New Iron - Is it any Good?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby Joanne » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:16 pm

Doug, good for you! I haven't ventured to "real coals" yet, partially because of lack of time and partially because we only have pine around here. I don't want all the pitch that pine puts on an oven. I have considered buying a couple bags of mesquite charcoal and practice with that. I hear that it's an art to be good with real coals. I believe that the chuckwagon cookoffs only allow real coals. It makes their breads all the more impressive.

Joanne

doug hodder wrote:
Actually Joanne...I'm working on not using charcoal or gas, just coals in the campfire for DO cooking...but I gotta learn first, without wasting a lot of eats. Mt. man breakfast with fire coals is really easy...baking, I find is more difficult to control with fire coals. My excuse..."it's not burned...just carmelized" and anyone can whup me at waffles...I borrowed Kevins iron that Dean seasoned and Joanie made the batter...they just made me look good!!!! Doug
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:24 pm

bledsoe3 wrote: Dennis, sorry about the dentist thing. But I want to know what the new owner thinks of the teardrop.
Sorry about the hijack Bruce.

She sort of loves it right now. She loved it more before she hooked to the wrong kind of generator and blew up the inverter. But she has another one on order and will be hauling it to Burning Man. Her plans to have it painted have not jelled so it will be basic white for this trip.

Anyone should be able to spot her at Burning Man, the hair is still that red. :lol:
I don't believe she does Dutch Ovens.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:26 pm

Hi Steve!

I've only had one opportunity to try one of these waffle makers. Steve Tripp bought one and we played with it. We came to the conclusion that you needed quite a few coals inside the ring to get the heat high enough but you also need to set the maker on a trivit or somehting to allow air flow to the coals. Just putting coals under the maker will cause them to go out from lack of oxygen.

Cooking on a stove makes more sense, but no one has accused me of having a lot of that! :?

Joanne

Steve Frederick wrote:
Joanne wrote:
doug hodder wrote:Bruce...I just bought one before Mendocino off E-bay out of Denver...glad you weren't looking then!!!! :lol: Have fun with it...I really think a waffle cook off at IRG 2.0 is in order...Cook Shack early AM....has a gas stove! Doug

Just say no to gas!!! It's got to be a charcoal event or it's not a real cast iron cookoff. :lol:

Joanne

How would a charcoal set-up work? Coals in that ring?? I've only used my camp stove..
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:04 pm

dupe Gone
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Previous