mile by mile' description of the Alaska Highway, how to connect up, camping, sightseeing, etc. Invaluable asset for planning & the actual trip. Order one now (or when the next issue comes out) & you'll have it 'well worn' before your trip. Have fun!
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:15 am

Having done several month long trips in my teardrop, the only big problem I found was if I was staying in one spot for several days and it rained.

While traveling rain wasn't much of a bother, but when sitting still, if it rained, it was read inside, or go shopping or some place where I wouldn't get wet.

I tend only to cook on site when I have good weather... kind of depends what your plans are. I've also found cooking while traveling, except supper/dinner, slows me down, so breakfast is at a diner and lunch is a Subway sandwich.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby asianflava » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:31 pm

Hey Steve, you should plan your trip so that you can stop at IRG on the way. We're planning on going again. The only caveat the wife had was that we had to take a different route.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Nobody » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:12 pm

asianflava wrote:Hey Steve, you should plan your trip so that you can stop at IRG on the way. We're planning on going again. The only caveat the wife had was that we had to take a different route.

Yeah Rocky, we're planning to do that too tho we'll probably hit the IRG after the Alaska trip. Last time we went we left home at the end of June & arrived in Alaska in mid July. Not the best time of year to see the stuff we wanted to see (wildlife, fishing, etc.), & the tourists at Denali were unbelievable :shock: . There were RV's lined up on both sides of the highway for several miles either side of the park entrance, waiting for an empty campsite or just for the park shuttle. You can't drive into the park anymore 'cept to go to a campsite. From talking to locals, & my own experience while on TDY trips for the USAF before I retired, the best time is late spring/early summer (mid-May thru June) for viewing wildlife, etc. May be a little cooler but shouldn't be bad cold & that time usually beats the 'skeeters' :roll: . Figure if we leave mid-may we should be getting back to NorCal just in time for the IRG :thinking: . Nuthin's set in stone yet but that's the current plan 8)
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SteveH » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:51 pm

Harvey,

That link is the one I was looking for. Thanks.

Now, does anyone have any more first hand experience with traveling/camping the AlCan Highway?

Rocky,

I wanted to go to the ICG this year, but it just did not work out. We are wanting to go to Alaska this coming summer, and as I understand, the ICG won't happen again until the summer after.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

New project trailer for AK trip

Postby SteveH » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:40 am

Here's a picture of the '75 23' Airstream I bought early this week in Tucson. The picture was taken on the way back. It's going to be a project fixing it up on the inside, and it has some issues on the outside as well. The only good news is, I have plenty of time before next summer and the Alaska trip to get it done.

One other thing....there goes my idea of downsizing my truck. If anything, I need to upsize now as the 4.7 liter Dodge was not happy at all pulling it up the grades. :?
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gerald_G » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:10 pm

I've personally counted more miles on the Alaska Highway than the circumference of the earth. Mostly as far as Dawson City, or Beaverlodge Yukon. It's been a few years since I went and things have probably changed, but if you have any specific questions about the Canadian sections, please ask them, I may be able to help.

Some of my ToDo's:

Liard Hot Springs - Camp/Swim
S.S. Klondike river boat tour in Whitehorse.
Slide show of the Kluane International Park in Haines Junction, Yukon.
Congdon creek campground, and hike near sheep mountain.
Side trips to Skagway or Haines Alaska - cool places to see.
Gerald_G
Teardrop Master

Check out the black flies

Postby Guy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:58 pm

Dear Steve,

You might want to check with Juneaudave when the black fly season is. If it is when you plan on going they can really ruin a trip outdoors. Also check if there is going to be an Alaskan gathering. Might be fun to work around.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sledge » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:26 am

Sure looks good..............any idea what the Air Stream weighs :thinking:
sledge
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:06 pm

any idea what the Air Stream weighs

I found the brocure from '75 in with all the rest of the papers and it's supposed to weigh around 3,550, with a tongue weight of 550. Not too heavy for a 23', but certainly no teardrop. :lol:
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales