Why Cast Iron?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Why Cast Iron?

Postby cablerunners » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi All,

Why are so many people interested in cast iron cooking and restoring cast iron cookware?

:thinking:

Seems it's heavy, rusts and would be awkward to haul to out camping when size and weight are considerations for gear.

What am I missing?

Why cast iron?

Respectfully,
-phil

(a guy with little cooking experience) ;)
cablerunners
Teardrop Master

Postby Outlaw » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:08 pm

I'd say simply put, it's a part of American Heritage. The bonus is, most everything tastes better in cast iron.
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:11 pm

Phil,

Here's the long answer to your question.

I haven't gotten hooked on cooking with coal heated dutch ovens yet, but have always used cast iron in the kitchen since I started cooking. As far as I'm concerned cast iron cookware is the best and safest way to cook. Heed the warnings against preheating chemically treated non-stick pans or putting them in hot ovens, which could create toxic fumes. As most experienced cooks know, you can't brown food unless you preheat your skillet, and I frequently transfer food from stove top to oven. So cast iron is a logical choice, especially in skillets, unless you can afford copper - which is ideal for sautéing because its heat distribution is incomparable - and the time to care for it

Cast iron has so many benefits. Well seasoned, it is nearly as nonstick as any manufactured nonstick surface and far more so than stainless, aluminum or even copper pans. Cast iron is practically free compared with other high-quality pots and pans ($20 for a skillet). In addition, it lasts nearly forever: the huge skillet I bought around 1970 for $10 is still going strong. Furthermore, it is an even distributor of heat, which you will instantly appreciate if switching from stainless steel or aluminum. And you can move it from stove top to oven without a thought.

Cast-iron pans are created by pouring molten iron into sand molds. After the metal solidifies, the sand crust is blasted off, and any rough edges are removed. This is pretty much the way cast iron has been made for centuries.

A couple of variables influence my iron buying decisions, the purity of the cast iron and the issue of seasoning it.

Lodge, the only domestic maker of cast-iron cookware, uses only pig-iron ingot and scrap steel converted back into iron to make its cookware, Anonymously made imported cast-iron cookware, though often less expensive, offers no such guarantees. In my experience the cheapest cast-iron pans have far more "hot spots."

But the biggest fear most people have about cast iron is the seasoning process. The metal is porous and rough, and until it gains a patina from use it is the opposite of nonstick. Lodge, in an attempt to make this a non-issue, has introduced a line of preseasoned cookware, which now makes up something like 80 percent of its sales. But I'd rather control the process, seasoning is simple.

Cast iron takes maintenance and most cookware is maintenance-free. But it seems a small price to pay for inexpensive, high-performing, safe, nonstick pans. When it comes to cookware, new is not necessarily better.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:09 pm

The only thing I would add to Steve's post is that it looks cool to cook with it.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby mb82 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:56 pm

I have only had two pieces of cast iron rust on me. Both times were from lack of use( skillets I got from my Grandfather that my Great Grandmother used) Yeah it is heavy but so is good stainless cookware. Nothing I have found browns meats like cast iron.
mb82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:59 pm

I use dutch ovens so I can "bake" while camping.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby dreadcptflint » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:39 pm

Simply put, nothing cooks like cast iron. The heat is even. It works better than non stick when properly seasoned. It is huge multitasker. It is incredably tough.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SaGR » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:59 pm

I used cast iron skillets at home all the time. It's what I learned on.

I use the dutch oven camping to bake in as Bledsoe pointed out. Just started using a new one three weeks back. The old DO lasted me 10 years (leg broke off and I couldn't find anyone to repair it) and it was probably 20 years old when I bought it.
Building a small bowtop Vardo
Build thread: http://tinyurl.com/yk4hnmd

Generic Benroy: Sold to FIL/MIL
SaGR
The 300 Club

Postby Jules Martel » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:49 pm

what are the brand to look for? the iron quality is all the same? :thinking: :Flippin Burger: :picnic: :chips:

feeling hungryyyyyyy. :)
Jules Martel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:15 am

Here's the short answer... (Advise really)
Go to a DOG. :twisted:
(Dutch Oven Gathering)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:35 am

Here's a medium length answer...
Reasons to use cast iron... Mainly Dutch Ovens while camping.
1. There is nothing that can't be prepared in a dutch oven...
2. You can fry, roast, bake food and even make ice cream in a dutch oven...
3. Cast iron is very forgiving... It's quite hard to burn something in a dutch oven.
4. A well seasoned dutch oven will give you the ultimate non stick cooking surface.
5. Easy clean up... Hot water.
6. It's fun to cook with dutch ovens in the outdoors...
7. Food tastes better when cast iron is used...
8. Did I say it was fun?...

I say go and attend a dutch oven potluck at a teardrop gathering or hit a local DOG... :thumbsup:

Let's see... How does prime rib, scalloped potatoes, apple vanilla cream cheese cobbler, topped with vanilla ice cream sound???
Or how about Philly cheese steak rolls, or an awesom pizza, or different types of baked breads sound???
ALL WHILE CAMPING!!! :thumbsup:
(All of the above are some of my favorites)

Now Phil,
You mention having little cooking experience... NO PROBLEM!!!
Go get yourself a 12" Lodge Camp Dutch Oven and we will get you cooking awesome meals in no time!!! :thumbsup:
It's too bad you didn't post your question a bit sooner...
IDOS (International Dutch Oven Society) just had their Fall Convention in La Pine, OR last month...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Dale M. » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:28 am

Jules Martel wrote:what are the brand to look for? the iron quality is all the same? :thinking: :Flippin Burger: :picnic: :chips:

feeling hungryyyyyyy. :)

No.... All cast iron is not the same..... Some of the best is Griswald and Wagner, both discontinued brand names.... Both still available at garage sales, flea markets, and charity resale shops, online auctions or trading sites.... LODGE is still making quality cast iron and it available amost anywhere, usually better "chefs" stores will have good selection of products (see Lodge online web siter for product line)

Stay away from "no name " items and most stuff made in China....

Generally the smoother the cooking surface the better the quality...

As other have said, "seasoning" is a all important step in enjoying cooking with cast iron... And always "heat" dry (over flame - or electric burner) CI after washing... By removing all the moisture from washing process will keep down rusting, but be careful to not over heat and burn seasoned surface...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Joseph » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:35 am

Dale M. wrote:Some of the best is Griswald and Wagner, both discontinued brand names.... Both still available at garage sales, flea markets, and charity resale shops, online auctions or trading sites....

And well worth the effort to seek out, at least for the skillets! Lodge makes a fine DO but just doesn't cut the mustard in the skillet department.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Jules Martel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:31 pm

hey dean, sounds more like GOD to me; good oven dutch... :lol:

feels betttttter that way, GOOD, great organized oven dutch....

thanks for help all, were hunting now, watchoout, will keep you psted on the finds.

ah, also, enjoyed another great steak on the weber baby q tonigth. man that cast iron does miracle, had for yrs now, probably would eat a dog t=bone of it.... :R
Jules Martel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:30 pm

(Good 'Ol Dutch...)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Next

Return to Cast Iron