Need some help

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Need some help

Postby Mayberryman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14 am

Yesterday I went to a local flea market and found a griswold skillet that was either 7 or 8 inches (did not have time to measure). The bottom was flat and it had the griswold in a kind of block lettering, it also needed cleaning, the man wanted $12 for the skillet, however, I believe getting him to $10 would require nothing more than showing the money. The only Griswold pans that I have at this time are two fairly large chicken fryers, one with a lid.

Any help on this will be very appreciated.

Note, their is no fire ring on this pan.
Mayberryman
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Need some help

Postby ironhead » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:39 am

Mayberryman wrote:Yesterday I went to a local flea market and found a griswold skillet that was either 7 or 8 inches (did not have time to measure). The bottom was flat and it had the griswold in a kind of block lettering, it also needed cleaning, the man wanted $12 for the skillet, however, I believe getting him to $10 would require nothing more than showing the money. The only Griswold pans that I have at this time are two fairly large chicken fryers, one with a lid.

Any help on this will be very appreciated.

Note, their is no fire ring on this pan.
I would pay $12 in a heartbeat for a block logo Griz that pan is easily worth $20 to $30
ironhead
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dale M. » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:48 am

Griswold is always good purchase as long as its not damaged and price is reasonable... Most of my collection is Griswold or Wagner Ware... I also have a couple of pieces with double logos of Griswold & Wagner Ware on them......

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:29 pm

Show him the money!......yea I would get it.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

GW

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:35 pm

8) Sounds like a real decent price to me....go for it!
Joanie
TDN

Check out the recipe for Joe's Special (cooked in a CI skillet)

Click on the cast iron pot below to see our cooking channel.
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Steve Stephens » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:37 am

When looking at Griswold skillets make note that they are marked usually on the handle and/or the underside with a trade number that has nothing to do with "inches". if you see a Griswold item that says "inches" on it it's probably one made in the Wagner foundry in later years and not what many collectors consider to be real Griswold. The size numbers on Griswold pieces related more to the size of the stove and stove eye that the piece would be used on while other items' sizes were only relative and almost never relating to actual inch size.

After c.1960 and with very few companies before that many pieces were marked in "inches" and continue to be so marked today. But not old Griswold, Wagner, Favorite, Lodge, etc. Those numbers are just trade numbers that you have to learn from experience.
Steve Stephens
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cast Iron