Scouts & DO

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Scouts & DO

Postby 1849 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:20 pm

Hey all,

A quick question...my scout troop has done some DO cooking in the past, but the guy who owned the cast iron has moved away (and took it with him, the dirty rat). We're going camping this weekend and have planned a DO dinner. I've recently bought a couple Lodge pre-seasoned ovens, and was wondering, is it really ok to cook in them right out of the box? I don't think I'll have time to season them before we head out.

Elliot
Lower California
"Could you kindly tell me, friend, what time the show begins?"
Teardrop Advisor

do

Postby Eunice » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:24 pm

There are experts that will answer you but it is my understanding that it ok to use them right out of the box. I think that they will all come preseasoned pretty soon.
have fun on your campout
Eunice
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby Laredo » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:28 pm

They won't poison you. Read the directions, and avoid high-acid foods the first couple uses.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby wolfy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:50 pm

Yeah, I'm an old scoutmaster and even older Dutch oven cook and I agree that it is just fine to use the pre-seasoned ovens right out of the box. As with any new utensil, I would give it a quick rinse to disinfect and just oil it well before you use it.

Some of the more fat-producing foods may be be the way to go for the first few times, but I really wouldn't worry too much about anything except maybe something like chili that has a lot of tomatoes and beans in it. Both of those items are notoriously hard on a new seasoning in a fresh oven.
wolfy
Teardrop Builder

Postby 1849 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:02 pm

Hey, thanks all. I think we're planning on some kind of potato stew, not sure exactly what as the scouts planned it out. Will give it an oiling before we start. It sounds like we'll be ok with the pre-seasoned ovens.

We're camping at Malibu Creek State Park, which is a pretty nice park. It's been used for filming a number of movies and TV shows, such as Planet of the Apes. The opening scenes of MASH, when the helicopter is coming in for a landing was filmed there, and there's a couple old jeeps from the set still there. It would make a great place for a small gathering, will have to keep that in mind.

Elliot
Lower California
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Scouts & DO

Postby Joanne » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:09 pm

1849 wrote:Hey all,

A quick question...my scout troop has done some DO cooking in the past, but the guy who owned the cast iron has moved away (and took it with him, the dirty rat). We're going camping this weekend and have planned a DO dinner. I've recently bought a couple Lodge pre-seasoned ovens, and was wondering, is it really ok to cook in them right out of the box? I don't think I'll have time to season them before we head out.

Elliot

Elliot,

You can certainly use it right out of the box. That's the reason that Lodge has been moving that direction, to make the ovens more "user friendly" when they are new. Of course, as you use it more the seasoning will continue to improve. When I have new iron, I try to cook bacon, hamburger or sausage in it to get some extra seasoning starting to build up.

Have a great trip with the boys! As you know, you are teaching them skills that will last a lifetime.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby pgwilli » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:39 pm

...Or loan it to Dean to cook a Prime Rib in.... :lol:
(ok ... i'm going to bed)
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby 1849 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:40 pm

A quick report on our DO experience. One of our scouts had a recipe from his dad which included hash browns, grated cheese, cream of chicken soup, seasoning, sour cream and corn flakes. Forty-five minutes later we had a great tasting potato dish, first meal cooked in one of our troop's new DO. The preseasoning seemed to work fine.

Elliot
Lower California
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Laredo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:50 am

Excellent!

Congratulations to the Scouts.

Here is a meal we used to have good reviews on:
4 chicken leg quarters, well-rinsed and rubbed with a little corn oil
1 family-size pkg chicken-and-garlic flavor rice a roni
1 family-size can cream of mushroom soup
1 can evaporated milk and 2 milk cans water
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

In 1 tbsp oil or butter, brown rice-a-roni in bottom of DO. Lay chicken over browned rice-a-roni. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Add lid. Cook 45 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron