If you MUST have a high Waffle Iron

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

hide

Postby Eunice » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:25 pm

Paul
Hopefully it will be a nice.

I made my syrup yesterday and had my first waffles this morning! first one was small. second one was a little soggy???? They were good though. It will be fun trying to figure out what is "just right"
Eunice
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:45 pm

Paul, where did you go Saturday??? We got lost going to Linden and back and you were gone. Tried out the China low base waffle iron today on my TD's camp stove. I turned it on high and it took about 1 min 40 sec on each side for perfect waffles. I used the Snoqualmie Falls Lodge waffle mix and it was terrific. I tried to use my Griswold but in all the excitement I forgot to spray Pam on it and everything stuck :cry: it's good to have and extra iron on hand :thumbsup: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby pgwilli » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:00 pm

O.K.
The UPS guy came like clock work at 7:10. The Girls love to fight with him through the window and rush the door, but I fooled ‘em again. Opened the garage door and took the package.

This product is, uh, CR@P, even for $15.99.
Very rough casting...

Not so subtle branding liberties...

tough little details like the 'hold open ears' on the swivel ball were just left off...

Oh well, I still have another high base to use with my other irons, right?
:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

This thing is so bad, I wouldn't feel right donating it as a raffle prize.
I'm not even going to season it - I'll probably sneak it into the Goodwill collection center after hours :shock:

My advice, take yur time and find a real Gris or Wagner or one of the US branded Chinese irons like Texsport people are giving good reviews.
Hope this saves someone $15.99 + shipping.

Your guinea pig,
paul
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:36 pm

OUCH you have been pirated for sure. I feel your pain :x I guess it's buyer beware. Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby mfkaplan » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:15 pm

I don't get it! Is this the Chinese waffle iron you ordered? Is it cast from an old Wagner? Isn't the Wagner name still owned by some other company called maybe General Housewares? I now wonder how many of the ones on ebay are fakes. The real Wagner I got off of ebay has a ball hinge and I don't see any ears. It uses the shape of the indentation on the base to stay open. The part that incloses the hinge on mine is a lot higher than yours. My early Griswold has what is called an acorn hinge. The shape of the hinge holds it open. The other thing I see about yours is that it dosen't seem to fit the base well.The bases of the various kinds seem to have some real differences in shape and size. The Wagner I have is a #9 and is noticably bigger that the #8 Griswold. Please don't ask why I now have two of them. It's not like I have anyone to make waffles for. The Wagner was covered in crud. I didn't think it was that rusty, but when I removed the crud, one paddle has a lot of rust on the outside and the base has a fair layer of rust. I'll probably set up the electrolysis tub this weekend.
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:03 am

Tough break Paul.....sorry about your misfortune...It would have been a keeper if the lid were cast to say..."joyous, happy waffle iron for your pleasantry" That would have made it a keeper!!!! :lol: :lol: Doug

check here... http://www.engrish.com/ for understanding of this type of humor...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:52 am

Paul, what does the inside look like? You might be able to grind the ball surfaces flat, shim it & put a pin in it to keep it together. Just a thought.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

guinea pig

Postby Eunice » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:21 am

Paul I am so sorry but thank you for being the guinea pig. I was considering getting one of them. I am glad I won one instead.
As suggested maybe there is some fixing you can do to make it better.
Eunice
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice

Postby pgwilli » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:02 pm

Hi Danny,
Ya - I wasn't expecting much, but I think I got a little less :lol:

Mary,
Yes it is the e-bay express waffle iron that they were selling for $15.99
I suggested via e-mail to the seller that it was probably a copy of and older Griswald or Wagner and she said she thought that it was, but couldn't say so or e-bay would pull her ad :shhh:
I have a Griswold that has triangular shapes cast into each hemi-sphere that function with the deeper socket you mention to hold the irons open. My Westrn Importing Heart iron has a more intricate shape, but it works the same.
The really lousy fit of the irons to the base was my Griswold irons on the new base. The irons that come with it fit ok.

Hey Doug,
That would indeed be a keeper :lol: Funny site....

Jeremy,
The casting is pretty rough but it would probably cook waffles.
I don't have anything to grind or drill cast iron, but that actually sounds doable. If you want to have a go, its yours.
I'll be aroung this weekend if you want to come get it.

Hi Eunice,
It was worth a shot, but I think I only paid $25 + shipping for my "real" Griswold. If people are patient, the real deals are out there for reasonable prices.
Last edited by pgwilli on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby Laredo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:03 pm

risk of buying off ebay without a guarantee of return if not satisfied.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby pgwilli » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:05 pm

I could return it for a 25% restocking fee, but for $16???
I ordered it to see if it was a viable option for folks...I'd say don't bother.
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:35 pm

Paul,
Yaa didn't get hurt bad at all... I bought a set of fake bagpipes from a guy in the UK way back...
There are a lot of fake Wagners out there... Don't know about the full size ones, but the dates on the small ones are the tell tell way to know if it's a fake or not... The real ones have script numbers, the fake ones have block numbers... That one of yours seems to have the block numbers... :thinking:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

$18.99 waffle iron by Rome Industriesfrom Amazon.com

Postby Esteban » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:41 pm

I'm not one of the folks bidding up old waffle irons on eBay. Last evening I bought a cast iron waffle maker for $18.99 by Rome Industries from Amazon.com. The Amazon.com user reviews are positive. I'll share my impression once it's delivered and tested out.

Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: $18.99 waffle iron by Rome Industriesfrom Amazon.com

Postby Eunice » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:37 pm

Esteban wrote:I'm not one of the folks bidding up old waffle irons on eBay. Last evening I bought a cast iron waffle maker for $18.99 by Rome Industries from Amazon.com. The Amazon.com user reviews are positive. I'll share my impression once it's delivered and tested out.

just curious....by the picture do you sit that directly on the flames or coals? Wouldnt it work better with a base?
Eunice
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice

Postby pgwilli » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:26 pm

Hi Dean,
I'm stll trying to figure out what a Norwegian would do with bag pipes..... :thinking:
Don't they use the stomachs not worth cooking in to make ...Oh never mind...
Ya, I was pretty sure I was getting the shaft out of the gate, but not the most expense mistake I've ever made ....I'm sure.

Hey Jeremy,
I think they coated it with fireplace paint. It was black going into the BBQ and after more than and hour at >600 it was still black.
I'm not sure this thing is worth trying to save :(.
Maybe the base would work as a sea kayak anchor... :thinking:
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

PreviousNext

Return to Cast Iron