Waffle Iron (pictures added)

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Waffle Iron (pictures added)

Postby rainjer » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:50 pm

I received my Wagner Sidney 8 Waffle Iron today!!!

What is the best way to season it up with the wood handles?

I will post pic later. My camera battery is dead.

This one is from the Ebay listing.

My pictures.

Jeremy
Last edited by rainjer on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:23 pm

Jeremy,
Every Wagner #8 I've seasoned has wood handles that unscrew.
They can be a bearcat to get started, but you should be able to unscrew them and there will be what looks like the end of a wood screw sticking out of the end of the cast iron.
Seasoning the irons with the wood handles attached to the iron will ruin the finish on the wood handles, so take 'em off.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby rainjer » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:30 pm

I does not look like there is any finish left on the handle. The look like they are oiled. These handles are not round. They are flat on one side.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:39 pm

OK...
Don't head my advise just yet...
Get some pictures posted, I would like to see a better shot of the handles.

Just curious... Are they like really flat where the two handles come together and kinda blackish looking or a bit reddish looking and more roundish with just maybe a hint of flatness where the two handles touch???
Also, is there a nicklel plated band at the end of the handles where they meet the cast iron???
Any series of grooves turned in them from a lathe???
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby rainjer » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:14 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:OK...
Don't head my advise just yet...
Get some pictures posted, I would like to see a better shot of the handles.

Just curious... Are they like really flat where the two handles come together and kinda blackish looking or a bit reddish looking and more roundish with just maybe a hint of flatness where the two handles touch???
Also, is there a nicklel plated band at the end of the handles where they meet the cast iron???
Any series of grooves turned in them from a lathe???

Yes they are "D" shaped. They have a brass (?) bands. The are several groove going around the handle.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:16 pm

So what is the trick to cooking with a this thing? High heat? Low heat? Oil? No oil? How long & do you flip it 1/2 way?
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Lazybones » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:40 pm

rainjer wrote:So what is the trick to cooking with a this thing? High heat? Low heat? Oil? No oil? How long & do you flip it 1/2 way?

I find that you have to have the Iron hot. If it is not hot enough the waffle will stick. Be patient and don't try to look at the waffle too soon; It will tear in half if you do.

If your iron is seasoned and hot the waffle won't stick. Having said that; it won't hurt to spray some Pam on it if you want.
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:43 am

Jeremy,
All four of the Wagners I've reseasoned with wood handles were the Feb. 22, 1910 models... Yours is a bit older.
I can't say for sure, but my guess would be that they unscrew just like the newer old ones.
It doesn't look bad at all as far as needing to be reseasoned.
Yeap... Like Lee says, get your iron hot.
I put olive oil in my batter and I spray olive oil on the irons before pouring each waffle.
Do that and you won't have any sticking problems.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby rainjer » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:24 am

I ended up scrubbing it real well last night, oiling it & putting it over the burner on my Coleman Roadtrip BBQ to do a light re-season. I will attempt to make some waffles tonight.

What is the technique for cooking the waffle? Do you heat up one side, flip, add the batter, cook & flip? Oil between each waffle? How do you get them to cook even?

I think it is time for a Waffle 101 sticky.......
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby wolfy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:10 pm

I bought one of those low-base, round waffle irons a few years ago with the wooden handles. It has STOVER printed on top of it in large raised letters. On the opposite side it has smaller letters along the outside edge that says "stover" and "Freeport, Maine". Anybody know how old it is or about how much they're worth. I think I gave $10 for it at the time.
wolfy
Teardrop Builder

Postby dmb90260 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:57 pm

wolfy wrote:I bought one of those low-base, round waffle irons a few years ago with the wooden handles. It has STOVER printed on top of it in large raised letters. On the opposite side it has smaller letters along the outside edge that says "stover" and "Freeport, Maine". Anybody know how old it is or about how much they're worth. I think I gave $10 for it at the time.

If it is bigger than this one Small Stover I might offer you $13 for it. ;)
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby wolfy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:28 pm

Without going down to the shed and sifting through the iron pile.....I would say that the waffle itself would be around 8" in diameter as it pops out of the iron. Anybody else know anything about them?
wolfy
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cast Iron