Does anyone use their cast iron at home?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Does anyone use their cast iron at home?

Postby Joseph » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:29 pm

I have two skillets - a 10" omelet pan (unmarked) and an 11" Griswold skillet that are the mainstays of my cooking. I also have a HUGE cast iron flat-bottom kettle that I use to make haggis - it's the only thing I have big enough to hold it!

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:06 pm

I made a Beef Roast in the Dutch Oven at home last night on the deck if that counts. Jane's going to make Turkey Stromboli later in the week and I'll toss it in the D.O. Even though we have two cast iron skillets we don't do that much frying. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby dguff » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:14 pm

I have a #3,#6,#8 and #9 skillets, a chicken fryer, waffle maker, griddle and two dutch ovens that we use all the time. A mix of Griswold and Wagner, all of it old. Love the stuff. We don't have any of it just for camping, just take what we need from the house.

Jerome :thumbsup:
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:29 pm

Ya know, I have some very nice cookware in the cabinets, but I keep my 2 Cast Iron Skillets on the stove and use them almost every time I cook. They were my Grandmothers and are still cooking great. :thumbsup:

Mk
Last edited by Mary K on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Geron » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:32 pm

Yep, shore do. Mine sit on the stove as well. Rarely use anything else.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wolfix » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Rarely use anything else........
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby AmyH » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:24 pm

I made a point of getting rid of all of my teflon cookware, now I only use cast iron (including a beautiful cast iron wok) and stainless steel. I love the cast iron!!
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

cast iron

Postby Eunice » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:38 pm

I use cast iron all the time. fry pans, sauce pans, griddles, waffle iron, tea pot, dutch ovens. I even have cast iron cooking utensils but I dont use them. I use wooden utensils.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby len19070 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:26 pm

Joseph
As I'm typing, I'm cooking a batch of Stuffed Peppers to be put away for later in a big 12 qt. dutch oven.

We all talked about, and missed you two last weekend at Parvin.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:57 pm

Joseph, I use my waffle iron on Sunday mornings and my 10" DO about once a week or so. Why not :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby mfkaplan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:07 pm

The teflon gradually died. I use my cast iron plus my Revereware which also dosen't die. Some of thes stuff is inherited and over 70 years old. I'm still adding to the cast iron collection.
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:12 pm

When I got married my wife would have nothing to do with cast Iron so my pans were put to the back. But more and more over the last couple months I've seen her pulling them out. :twisted: I think she's starting to see the beauty in cast iron cooking
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Gaelen » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:41 pm

I collect 1950s 'French' ovens (enameled cast iron) that I cook with indoors either on top of the stove or in the oven. I'm a slacker...only have one 12" DO...but I've used it both inside in the oven and outdoors over coals. I've got two enameled cast iron skillets and a couple of grill pans for winter grilling (mostly LeCreuset, all 2nd hand). But my main daily use cookware is a small, indestructible set of Cooks Essentials enamel and/or hard anodized cookware. The cast iron lives in the oven and the CE mainly lives on the stovetop.

I also have a collection of Corningware, glassbake, glazed and unglazed stoneware casseroles and a couple of stoneware baking sheets (pizza stone, and a big cookie sheet with sides.) And then there are the pyrex pie plates--you can never have too many pie plates.

I make a lot of acidic foods and sauces, and fresh dairy foods like yogurt, paneer or ricotta, so I prefer pans with enameled (non-reactive) interiors for those jobs. I also don't like pans that are so heavy when they're loaded with food that I need a winch to get them off the stove...really tough on my back and on my wrists. That's why I switched to the CE enamel and hard-anodized, and never looked back.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:12 pm

Used the waffle iron Sunday morning, the 12"-er for Chicken-n-Biscuits on Saturday night.
I keep the iron in a cabinet where I can easily get them all winter. I stock up on charcoal also!!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby caseydog » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:42 pm

I use cast iron for a lot of things.

If you have two cast-iron fry pans, you can make a great panini. Just heat both pans up, put your sandwich inside one, and put the other one on top. Who needs an expensive panini press.

Cast iron is great for steak, when it's too cold and rainy to cook out. You can start by searing the meat on the stovetop, and move the whole cast-iron pan into the oven to finish. It's incredibly versatile.

I have my antique Griswold cast iron, my Le Cruset coated cast iron, and my All-Clad tri-ply. Each has it's own purpose, but I can't imagine doing without one of them.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Cast Iron