Need some advice?!!?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Need some advice?!!?

Postby Luckey » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:25 pm

I was wondering if I could sandblast alot of rust off of a dutch oven that i found in an old house.....???Then after that re season. I need some advice if it's possible or not??!!! Thanks Jarred
Luckey
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Need some advice?!!?

Postby Kevin A » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:16 pm

Luckey wrote:I was wondering if I could sandblast alot of rust off of a dutch oven that i found in an old house.....???Then after that re season. I need some advice if it's possible or not??!!! Thanks Jarred

In my opinion, sand is a bit too abrasive. I've cleaned several pieces of cast iron in the glass bead cabinet at work, the glass beads aren't nearly as hard on the surface finish of the iron as sand would be. I usually try to wipe the surface down with crisco (Not the buttered crisco, it contains salt)
as soon as I get the piece out of the cabinet to avoid rust. Then season it as soon as you have a chance.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Dale M. » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:05 pm

Rust can be removed by electrolysis....

Its basically using something as simple as battery charger, putting cast iron pot ( or "object") in slightly larger PLASTIC tub of water liberally laced with Arm & Hammer WASHING soda, putting the negetive cable on piece to be cleaned and positive cable on large steel or iron plate that is "tank" electrode....

May take 24 to 48 hours but its not invasive to whatever is left of cooking surface...

Check GOOGLE with this search string for more technical details "rust removal by electrolysis" ...

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DRYVEM » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:12 pm

Barbara
Proud owner of a 2010 Martin Built Teardrop
DRYVEM
Lifetime member

Return to Cast Iron