I love the smell of waffles in the morning

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:54 am

pgwilli wrote:Hi-Jack--Did you figure out a campground for this weekend?

Hey, What's goin' on? Where, When? :twisted:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: syrup

Postby DRYVEM » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:08 am

keneunice wrote:I will put this in the recipe thread also but here is my homemade syrup that I think out does all of them.
I make my own vanilla.
DUTCH HONEY SYRUP
1 cup sugar
1 cup Karo syrup
bring slowly to almost a boil
1 pint whippipng cream
1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla. (depends on if homemade, real or imitation)
Do not bring back to a heavy boil because it will crystalize the sugar when you put it in the fridge.
this also freezes well.
TRUST ME THIS STUFF IS GOOD
Eunice

I made this today to go on our waffles. :yes: IT WAS SOOOOOOO GOOD! Thank you Eunice for posting this recipe.

Barbara
Barbara
Proud owner of a 2010 Martin Built Teardrop
DRYVEM
Lifetime member

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:41 am

Vermont Maple
Syrup Grades

Definitions for the different grades
of Vermont Maple Syrup Clicky

Paul:

Most people I talk to in Vamont just as soon have the darker grades of syrup,
as the flavor is stronger as the darkness progresses. Also the darker syrup is less expensive.
By reading the grading chart above you will better understand the flavors and uses.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby caseydog » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:12 pm

pgwilli wrote:Thanks Jeremy,
That might work. According to my favorite food consultants:
"Grade A Dark Amber --
Tasters were won over by the "natural," "rich, complex maple flavor" and "great depth" of this syrup. Though a few found it "too strong," most agreed that the "smoky flavor" provided a "hint of bitterness" that made it "yummy!"

Most of the Pure maple syrups I've tried have been thin and sweet more than flavorful. Probably Grade A mediun or light amber
That said, I ordered some Mapleine from McCormick's to try and resurrect Mom's recipe.

Hi-Jack--Did you figure out a campground for this weekend? Things seem to be busy with school getting ready to start up.

Pure Maple definitly has a stronger flavor. You can't use the same amount, or you overpower your waffles. I little bit goes a long way.

I use pure maple, which I find at the grocery, and use 1/2 the amount I would use with a corn syrup based product.

I also discovered in an article, that using a small amount of pure maple syrup, you actually consume fewer calories and sugars than you would with so called "light" syrups, becuase you need so much less of the maple to get the right amount of flavor.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby pgwilli » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:35 pm

CD,
You're right About eating less high fructose and artificial colors.
On the real Vermont stuff, I had the opposite experience.
I guess because it was Grade A Amber...too subtle for my taste buds, I guess.

I've ordered some Mapleine from Cresent Foods and I'm going to play around with it starting with Eunice's recipe.
I don't think Mom is going to be much help with her recipe (she's 93) and my memory may be better than what she was serving us anyway ;) .

Good news is we're coming up on the serious waffle season soon so there's lots of opportunity for practice. :applause:
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:08 pm

Waffles always get people's attention. Pancakes are OK but Waffles really grab ya'. What's the big difference aside from the waffle texture and the ability to hold syrup better. Waffles are more crisp than pancakes but why? Is the batter different?. I made some bisquick waffles (new convenient handled plastic bottle with dry mix in it. Add water (to the line on the side of the bottle and shake). This morning's were my best so far, but they didn't have the crunch that I like in a waffle. They tasted OK but the crisp texture was missing.

Tonight I bought some "Belgium Waffle" mix. Let's see if this is better. :o This mix takes eggs, oil and water.

I have a feeling that my iron might not be hot enough although I haven't measured the temperature. When I spray on PAM, it vaporizes like it should.

Any comments on the difference in the mix or in my temperature? :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby pgwilli » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:20 pm

Waffle batter is just pancake batter with more oil, I think.
At least according to Krustez 8)
Waffles have way more surface area directly contacting the iron so they are crispier.
I bought one of those cheap infrared thermometers from Chef catalog (<$20) that helps figure out how hot the iron halfs are.
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:29 pm

pgwilli wrote:Waffle batter is just pancake batter with more oil, I think.
At least according to Krustez 8)
Waffles have way more surface area directly contacting the iron so they are crispier.
I bought one of those cheap infrared thermometers from Chef catalog (<$20) that helps figure out how hot the iron halfs are.

Thanks pgwilli, the Belgium mix is from Krustez. I'll try it before I mess with the temperature. It can't be too far off since the cooking time is about 2 minutes per side (when the steam stops.

If I change too many things at once, I'll never know for sure which one fixed it. Then I'll have to duplicate two variables.
My boss once told me that it's easy to tell which of the multiple variables solved the problem; "It's the last one you tried". I'd rather do it one at a time. Too confusing for a feeble mind that early in the morning. :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:04 pm

I was just thinking about the crispy waffle thing...I like them crispy, but did some chocolate ones yesterday...being chocolate, hard to tell by the color if they were crispy or were going to be burned...does someone have a good crispy recipe? Do you think that more oil in the batter will aid in this? Mine came out too "fluffy" for me...once I reheat them in the toaster oven they are crispy...or if I don't watch them... smokin!!! Paul...how hot are your irons? I've been pouring batter at like 350... Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:14 pm

Yea... what temps do people pour their batter?
Seems 350f would be too high but not being an expert iron man
lets have an opinion from others?

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby pgwilli » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:28 pm

O.K.,
Of the SIX waffles I've made to date, the inside surface of the iron was 370-410 as measured with one of these:

I think a little cooler might be good, but remember, I was using boxed pancake mix with the extra oil added per the waffle iron recipe. The pancake recipe indicated a 375 degree griddle.

Once i recieve my Griswold High base and get it striped and re-seasoned, I will do alot more experimentation.
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:35 pm

thanks Paul!!! I've got a laser thermometer so can check it pretty accurately I guess....I'll try for more heat. I shoot the irons with pam and when I pour the batter, it sort of sizzles, maybe I should go for more heat, seal the outer edge and let the interior just "steam off" jeez...I need a life...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:37 pm

Wonderful Paul on your experimenting... 8)
With a high and a low base and that meter you are set and dialed into :D
analytical data heaven ~

Now my heat is completely different and much lower. Will be interested to
find out your results as you step around the heat for your tests.

Guess the batter consistency must be the same for the tests as you raise and
lower da heat?

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby asianflava » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:51 pm

doug hodder wrote:thanks Paul!!! I've got a laser thermometer so can check it pretty accurately I guess....I'll try for more heat. I shoot the irons with pam and when I pour the batter, it sort of sizzles, maybe I should go for more heat, seal the outer edge and let the interior just "steam off" jeez...I need a life...Doug

I used the laser thermometer for the Dutch ovens. Also comes in handy to shoot the tires and trailer hubs when traveling.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Crispier Waffles

Postby daveleb55 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:08 am

We "scratchbuild" ours. Kathleen found that adding around a teaspoon of "secret ingredient" *makes a crisper, crunchier waffle. Don't know if it will work with the premixed variety.

Sorry, I was just informed that if I reveal the secret recipe before the gathering in CA this September --I'll have to be killed or worse; (what could be worse?? NO WAFFLES!!!)

*edited by the Ministry of Waffle Truth and National Waffle Security

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:Waffles always get people's attention. Pancakes are OK but Waffles really grab ya'. What's the big difference aside from the waffle texture and the ability to hold syrup better. Waffles are more crisp than pancakes but why? Is the batter different?. I made some bisquick waffles (new convenient handled plastic bottle with dry mix in it. Add water (to the line on the side of the bottle and shake). This morning's were my best so far, but they didn't have the crunch that I like in a waffle. They tasted OK but the crisp texture was missing.

Tonight I bought some "Belgium Waffle" mix. Let's see if this is better. :o This mix takes eggs, oil and water.

I have a feeling that my iron might not be hot enough although I haven't measured the temperature. When I spray on PAM, it vaporizes like it should.

Any comments on the difference in the mix or in my temperature? :thinking:

[i]
Dave & Kathleen (The Waffle Queen)
"Get off the #@$% computer and GO CAMPING!"
daveleb55
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cast Iron