Lodge: original vs. pre-seasoned finish ??

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Lodge: original vs. pre-seasoned finish ??

Postby cuyeda » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:17 am

I just bought my first 12" Lodge DO at Walmart (couldn't find one anywhere else local). There were two different finishes to select from.
Original (unseasoned) and pre-seasoned from the factory. The pre-seasoned, looks like it has a coating of some sort on it, because it chiped off a little around the edge.

I understand that the original fiinish may not be available any longer from Lodge.

Which is more preferred, original finish or pre-seasoned?
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Lodge: original vs. pre-seasoned finish ??

Postby Joanne » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:41 am

cuyeda wrote:I just bought my first 12" Lodge DO at Walmart (couldn't find one anywhere else local). There were two different finishes to select from.
Original (unseasoned) and pre-seasoned from the factory. The pre-seasoned, looks like it has a coating of some sort on it, because it chiped off a little around the edge.

I understand that the original fiinish may not be available any longer from Lodge.

Which is more preferred, original finish or pre-seasoned?

Hey Cliff,

I'm glad to hear that you have joined the the iron-heads!

I think that the pre-seasoned ovens are more of a convenience for new cast iron cooks. It seams like a lot of folks are initimidated by the task of that first time seasoning.

The reports that I have heard so far is that the seasoning is a good start, and like any other seasoning will get better with time. Given a choice I would buy the preseasoned just to be able to start cooking without having to take the time to do the first time seasoning.

Either way you got a good oven.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:54 am

Cliff,
The original finish isn't gonna be around too much longer, what stores have in stock is it... Once they're gone that's it no more originals..
Once seasoned, you can't tell the difference from an original and a pre seasoned, except from the markings on the box that it came in.
I prefer the preseasoned myself... Not only are they ready to cook out of the box, you don't need to remove the wax coating that the original comes caked with.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby cuyeda » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:34 pm

Joanne, Dean,

Thanks for the reply. I delayed my first practice run until I was sure that it was a keeper. It is so hot today, I could probably set the DO out on the sidewalk with food in it and be ready for dinner time. ha ha.

Hmm... Now thinking of what to bring to the SLO potluck. Shhh.. don't tell anyone it's my first time cooking with a DO. ha ha I better get that practice dish heated up.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:14 pm

Cliff, your secrets out. Don't worry you'll have plenty of company among other first time DOers in SLO.

I'm seasoning a 12" Lodge now. It's not too hard. On the other hand a little waffle iron from Amazon was encased in wax. Washed it in hot soapy water, dried it, and then put it in a toaster oven to dry. What's that burning smell? It took quite a bit of effort rubbing it with paper towels, more hot soapy water, and an old toothbrush to get all the wax off. Now it's seasoning in the oven too. Amazon had a really good "Friday sale" on 10" Lodge DOs last Friday, with free shipping, so I bit for one. It arrived today. Was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's a preseasoned Lodge Logic.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:32 pm

Esteban wrote:Amazon had a really good "Friday sale" on 10" Lodge DOs last Friday, with free shipping, so I bit for one. It arrived today. Was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's a preseasoned Lodge Logic.

Sale... darn, I was looking for a 10"! How much did you get it for? How do I find these Friday sale items?
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:15 pm

Cliff, a 10" Lodge was $29.99 with free shipping last Friday. I actually ordered one Thursday for $39.99. While checking Friday evening to see it had shipped I saw a Friday Special price of $29.99. I called Amazon and got a $10 credit to match the sale price. I posted a note about the sale in the cast iron section and sent you a PM. The sale price ended after midnight. You hadn't read the PM so I deleted it and the post in the cast iron forum. Today the price has gone up to $45.42 with free shipping.

The 10" DO was in my Amazon.com wish list for months. The price stayed $39.99. I finally decided to get one in time for the SLO Gathering. It was sheer good luck to snatch one at the low price. Then another pleasant surprise to find it was pre-seasoned.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby jimqpublic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:11 am

I think going to pre-seasoned only is a good business move for Lodge. New cast iron cooks are often put off by the trouble of initial de-waxing and seasoning. Also Lodge's suggested seasoning method of 350F is way too low so you don't get a good coating at first. I think the main reason they say 350F is that if you go higher the house fills with smoke. I prefer 450F but only with all windows open and the 600 CFM Vent-A-Hood on.

Last weekend I made 1000 sourdough pancakes on two Lodge griddles- One that I've had for 10 years and one I bought last week. The older one performed better, but the new one did pretty well with just the Lodge Logic coating.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Return to Cast Iron