SLO Gathering Cast Iron Cooking Lesson

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Saturday DO cooking class

Postby Esteban » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:29 pm

Matt wants to do the SLO Gathering DO cooking class Saturday (Sept. 15) afternoon before the evening potluck. Yum yum! :) :applause: :thumbsup:

Saturday's looking like a really fun day. Waffles cooked on cast iron for breakfast. Matt and Joanne doing an afternoon DO cooking class. Then an evening potluck to top us all off. :) :D :thumbsup:
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Ma3tt » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:17 pm

Plus I'm bringing my ladder ball game, giant jenga, and some other games, also everyone that has an instrument better bring it guitar, drums etc......
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby flygal6 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:31 pm

Hey you all.....can I ask a favor for those of us who can't make it to the SLO gathering. Would anybody there be willing and able to videotape her class and upload it her for all to enjoy and learn from? I know for time and length it might have to be edited down some. I also know we have some marvelous people here who can make just about anything work. Doesn't hurt to ask. I have enjoyed watching the other video clips here and know JoAnn will do a great job (like she did with the DAWG)! I can taste the cobbler now.
Carol
Melting here in Chicago
flygal6
Teardrop Master

Postby Esteban » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:19 pm

The metal fire rings at Montana de Oro campground are about 30" wide. Thought it might help to figure how many Dutch Ovens will fit in one.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Ma3tt » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:29 am

Good thing my image doesn't show up on film.
Be Good
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby James & Avisia Flohr » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:04 am

Esteban; just a note to confirm you received my cancellation of reservation for this exciting gathering, but as I explained, we aren't always the master of our own fate. :oops: I hope the receipent of the space will enjoy the activities as much as I'm sure we would have. Jim (James & Avisia Flohr)
'Live, Love, Laugh and Be Happy'
James & Avisia Flohr
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Esteban » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:21 pm

Jim wrote:Esteban; just a note to confirm you received my cancellation

Jim, no I hadn't. Sorry you can't make it to SLO. Thanks for letting me know in time for someone else to come in your place.

Now there's one opening for the SLO Gathering. If someone here wants it please RSVP to:SLO Gathering RSVP
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

do class

Postby Eunice » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:43 pm

flygal6 wrote:Hey you all.....can I ask a favor for those of us who can't make it to the SLO gathering. Would anybody there be willing and able to videotape her class and upload it her for all to enjoy and learn from? I know for time and length it might have to be edited down some. I also know we have some marvelous people here who can make just about anything work. Doesn't hurt to ask. I have enjoyed watching the other video clips here and know JoAnn will do a great job (like she did with the DAWG)! I can taste the cobbler now.
Carol
Melting here in Chicago

this is a great idea. i would love to watch a video of the class.
Eunice
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Re: do class

Postby Joanne » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:53 pm

keneunice wrote:
flygal6 wrote:Hey you all.....can I ask a favor for those of us who can't make it to the SLO gathering. Would anybody there be willing and able to videotape her class and upload it her for all to enjoy and learn from? I know for time and length it might have to be edited down some. I also know we have some marvelous people here who can make just about anything work. Doesn't hurt to ask. I have enjoyed watching the other video clips here and know JoAnn will do a great job (like she did with the DAWG)! I can taste the cobbler now.
Carol
Melting here in Chicago

this is a great idea. i would love to watch a video of the class.
Eunice

Matt and I will be selling t-shirts and signing autographs after the class...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Esteban » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:29 pm

Joanne wrote:Matt and I will be selling t-shirts and signing autographs after the class...

Joanne's entourage includes a couple Las Vegas roadies, Dave and Kathleen, to protect her from the crowd and to handle t-shirt and trinket sales. Will there be a mosh pit up front too? :twisted: :D :) :lol: 8)
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:13 am

This sounds really cool!
Will there be a satellite fed "webinar"? For those of us on the east coast, who have already blown all of our vacation time/funds.. :lol: :lol:
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby martha24 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:45 pm

Maybe some of the locals can tell us what sort of store Laughing Oak Mercantile is in Arroyo Grande (not far from San Luis Obispo). On the Mair dutch oven lid lifter site, they list them as a dealer.
I wanted to check them out on our way up because they sure are nice. 8)
Laughing Oak Mercantile
345 Alder St.
Arroyo Grande, Ca
805-474-9566

Martha ;)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Italia » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:33 pm

Joanne & Matt,
I have a dutch oven that was given to me several years ago. It has been sitting in my garage collecting dust. How do I get it ready for the gathering (dutch oven lessons)?

Thanks,
Chris
Italia
Teardrop Master

Postby Ma3tt » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:41 pm

Joanne and I were talking and we both feel that many people have a fear of this cast iron stuff...... PLEASE DO NOT BE AFRAID! Look up a recipe, get the ingredients and go to the class and cook it for the potluck!!!!! there will be plenty of helpers, just give us a barley pop and we will help you with the dinner. If you are bringing an oven just make sure it is clean and seasoned, use the resources on this forum for cast iron care and seasoning Best collection of references ever......
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=17719

Thanks Steve!

I will break out the section of required things for dutch oven cooking out of my lesson plan so you all can use it as a check list.
Be Good
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

DO class

Postby Ken Fincher » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:12 pm

We went out & puchased some DO equipment last week, Jan has wanted to get some for awhile some of the item were already preseasoned and the stuff that was'nt she preseasoned them so she should be ready cook up a storm.(But I told her that I was going out to buy a new vehicle so I could haul it all :designing: )

There is a book Dutch Oven Cooking for dummies it has alot of interesting stuff in it. My favorate one. never put DO in the microwave :drofl:

We will see ya soon at the SLO gathering.
Thanks to the Highways & Byways & our National & State Parks,What a beautiful Country we live in.

( www.VegasTeardrop.com )
Ken Fincher
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cast Iron