New year camp trip

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

New year camp trip

Postby crankshaft » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:33 pm

It had been several months since my last camping trip so I decided to make one to Lake Morena just East of San Diego. In spite of the cold 20 degree over nite temps and 60 mile gust winds,and a red flag on our last day there( Camp fires not allowed because of the winds) we had a great time.

Then, on the first of Jan. we started home. Five miles from the camp ground, a truck driver behind me started to blow his horn signaling me to pull over. My trailer blew a wheel bearing and was about to start a fire from the heat generated from the friction heat.

Driving ar five miles an hour, I managed to stagger into the Buckman Springs rest stop . I pulled the wheel off the trailer and started to pull the axel hub to remove what was left of the bearing. The bearing race had welded itself to the axel and I had to use a hammer to get it off.

No parts houses anywhere near Buckman Springs . I had to leave my trailer there and drive into San Diego to a Kragen parts house to buy a replacement. When I checked the box they came in There was no bearing race supplied.

I returned it and kept looking for another open parts store. NAPA Auto parts was just starting to close early when I pulled into the parking lot. I pleaded with the manager. It turned out he was a camper also. He searched his catalogs and found the proper bearing ,with the supplied race. He even took the old race out of the hub and pressed in the new one. No extra charge.

Then I took the long drive back to Buckman Springs and found two suspicious looking , south of the border types lounging exremley close to my disabled trailer. I may have arrived back there just in time.

I gave them a dirty look and using the headlights from my truck , I managed to repair the bearing and got on my way.

Just a suggestion. But I sure am going to make sure my wheel bearings are properly lubed . It had been two years since my last inspection. Good thing I was close to home. Too bad it was a holiday . Good thing I was able to find the only parts house that had my bearing in stock, with the race..

It was still a good camping experience.

Chinese proverb or curse " May you live in interesting times." I sure do.

Crankshaft
crankshaft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:54 pm

:o :thumbsup: Good thing the two guys weren't looking for trouble. Thanks for the warning. Now how about some pictures :twisted: :R :thumbsup: Gotta get everyone to remember their cameras. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby brettweir » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:49 pm

might be a good time to pick up a spare bearing and race. toss it in the camper and never have to worry about losing another. (If you have a spare these will live forever)
brettweir
Teardrop Advisor

Postby crankshaft » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:35 pm

Already done

Thanks

Crankshaft.
crankshaft
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales