Does anyone use their cast iron at home?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:42 am

doug hodder wrote:
Miriam C. wrote:Joseph it says "due to foot and mouth disease in the UK.

I thought the expression was "hoof and mouth" or are you just razzing Joseph? :thinking:
Doug

:lol: 8) Actually the website says foot N mouth. :lol: :lol: :lol: Now what that means is anyones guess but you know how those Englishmen are! Maybe they ticked off a customs official. 8) :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mike C. » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:30 am

From Wikipedia:

Foot-and-mouth disease (FMD, Latin binomial Aphtae epizooticae), sometimes called hoof-and-mouth disease, is a highly contagious and sometimes fatal viral disease of cattle and pigs. It can also infect deer, goats, sheep, and other bovids with cloven hooves, as well as elephants, rats, and hedgehogs. Humans are very rarely affected. Foot-and-mouth disease virus (FMDV) is the prototypic member of the Aphthovirus genus in the Picornaviridae family. This picornavirus is the etiological agent of the acute systemic vesicular disease that affects cattle and other animals worldwide. It is a highly variable and transmissible virus.[1]
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

foot n mouth

Postby RiffRaff » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:31 pm

I've suffered from "foot in mouth" all my life ...
:oops:
RiffRaff
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Joseph » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:02 pm

The website (which I am now able to open for some reason) says "Please note we are unable to ship orders outside of the UK due to foot and mouth restrictions currently in place." That doesn't explain why it is illegal to process and sell the lungs of sheep raised HERE in the US just like the liver, the kidneys or any other organ.

Joseph
Last edited by Joseph on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby kiacker » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:34 pm

As a vet I'll kick in my $0.02. The honest answer is because of the potential of BSE or Mad Cow Disease. The disease causing organism (prion) has been found in lung tissues in addition to brain, nerves, and bones in infected cows. Sheep do not get or carry Mad Cow Disease but do get Scrapie, a frighteningly similar disease. There are some in the veterinary research field that believe these two diseases are the same thing. The bad thing is that you cannot diagnose or identify infected sheep without running very specific tissue tests that take several weeks to get results. Not very cost effective. For this reason the Food Inspection Service considers lung tissue inedible for human consumption and will only allow it to be used in pet food manufacture (check the label of a can of Alpo). :shock:

The next question is if lung is potentially infected with BSE or Scrapie, what about my pet eating it. For one thing, lung tissue is usually not a major ingredient in pet foods (I would not feed my dog an all cow or sheep lung diet!). It's found mostly in canned foods and most pets eat mainly dry food. Yes, the lung tissue is usually denatured and cooked, but Scrapie can still be found to be active in tissues that were incinerated. At this time, no pets (meat eaters) have contracted the disease. Not because it isn't there but because they don't live long enough to develop the disease (takes years for the prion to establish itself then cause damage and symptoms). Humans on the other hand live much longer than pets and can develop the human form of BSE or Creutzfeldt-Jakob's disease. :(

So the moral of the story - I would watch my haggis ingestion to an occasional pleasurable indulgence instead of a regular dietary ingredient! :lol: :lol:
Lisa

My life's work is to be my dog's servant, pay his rent, drive him to the park, and keep his food bowl full!
kiacker
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:12 am

I fired up the old Wagner Sunday morning and made some waffles for breakfast. Topped with butter, powdered sugar and maple syrup they tasted so good.

I'm getting the teardrop ready for hibernation and saw the Waffle iron and said to myself "why put that away for the winter?" I leave the DO's inside and use them occasionally in the winter just for the heck of it anyway so why not the Wanger too. :thumbsup:

I'm still trying to get "chrunchy" waffles but have gotten the right combination down yet. They are still a little soft with a light crunch so I'll experiment a little more.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cast Iron