Arkansas & Oklahoma for Thanksgiving

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Arkansas & Oklahoma for Thanksgiving

Postby Kankujoe » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:31 am

Got back late this afternoon from our TTT camping trip to Devil's Den SP in Arkansas. Nice state park (most Arkansas SP's are pretty nice).

Also visited Mount Magazine SP & Queen Wilhemina SP (both in Arkansas) and Heavener Runestone SP (Oklahoma). We also drove the Talimena Scenic Biway (54 mile mountain top drive, similar to the Blue Ridge Parkway).

Impressions:

Devil's Den SP - nice campground with great scenery and beautiful hiking trails.

Mount Magazine SP - ultra modern big timber mountain lodge/hotel (4-5 star), restaurant, sports bar/lounge, with great scenery, highest peak in AR, you can see for miles & miles..., hugh atrium, big stone fireplace, high dollar camping hookups (booked solid most of the time). Nice visitor center, gift shops & nature museum.

Queen Wilhemina SP - classic/rustic mountain top hotel/lodge, nice atrium, big stone fireplace, restaurant, camping - not many sites (booked solid). Gift shop, nice grounds around the lodge, RV lot adjacent to hotel/lodge, nothing special... this SP is located in the middle of the Talimena Scenic Biway (mountain top) Arkansas side.

Heavener Runestone SP (Oklahoma) - park built around a hugh "Runestone" carved by the Vikings between 600AD & 900AD... (verified by researchers on both sides of the Atlantic & the Smithsonian)... visitor's center/gift shop, stone walkways to & from the pavilion that houses the Runestone (located down in a hugh stone ravine & overhanging cliffs), nice hiking trails, nature trail. Not too far NE of the beginning/end of the Talimena Scenic Biway (Oklahoma side).

Talimena Scenic Biway - great mountain top scenery (most of the drive you are on the crest of the moutains and great views of both sides). Many scenic overlooks (interpretive sites) - I think 22 major scenic stops (a few with restrooms - rustic) along the 54 mile drive. Numerous hiking trails, Nature trails, no towns or civilization along the whole trail (except for Queen Wilhemina SP on the Arkansas side about 20 miles in. US Forest Service visitors center at the Oklahoma end (open weekends) and a mile or so from the Arkansas end (closed weekends).

We had a good 4 days camping, hiking, scenic driving. It was a little nippy all 3 nights (25/32/34 degrees at night). Rained last night and through our noon departure. First winter camping experience for the Mrs. (she did fine once we made it through the 1st night). Use our propane heater for about 30 minutes each night to break the chill.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby madjack » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:54 am

K=Joe...those are some fine places and rank among my favorites...Mt Magazine is all new and pricey. The Queen is tops with me, the camp ground is not much but the lodge is great and has a fantastic restaurant and Talimena Drive is a "must do" for anyone passing thru the area..never been to the RuneStone but have meant too(one day soon)...glad y'all hadda great trip........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby ARKPAT » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:45 am

Looks like you had a great travel. You gave a great review of the camp grounds. That is what about I would say on each.
:thumbsup:
I have picnic at Runstone several times ( it must me the indian in me for me to like high places ). I like the view from Mt. Magazine and Petit Jean of the valleys below them. Mt Magazine is only a 30 minuite drive for me the others are over an hour away. There are several other places around the area for a few campers at a time. I will have to make them this Spring with the small weekender I have make from scrap I had on hand from the larger trailer ( still building - designing as I build it ) . :thinking:

:thinking:

Senic Ark. Hwy 23 and Senic Ark Hwy 21 come to mind.
:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales