Oh oh!

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby Betsey » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:54 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:So Paul... Is Lefse a type of bread???


Uffda! Ishda! Feeda! Say it ain't so! A Norwegian who doesn't know what lefse is??? :shock:

When I married Craig, I was adopted into the Norwegian culture, hook, line and lutefisk! Yes, I eat lutefisk at Christmas (now that's true love!). Craig's brother prepare's it and, if done properly, is flaky, not gelatinous. But that doesn't stop the lutefisk jokes from flying!

As for the lefse, we have all we want as Craig's dad is the lefse king. His business is Mrs. Olson's Lefse. http://www.mrsolsonslefse.com/ It is one of the largest lefse bakeries in the U.S. (and as funny as that may sound, you would be amazed at how many thousands of cases they ship - they even supply lefse for the Norwegian Pavillion at Disney World). Lefse spread with butter and sprinkled with sugar or cinammon sugar, rolled up and warmed is wonderful! But we use it for wraps, appetizers (cream cheese, ham, pickles rolled up and sliced), heck, even use it in place of a hot dog bun!

Now I'm getting hungry.... :lol:

Betsey :)
Image

Co-Director
User avatar
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1051
Images: 35
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:44 pm
Location: West Central Wisconsin

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:17 pm

Betsey wrote:Uffda! Ishda! Feeda!

Betsey
My grandmother used to say that to me...
I always thought it meant, "You're such a nice boy!", but I guess not, eh? :thinking:
Spank me... I deserve it. :lol:
Yeap... It's terrible, I don't know any of the language, well... except a few of the foods I didn't care for and a few short quips of praise from "Big Gram"...
You know... I haven't had lutefisk since I was a kid...
Maybe my tastes have matured just a bit?... :thinking:
Oh... I have had lefse as you described it and it was deliciuos!!!
I wonder why I only remember the names of the food I didn't like??? :thinking:
I'd love to be taught the language and yes... I'd even try lutefisk again. :thumbsup:
Image Image Image
User avatar
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler
 
Posts: 4993
Images: 69
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 8:44 pm

Postby Betsey » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:15 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:
Betsey wrote:Uffda! Ishda! Feeda!


My grandmother used to say that to me...
I always thought it meant, "You're such a nice boy!", but I guess not, eh? :thinking:


Well, the way Craig explained it to me:

Uffda - When you have to take the trash out.
Ishda - When you drop the trash bag and it breaks scattering trash all over.
Feeda - When you have to pick up the mess. :lol:

Now, I'm not saying your grandmother was thinking of the trash thing when she said it to you....most likely an expression of exasperation. :lol:

Betsey :)
Last edited by Betsey on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Co-Director
User avatar
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1051
Images: 35
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:44 pm
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Top

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Betsey,
That makes perfect sense...
I've always been a good little mess maker. :yes:
Image Image Image
User avatar
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler
 
Posts: 4993
Images: 69
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 8:44 pm
Top

More odd food traditions

Postby daveleb55 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:51 pm

Sounds like Norwegian tortillas...

My fambly is originally from Nova Scotia, and our potato dish is called Rappie Pie, which is grated potatoes with the water squeezed out, the remainder is poured into a casserole type dish and baked with a couple pieces of fat back (the melting fat makes the top crispy). It's served with salt and pickles, OR, with molasses. My dad makes it for christmas every year. You can mix in turkey, chicken or clams to give the bland concoction a little flavor.

Dave


Betsey wrote:
Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:So Paul... Is Lefse a type of bread???


Uffda! Ishda! Feeda! Say it ain't so! A Norwegian who doesn't know what lefse is??? :shock:

When I married Craig, I was adopted into the Norwegian culture, hook, line and lutefisk! Yes, I eat lutefisk at Christmas (now that's true love!). Craig's brother prepare's it and, if done properly, is flaky, not gelatinous. But that doesn't stop the lutefisk jokes from flying!

As for the lefse, we have all we want as Craig's dad is the lefse king. His business is Mrs. Olson's Lefse. http://www.mrsolsonslefse.com/ It is one of the largest lefse bakeries in the U.S. (and as funny as that may sound, you would be amazed at how many thousands of cases they ship - they even supply lefse for the Norwegian Pavillion at Disney World). Lefse spread with butter and sprinkled with sugar or cinammon sugar, rolled up and warmed is wonderful! But we use it for wraps, appetizers (cream cheese, ham, pickles rolled up and sliced), heck, even use it in place of a hot dog bun!

Now I'm getting hungry.... :lol:

Betsey :)
"Get off the #@$% computer and GO CAMPING!"
User avatar
daveleb55
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 242
Images: 203
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:52 pm
Location: LAS VEGAS, NV
Top

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:22 pm

OK... What gives???
I out smarted that little red diamond, clicked on it... but got no answer. :thinking:
Image Image Image
User avatar
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler
 
Posts: 4993
Images: 69
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 8:44 pm
Top

Postby Betsey » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:39 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:OK... What gives???
I out smarted that little red diamond, clicked on it... but got no answer. :thinking:


:thinking: Hmmm...You actually caught it? Wow! You must be quick! Either that or it was broke and didn't work properly.... :lol: Hmmm...maybe I'll mention it to Craig. This is a first...He will be amazed! He's the one who designed the webpage.

I've known that little red diamond to keep people (Norwegians included) busy for hours! :lol:

It kept you busy for a awhile, though, didn't it? :applause:

Betsey :)
Image

Co-Director
User avatar
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1051
Images: 35
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:44 pm
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Top

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:15 pm

Oh... Kaplaminutz.
I figured out how close I could get without spookig it and I knew where its next move was gonna be, so I timed my move and the click as it was moving and the click did happen while the cursor was on top of it...
It wasn't easy, but I did manage to click on it and hellno, it didn't stay put. :lol:
Image Image Image
User avatar
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler
 
Posts: 4993
Images: 69
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 8:44 pm
Top

Postby pgwilli » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:52 pm

I'm still working on it Dean...
I'll let you know what it says here pretty soon.
Nooorrrrmmmmaa!!!!
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
User avatar
pgwilli
Lifetime member
 
Posts: 461
Images: 75
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:08 am
Location: Marysville, WA
Top

Previous

Return to Cast Iron

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest