Sleepin Around New Zealand: First Trip and More!

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Re: Sleepin Around New Zealand: First Trip and More!

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:03 am

Fabulous! Way to have a good time. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:18 pm

Thanks for sharing more of your country! :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:40 pm

KCStudly wrote:Fabulous! Way to have a good time. :thumbsup:

We love our cars, and enjoy our car club. It is more of a social club with the cars being the common factor. Smallish club of around 70 members (couples), with a very wide variety of vehicles. 8)
pchast wrote:Thanks for sharing more of your country! :D

I am still catching up. More to come. :?
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:20 pm

:o Kaihu Top 10 Holiday Park
Nov 1st-3rd 2013.
It was the weekend after labour weekend 2013. With labour weekend being the first long weekend for the approaching summer, it is a good weekend to stay off the roads. This also meant that by going away the following weekend the camp at Kaihu was mostly empty.
The far mountain range is Tutumoe, as seen from our lounge window. Kaihu is just a wee way the other side of that. Not very far in a straight line, but we have to travel in a big loop to get there.
This is the other side of Tutumoe, heading up the west coast road.
We arrived at the camp just as the rain started, so we sat in the car and waited for it to stop so we could set up camp.
With the gazebo sitting a bit too far back the rain was running down the hatch and through the gap between the hinges.
Fortunately the little shelf that I had incorporated in the design (across the top of the galley) specifically for the purpose of catching any water that should come through, was working well, and the water was dribbling down the channels at the sides and keeping the dogs bowl topped up.
That evening we drove down to the old Kaihu Pub for dinner. The old building had obviously been slowly settling in to the ground over the years and none of the walls were straight. We had a really nice meal there, "good pub tucker". :beer:
Saturday morning we went for a drive down to Baylys Beach and took the dogs for a good long walk. Like most of the west coast this beach extends for many miles wide and flat when the tide is low.
Henry was really enjoying it and had to tell us all about it, howling like only Henry can.
We then went up to the village for lunch, kumera wedges with sour cream and plum sauce, yum :R
Back at the camp everything had dried out from the rain through the night, so we wandered off for a look around the rest of the camp. The area where the camp is, is almost an island with the river flowing around in a big circle to almost meet up with its self.
Apart from the main amenities block is this outdoor kitchen.
Looking down over the non powered camp sites. Across the other side two streams join.
More camp sites around here as well, but this area can be well under water in storms.
Swimming hole, but a bit cold this weekend for me,
but I had a few rides on the flying fox.
Ruby and Henry were enjoying their camping holiday. Not many camps in NZ allow dogs, so it is not often that we can take them with us. They have to be on leads all the time and are banned from most of the bush areas around here because of the kiwi.
Saturday night dinner, sausages on the BBQ.
Sunday, heading home we stopped outside the Kaihu Pub for a photo. :pictures:
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:17 pm

What a lovely campground. Great scenery shots, too. Keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:34 pm

KCStudly wrote:What a lovely campground. Great scenery shots, too. Keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:

This would be one of the nicest Top 10 Holiday Parks we have stayed at.
At present I am sitting in the shade of the gazebo at the Hihi motor camp in Doubtless Bay. We came up yesterday and are going to a car show tomorrow at Taipa. Home on sunday.
Last edited by Sheddie on Tue May 02, 2017 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 41south » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi Frank

Nice to see you folks are still having fun and lots of interesting travels in the TD :thumbsup: I'm just back from camping at Tolaga Bay for a couple of weeks, I was hoping I'd find at least one TD on the way up or back from Welly - buy alas nothing. The trip away has fired me up to get back into this project which unfortunately stalled with a house move after I first made contact with you (excuses excuses ! :roll: ) . I've just re-read your build thread and this one so it's time to start planning in earnest and get this done over the winter for next Xmas.

Keep up the great travel doco work :pictures:

Cheers
Colin
41south
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sheddie » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi Colin,
Great to receive a reply from you. I had been wondering how your plans were progressing.
We have a few more trips coming up, Waitangi Weekend we are going to Hahei with the Capri Club to attend the Leadfoot Festival. (Hill climb up Rod Millens drive way).
November we will be down your way, we won tickets to Elton John concert on the radio and decided it would be a good excuse for a road trip with the TD.
Let us know what stage you are at with your TD.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Hamilton Car Museum 1st Anniversary and Car Show. Sunday 1st Dec 2013
Part way through the week we made another one of those last minute decisions, lets go to the car show in Hamilton on Sunday. This is one of the things about the TD, it is so easy to decide, lets go away, and just go. We headed off to Auckland Friday after work, spent the night with the in laws, dropped the grand dogs with them, then Saturday morning continued through to Hamilton. We booked in to the camp then went out to catch up with a few cousins.
The next morning we were off early, to head over to the car show, and meet up with the Capri club members for breakfast.
We got to the gate and asked where the Capris were parked. "Dun-O, drive along to the next guy he'll tell you where they are". Next Guy said, "I think we'll stick you over there with that other caravan".
It wasn't a bad spot parked next to a 1950s caravan, hooked on the back of a very nice MK1 Ford Zodiac. They were sitting there with all their memorabilia around them depicting a campsite of years gone by.
We found the rest of the Capri members and headed off to the Diner for breakfast. Wow! what a feast, bacon, eggs, beans, sausages, hash browns, the works. We sure weren't going to need lunch.
Outside the Diner/Museum, was this piece of Rustic (rusty) art. Looking back at it now, I think "Fozzie Bear"! :shock: Just don't let Brian (Vedette) see it. :twisted: Speaking of whom.
Kermits long lost brother was there. :thinking:
We got back to our site to find we had been surrounded by The Dubbies,
including this gorgeous camper 8)
The Rock "N" Roll club were on the stage entertaining the crowd with all the moves to some good old rock 'n' roll music. :thumbsup:
We were again surrounded by people who were awe struck wanting to know all about things Tear Drop.
We managed to get away to go and have a look around the show and museum. This is some of what we saw. :pictures:
NO car show is complete without a "57 chevy :thumbsup:
There were hot rods and pickups :FNP
A lady pushing around this cute little "Tear Drop" antique baby carriage :)
This was a beautiful varnished clinker boat :applause:
This Riley One Point Five took the prize for best British :applause:
Hard to believe that this was the for-runner to the Mercedes G Wagon :roll:
This Auto Union was best European :applause:
I was also most surprised when my Capri was awarded Best Original Classic :shock:

Inside the museum was an amazing display of cars and memorabilia, well worth the look.
Mid afternoon it was time to head away for the 300km drive home.
Another fabulous weekend in our Tear Drop.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:50 pm

Love it. Congrats on the award.

Do you have any more info on the bike with the wooden box built under? I wonder if that was a very early battery powered.

I keep expecting you to say that you are all caught up, but the great post dated trips just keep coming! Keep 'em coming. :thumbsup: :applause:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:40 pm

KCStudly wrote:Love it. Congrats on the award.

Do you have any more info on the bike with the wooden box built under? I wonder if that was a very early battery powered.

I keep expecting you to say that you are all caught up, but the great post dated trips just keep coming! Keep 'em coming. :thumbsup: :applause:

Hi KC
The bike with the wooden box under is a Roper Steam Motorcycle. :roll: Imagine having that between your legs. :shock:
I googled it a while ago and found this clip on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t93QlgBu4Is
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:22 pm

Awesome! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing that.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby felixx » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:49 am

I have to admit the thought of just hooking up the teardrop (already stocked) and going is one of the things I cannot wait to do!
felixx
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:42 pm

felixx wrote:I have to admit the thought of just hooking up the teardrop (already stocked) and going is one of the things I cannot wait to do!

It's not quite that simple, there is always a bit of stuff to load up. My wife has made up a check list, so that hopefully we don't forget anything. But it is so much more pleasant to tow. Our old caravan wasn't big, but it was 8ft wide with a big flat front, and you were always concentrating on were it was and who was around you. The TD tucks in neatly behind and makes for a far more pleasant journey.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Sleepin Around New Zealand: First Trip & Continuing Trav

Postby Sheddie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:18 am

Ford Capri Club Summer Camp, Waihi.
Waitangi Weekend 6-9 February 2014

I had finally gotten around to making and fitting a tow bar to the red Capri. :) This one is a 2.8 injected V6, so should pull the TD with ease. :vroom:

Waitangi Day (6th) was on Thursday, so we had made it into 4 day weekend. The Capri Car Club NZ were holding their 10th annual Summer Camp at Waihi.
As usual we headed of as far as Auckland (161km) the night before to stop over with Dales folks for the night and leave the grand dogs with them for the weekend.
Thursday morning we travelled through to Waihi Beach (171kms away) to meet up with everyone else at the RSA for lunch. We were one of the first to arrive and from the car park on the hill, were able to watch for the cars as they drove into town. After a leisurely lunch we went for a look around Waihi Beach as we had a bit of time to kill, we couldn't get in to the camp until later in the afternoon. The place we were staying is a youth camp situated out in the hills south of Waihi called Waitawheta. Most of the group were staying in the bunk room style accommodation, first in best bed, while we were parked on the lawn with a couple of small motorhomes.
By the time we got set up it was beer o'clock, :beer: and the kids (not ours) had all headed for the flying fox.
With 21 & 1/2 Capris parked around the lawn it made for quite a good display.
William had bought the "Car-B-Que" along,
and once the wheels were securely chocked :thumbsup:
the sausages went on to cook. :Flippin Burger:
This pair couldn't resist the chance of a cuddle in the back seat of a Capri, as it had been a long time since.... :wink:
Truth is, it has probably been a long time since they could even get into the back seat of a Capri.

The next morning was overcast as we headed, in convoy, in to Waihi and up the hill to have a look at the Martha Mine.
We parked the cars in front of the old mine Pump House, just as the rain was starting. :rainy:
The Cornish Pumphouse http://www.waihigold.co.nz/history/the-cornish-pumphouse/
For more on the mine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Mine
Just as the presidents car was climbing the hill into the car park, "bang" the clutch cable broke. :oops: :cry:
We pushed the car into line for the photos, then there were big discussions on how we could fix it. :thinking: :hammer:
One thing about one make car clubs, often the parts are to hand, and sure enough one of the members had one in his boot (trunk). :thumbsup: We pushed it back out of the car park, and they drove off into town to find somewhere dry to change it.
The rest of us walked into town for coffee or ice creams, and for quite a few to buy rain coats.
It wasn't a nice day to try and get photos of the mine.
From Waihi we drove out to the Athenree Gorge and visited the mining museum and went for a tour of the site where they used to cook the ore in big brick lined fire pits. We went through the tunnel that goes under the fire pits, it is amazing that people once worked in there.
The afternoon plan was to go walking the trails in the gorge, but some of us decided we had seen enough rain so headed for Pairoa to look at a collection in a big shed where it would be dry. As soon as we left the hills around Waihi we drove out of the rain into a nice sunny day.
This collection was made up of old historic stock cars, farm machinery and other interesting junk, although I probably found it as interesting looking around the rusting old cars out in the back yard.
On the way back to the camp we stopped in Paeroa for a look around the shops.
Image 128152
Paeroa made its name for the world famous (in New Zealand) Lemon & Paeroa soft drink, and is now known for its antique shops. Dale found herself a cute salt & pepper set, not antique, but cute. When we got back to the camp it was still drizzling in the hills.

Saturday everyone lined up with their cars for a group photo, but then the rain came down again so we left. As before, as soon as we drove out of the hills we left the rain behind and entered another sunny day. It seemed that it was only raining in Waihi and the surrounding hills. We headed up the eastern side of the Coromandel Peninsular to our first stop at Hot Water Beach, where you can dig a hole in the sand and sit in terminally heated pools.
Next was lunch at the Coroglen Tavern, and a photo shoot.
The afternoon took us through Whitianga, and a small collection of cars,
then over the mountain range to the western side of the peninsula for a regroup at Coromandel township. One car arrived there with half the exhaust from one side of the car in his boot, and another with smoke billowing from under the bonnet where a gasket was leaking oil on to the exhaust. With some wire to tie up the exhaust, and a top up of the oil, we were soon back on the road cruising our way along the very picturesque drive on the twisty coast line road perched just above the water. This took us through to Thames then back to Waihi. Sorry for the lack of photos on this part of the trip, a bit slack I guess. (We are back that way in a couple of weeks, so will try to rectify that.)

Sunday, after a well organised and thoroughly enjoyable weekend it was time to head for home.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales