Waffle Iron, how to clean?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Waffle Iron, how to clean?

Postby cuyeda » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:20 pm

Just got a waffle iron from Ebay. The handles are made of wood, so putting it in the barbecue may not be a good idea. I have read about electrolysis, easy off, etc...

My question is... Would an abrasive blaster with a fine grit aluminum oxide be ok?

Glass bead would be less abrasive, but I don't have glass bead media. I do have aluminum oxide. I was thinking of stripping it down, then reseason it.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Geron » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:28 pm

Are the wooden handles removable?

They slip right out of mine. Supposed to be held in by a screw but it's gone.

Some day I'll turn a couple handles from hardwood for mine.

Checkem' I'm guessing you can take them off/out then into the barby.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cuyeda » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:37 pm

Unfortunately, the wooden handles are not removeable.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:39 pm

what brand waffle iron is it? Do you have some photos?
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Rust?

Postby daveleb55 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:49 pm

Is it rusty? a good sandblasting might get the rust off. If it's not rusty, just heat it up on the stove (or over some charcoal) without setting the handles on fire (!!) I get it hot enough to sizzle a drop of water and then run scalding hot water over it, scrub with a vegetable brush. Rinse, repeat if needed.
Then season. Waffle irons are a bit tricky to get seasoned properly. Use lots of oil the first time you use it. Oil it liberally between waffles. You may need to clean it after the first couple waffles. Once it gets properly broken in, a quick rinse and scrub is all it should need. Oil it while it's still hot. Wipe off excess oil with a paper towel, let cool.

Dave & Kathleen
"Get off the #@$% computer and GO CAMPING!"
daveleb55
Teardrop Master

Postby cuyeda » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:25 am

Dave and Kathleen,

It's not dry rusty. It is a little bit oily rusty. In other words, it looks like a thin layer of rust underneath a coat of oil (I got it on Ebay). I haven't tried heating it up to cook on yet. I will warm it up, and try scrubbing it down first. If I am not satisfied, I am going to experiment and hit it with the sandblaster.

Not unless the experienced cast iron gods sends me a sign that I shouldn't treat the iron this way. :worship: I just feel better stripping it down to season it myself. For all I know it could be 50 years of stuff on it.

Kevin,
I bidded on a few others, but the prices went beyond by bids, and sure there were much better irons out there. I won this at a reasonable price, and really don't know what to look for. If there is a next time, I will make sure the handles are not made of wood.

My camera LCD broke today, so shootin blind. Didn't get the handles.

Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:45 am

cuyeda wrote:Dave and Kathleen,

It's not dry rusty. It is a little bit oily rusty. In other words, it looks like a thin layer of rust underneath a coat of oil (I got it on Ebay). I haven't tried heating it up to cook on yet. I will warm it up, and try scrubbing it down first. If I am not satisfied, I am going to experiment and hit it with the sandblaster.

Not unless the experienced cast iron gods sends me a sign that I shouldn't treat the iron this way. :worship: I just feel better stripping it down to season it myself. For all I know it could be 50 years of stuff on it.

Kevin,
I bidded on a few others, but the prices went beyond by bids, and sure there were much better irons out there. I won this at a reasonable price, and really don't know what to look for. If there is a next time, I will make sure the handles are not made of wood.

My camera LCD broke today, so shootin blind. Didn't get the handles.

cuyeda, I bought an old Wagner very similar to yours but with long metal handles. Mine has crusted on soot (oil?) from many years of use. This stuff is baked on and is very hard. I decided to leave it on (for character) and it works great as is.

Yours look newer than mine since mine has the patent info scribed in by hand. (1892)

I used PAM vegetable oil to season with since the spray is easier to coat the waffle surface.

If it's not rusty it can be reseasoned and used with the aged look that comes with the years.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Ma3tt » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:38 am

electrolosys will be a more friendly way to get that crud off, but either way do it soon I want some waffles!
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby cuyeda » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:06 am

Ma3tt wrote:electrolosys will be a more friendly way to get that crud off, but either way do it soon I want some waffles!

I guess I could prop it up so that the wood handles are sticking out of the water. It will be my first attempt at electrolosys, I have the instructions, and battery charger.

Matt,
Change of subject... are these the plans you used for your wood bench?
Camp Table Plans here. These plans may have more pieces than your table configuration.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ma3tt » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:15 am

My table was built in the 50's by a local scout master and his boys are all eagles and married, I told him how I would use it and was very happy with it's future. I say start a new thread and put that up there! Others would enjoy a matching table to the tear.
Be Good
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby Kevin A » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:17 am

Cliff,

I've glass beaded three of the Wagners, the handles unscrewed on all three.
Just be careful with them.

You mentioned sand blasting, I'd prefer using something less aggressive. You might try walnut shell or plastic media if you can't use glass.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Mark72 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:35 pm

Take the time to use the electrolysis method. I think you will be pleased with the results. I used a small soft bristled wire brush around all the fine details and in between the waffling. Man did that thing come clean! Now I just have to get a successful waffle out of it.

Mark :thumbsup:
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:03 pm

Mark72, etal,

I followed the recomendations, set up the electrolysis method, and it is working great so far.

Question: How often do I need to change the water, or do I need to?

The water gets mucky brown, as it should. Is it better to get a fresh solution? Is it better to wash with soap between dunks to increase success? I tried a few searches, but couldn't find any details to answer these questions.

How long, and how many repetitions does it usually take to clean? Using my waffle iron pics above for the example.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ma3tt » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:50 pm

24 hours is enough unless it is a total basket case, they warn you that there is hydrogen gas produced during this process, I tried real hard to blow it up and couldn't get a spark. I tried bottling the gas, zip lock bags...etc. Man did they get my hopes up
Be Good
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby Mark72 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:08 pm

Sorry for the slow come back. After the 24 hours of electrolysis use a small soft bristled wire brush and hot soapy water for a good scrub rinse and dry in the oven quickly to keep it from flashing ready for seasoning!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cast Iron