Pictures! Weekender for 5, Lake Powhatan/Asheville, NC

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Pictures! Weekender for 5, Lake Powhatan/Asheville, NC

Postby Alfred » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:09 pm

Hi Gang,

Been awhile since I posted. The Son and I took the camper out this weekend, up to Lake Powhatan near Asheville, NC. Only 20 minutes from home for us, but nice to be out in the Autumn foliage and nice to have the camper. I wanted to go to Davidson River Campground initially, which has waterfalls nearby, but they were full and had a line at the gate waiting for walk-up sites (they were letting one in, whenever one left). But, we got a nice walk-up site at Lake Powhatan, which is actually closer to home, anyway. The kids are growing up now, no longer use the camper for all 5 of us. I've removed the bunk bed, so now it is a large comfortable cabin for two. Being able to easily slide the bunk in-and-out has made it easy to adapt the camper to our changing needs.

The camper still gets a lot of attention, gave several "tours" this weekend. One fellow, has a vintage Casita/Fiberglass camper went on-and-on how he wished he had a smaller camper like ours, he said the plumbing/tanks on the Casita are a pain to manage, it's always needing work, and he has to pay to store it, because it won't fit in his garage. Met a nice, young couple from Charlotte, NC are who took several pictures of it, they really liked it. He asked, you're able to tow it with a 4-Cyl engine? But must've had total 6-8 different folks come-up to look at it. Staff at the campground gate asked my Wife, who stopped by for picnic, "You with the folks that little white camper?"

Getting gas, putting air in the tires, gave two tours in the gas station parking lot!

Lake Powhatan Campground.

Me and the camper.

My Son, the Mets fan, in the camper.

My Son, walking along the campground road.

Settling in for the night.

Lake Powhatan Campground

Blue Ridge Parkway Overlook.

So, it was a great Father/Son outing. Beautiful Autumn here in the Blue RIdge Mountains of Asheville, NC.

Next project, I have to replace the convertor, as the cheap one I put in there originally got fried-out awhile back. I bought a nicer, used one to replace it. I'm also thinking of putting cabinets in, atop the runners that previously held the bunk. I could make these so that they slide in and out, too. Sometimes I get the itch, think I might try to build a simpler 4x8, either a teardrop or vardo type design, but for now, will continue to enjoy this one.

Cheers!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Re: Pictures! Weekender for 5, Lake Powhatan/Asheville, NC

Postby KCStudly » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:47 pm

Great location and some nice pics to prove it! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing and glad you had a good time.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Alfred » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:13 am

KCStudly wrote:Great location and some nice pics to prove it! :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing and glad you had a good time.

Thanks, KC!

...And and thanks for responding! It was a great time, and an affirmation of building the camper to begin with, which at times had seemed like a crazy endeavor!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby 3GKnight » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:29 am

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing.
3GKnight
Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales