Anyone hanging their DOs from tripods?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby Grumpeyyy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:52 pm

I use them with a tripod and I also like to cook with mine in the fireplace. I even put a crane in the fireplace so I can swing my pots in and out real easy. I cook more in the fireplace than on the stove and when we go camping I do most of the cooking.

Grumpy
I was tired yesterday, I am tired again today, does that make me retired???????
Grumpeyyy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby caseydog » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:59 pm

Grumpeyyy wrote:I use them with a tripod and I also like to cook with mine in the fireplace. I even put a crane in the fireplace so I can swing my pots in and out real easy. I cook more in the fireplace than on the stove and when we go camping I do most of the cooking.

Grumpy

Cool. Do you have some tips on hanging heights and how much of a coal bed to build, and other nuggets of wisdom?

It seems like the seasoned cookers build a wood fire to make their coals, and then move the coals by shovel to under their DOs.
CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:43 pm

caseydog wrote:
Cool. Do you have some tips on hanging heights and how much of a coal bed to build, and other nuggets of wisdom?

It seems like the seasoned cookers build a wood fire to make their coals, and then move the coals by shovel to under their DOs.
CD

CD, here is a site that has tips for cooking over the camp fire.
http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/dutch ... m#Campfire

I've cooked biscuits over a wood fire in the DO but all of the heat was from the bottom. I ha to turn the biscuts after 10 minutes to get an even browning, but it worked.

Walmart has a tripod for about $15. I use it for soups and stews mostly and for bacon and eggs also. Kinda' like a hanging fry pan. :applause:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Grumpeyyy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:35 pm

hey Caseydog

I just kind of wing it. I get a good bet of coals to work with and use them like characoal, put some on top of the lids and some under the DO
I keep a close eye on things to see how its cooking and adjust thing as needed.

My wife loves it when she has to work on a weekend and she gets home and I have the fireplace fired up and a pot roast with all the fixins ready to set on the table.

I learned by playing with it. if you keep an eye on things its kind of hard to mess things up to bad.

So build a fire and give it a try thats what I did and my wife loves it when she don't have to cook

Grumpeyyy
I was tired yesterday, I am tired again today, does that make me retired???????
Grumpeyyy
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Cast Iron